Oteil on playing with Bob, Mickey, Billy, etc

Oteil on playing with Bob, Mickey, Billy, etc

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:36 am

Oteil gave a real nice interview, talking about how he plans to approach this show.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/colum ... tion=false

Dead & Company Bassist Oteil Burbridge on John Mayer, 'Intimidating' Jam Sessions & More

The band will make its live debut on Halloween at New York’s Madison Square Garden.

Back in April, Billboard reported that John Mayer could be joining some members of the Grateful Dead for shows in the fall. On Wednesday, the rumors came to fruition with the announcement of Dead & Company’s live debut on Halloween at New York’s Madison Square Garden.

Grateful Dead 50th Anniversary: All Our Coverage

The band consists of Grateful Dead members Bob Weir, Mickey Hart and Bill Kreutzmann, who will be joined by John Mayer, Allman Brothers Band bassist Oteil Burbridge and Jeff Chimenti on keyboards.

Speaking to Billboard the day the Dead & Co. Halloween show was announced, Burbridge explained how he got involved and his approach to playing with the band. He also shared his thoughts on the Fare Thee Well shows, his favorite Grateful Dead songs, embracing their intimidating legacy and jokes that he is not at liberty to say whether the band is planning more gigs.

The Grateful Dead Is Resurrected Once More, This Time With John Mayer: Exclusive

How did you get involved in Dead & Company? Who asked you to perform with the group and what was your initial reaction?

I was first called by Matt Busch, [Bob] Weir’s personal manager. He said that Bob wanted my number. I was told that I was being considered for the chair but that there were other bassists that they were looking at too. When my wife and I were in New Orleans for Jazzfest, a picture got leaked of [Phish bassist] Mike Gordon with [John] Mayer at Weir’s studio. We were like, “Oh well...” Then a few weeks later we got another call from Matt Busch.

What have the jam sessions so far been like?

It’s hard to describe really. I think it would have been easier if I hadn’t become a fan yet. After playing with [Bill] Kreutzmann and Scott Murawski in BK3, I was much more familiar with the music and had my own favorites. When I would hear the Dead in passing, which was frequently, my ear was way more tuned to it. I would get sucked into it a lot more than before. My wife plays Grateful Dead music around the house a lot. She always has. I had become a fan by the time I went into those jams, so I was a lot more nervous. The one thing you don’t want to do while you’re playing with the guys from Dead is think -- especially apprehensive, fearful, second-guessing thoughts. You just want to be in the flow.

Grateful Dead Drummer Mickey Hart on John Mayer Shows, Nodding to EDM: 'This Is Deadtronica'

Did you catch or have you heard any of the Fare Thee Well Shows? If so, what are your thoughts on the concerts and how the band sounded with Trey Anastasio on guitar?

My wife Jess and I caught the first show in Santa Clara. We loved it. I heard all the comparisons between the different shows, but we only saw that one and I thought it was great. We went backstage at set break to talk with the guys about the new gig. We met Mayer for the first time there and he was super friendly, humble and enthusiastic.

I thought Trey did an amazing job. There can be so much pressure on you if you let it. I guess Trey didn’t let it. He seemed to me like he was perfectly melded into the stream of the collective band consciousness. He wasn’t trying to draw attention to himself. He was there as a true servant of the songs and the legacy. I was so proud of him.

Mickey Hart said that you will bring “some funk to the groove.” Can you explain how your style differs from Phil Lesh and how you will honor the legacy and serve the music?

It’s so hard when you come in to bands like the Grateful Dead and the Allman Brothers Band where the fans actually do know and care who the bassist is. You don’t want to copy the original guy but you feel obligated to honor what bass melodies the founding bass player crafted for the song. It’s even harder in the case of the Dead though because with [the Allman Brothers’] Berry Oakley there’s usually a specific bass line that he wrote that you can play in the verses and choruses, so you can play that and then in the jams you totally do your own thing. With Phil there’s not usually a written, repeated bass line but more of an approach or philosophy that drives his choices. Billy told me that he purposely wanted to play the opposite of conventional bass so that means it’s like the negative of a photo. Or the equivalent of anti-matter to matter. That means downbeats, heavy grooves, tons of bottom, are gonna be totally elusive. Like Mercury.

He’s one of two people that I find impossible to copy. Allen Woody was the other one. I’m not gonna even try. The one thing I’m gonna do is try to play as gently as possible when I feel compelled to copy him. There’s a real delicate side to the Dead that I connect with from jazz recordings and some other acoustic music. I know they were really loud too but there’s a real yin approach to the music a lot of the time that I think I can tap into. At the same time I’m gonna try to play the gig as if Phil were standing onstage with me at the time. I have actually done that a couple of times so I know what it’s like. I would never dream of trying to copy him while he’s standing right beside me. Besides, Weir, Kreutzmann and Mickey don’t want me to play like Phil. I’m pretty damn sure that Phil doesn’t want me to either. I don’t think Jerry would want me to. I’m going to try to be as empathetic as possible while being as authentic as possible. I don’t see any other way to approach it.

Grateful Dead Concerts Made $52 Million, Set Record for Biggest Music PPV Event Ever

Have you ever performed with John Mayer? What are your thoughts on him as a guitar player and what do you think he will bring to Dead & Company?

I never have before, but from conversations we’ve had, I know how far down the rabbit hole he’s gone with Grateful Dead music. He is so madly in love with it. When you have the skill and the talent that he has combined with being that in love with it he’s gonna do something really beautiful. It’s impossible to please every Dead fan. We are both probably way more focused on making Bob, Bill and Mickey happy. Besides, I think it was Leonard Bernstein that said, “I’ve been all over the world, countless times, and the one thing I’ve never seen is a statue of a critic.” Of course if ALL the fans hate us then we have a problem. But we both love the music and I think that love is always gonna prevail.

Do you think the shows may lean towards the bluesy rock side since Mayer is known as a proficient blues player?

No. I think when you sign up for this gig you are planning on leaving the solar system right off the bat. The whole idea behind the Grateful Dead is no boundaries right? None. It’s needs to lean one way one minute and another the next. If it doesn’t then we ain’t the right guys for the gig.

Everyone is going to curious to hear the interplay between Mayer and Bob Weir. When playing live and improving with the Allman Brothers Band, how much focus did you put on what Derek Trucks and Warren Haynes were playing and how did that influence what you played on bass?

It’s everything. Whoever is soloing is the “lead singer” at that time. You make the bed for them as best you can. You want them to be able to soar higher than they could by themselves. Gregg [Allman] approaches his solos totally differently from the guitar players. Bill Evans approaches his sax solos differently from either Gregg or Derek [Trucks] or Warren [Haynes]. Even if it’s seven different guitar players in a row they’re all going to be different. It takes time to learn a person’s tendencies. When Weir and Mayer do enough shows together it’ll happen naturally. Same for me. Kreutzmann and I already have a deep chemistry established but there’s four other guys and we all have to merge into each other fully.

Grateful Dead Weekend in Chicago: How Many People Were Arrested for Marijuana Infractions?

What are your favorite Grateful Dead songs and which ones are you most looking forward to performing live?

I’m really looking forward to songs I haven’t played before with Bill: “Jack Straw,” “Tennessee Jed,” “Ramble On Rose” and “Stella Blue.” Man there are so many. Jesus. Then there’s the ones that I do know that I Iove. “Birdsong,” “Estimated Prophet,” “Help on the Way/Slipknot,” “Eyes Of The World,” “Bertha,” “Sugaree,” “Althea” and on and on. We covered “Dark Star” on Jerry's birthday with the Aquarium Rescue Unit. Our fans really dug it.

Do you have a favorite Grateful Dead concert you attended or have heard?

I couldn't even begin to try to single out a single recorded show! I saw one when Jerry was still alive. I wasn’t really tuned into it like I was for GD 50. I was more focused on the scene than the band back then. I tuned in a lot more when the Allman Brothers Band did some shows with the Dead more recently. My ARU bandmate Jimmy Herring also played with them and that was such a treat for me to see him in that band cause I had no ABB background and he had no Grateful Dead background and we were both like, “how did we end up here???”

When it comes to musical improvisation how have you taken your jazz and funk influences and successfully merged them into the rock world?

Jazz and funk both are rooted in blues, R&B and gospel, and they in turn are rooted in African music, just like rock and roll. They all fit together easily cause they have the same mother. It doesn’t really require any effort or thought honestly. I have played some classical music too so that helps in certain instances.

Grateful Dead Too Big To Fail at Fare Thee Well July Fourth Show: Concert Review

Needless to say The Allman Brothers Band enjoyed a fair share of jamming and improv. But do you have an idea on how performing with ABB will be different from working with Dead & Company?

I think it’s gonna be a lot looser and more unpredictable with the Dead & Company. More like the Aquarium Rescue Unit. Dead fans would always compare us (ARU) but we never got it. Now I understand. It’s not our styles that are alike but our philosophies. Last night we played this one song “Jack The Rabbit” with the ARU totally different than ever before. It wasn’t really the same song anymore, but it was. It happened totally by accident and we just purposely didn’t “correct” it. We just let it be what it was right then and it was way more fun. I don’t think that would necessarily have happened in the ABB.

Other than New Year’s Eve, Halloween is probably one of the best holidays for a concert. What do you expect from the dedicated and loyal Grateful Dead fans at Madison Square Garden on Halloween?

Holy crap! I can’t even imagine what a freak show it’s gonna be. It’s gonna be epic. I was laughing my head off today at the band’s ongoing group texts about what costumes they wanted to wear. Too funny!

The Grateful Dead’s legacy is unparalleled. What does it mean to usher in this new era for the band?

It’s intimidating, honestly. If I think about that too much it might freak me out. But it’s such an honor and it’s definitely going to be a pleasure. It’s one of those things that I never could have seen coming. Just like meeting Col. Bruce Hampton or getting the gig with the Allman Brothers Band. I am just going to breathe deep and go with the flow.
Rusty the Scoob

Re: Oteil on playing with Bob, Mickey, Billy, etc

Postby strumminsix » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:01 am

Reading stuff like that makes me excited to see what comes of it!
strumminsix

Postby keirweir » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:04 am

strumminsix wrote:Reading stuff like that makes me excited to see what comes of it!

Ditto and I actually enjoyed Meyer's playing with Phil.
keirweir

Postby strumminsix » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:21 am

keirweir wrote:
strumminsix wrote:Reading stuff like that makes me excited to see what comes of it!

I'm gonna get roasted for this but imma say it anyway...

Phil & Friends bores me. They sound like an ill prepared pickup band most of the time. Last time I saw them he had Chris Robinson with him and the dude didn't know the tunes. And my feelings keep getting more and more supported. It's insulting to offer up expensive tickets to watch you and your friends play your favorite song whether they know them or not. And the slowed down tempos and space jams. Nope. Music has to move me!

That said I have tried to watch the Mayer and Phil cuts on youtube and they actually turned me off to the idea of Mayer. Then I see cuts of JM doing Dead tunes and I'm really digging them!
strumminsix

Postby waldo041 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:06 am

strumminsix wrote:
keirweir wrote:

Phil & Friends bores me. They sound like an ill prepared pickup band most of the time. Last time I saw them he had Chris Robinson with him and the dude didn't know the tunes. And my feelings keep getting more and more supported. It's insulting to offer up expensive tickets to watch you and your friends play your favorite song whether they know them or not. And the slowed down tempos and space jams. Nope. Music has to move me!

That said I have tried to watch the Mayer and Phil cuts on youtube and they actually turned me off to the idea of Mayer. Then I see cuts of JM doing Dead tunes and I'm really digging them!

I think the " they sound like an ill prepared pickup band" .....or...... the Phil slowed Jams is a product of who he surrounds himself with, because when those type of comments don't stand up when he surrounds himself who can bring it.

~waldo
waldo041

Postby waldo041 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:08 am

strumminsix wrote:
keirweir wrote:

I think the " they sound like an ill prepared pickup band" .....or...... the Phil only plays slowed Jams is a product of who he surrounds himself with, because those type of comments don't stand up when he surrounds himself with players who can bring it.

~waldo
Last edited by waldo041 on Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
waldo041

Postby strumminsix » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:58 am

waldo041 wrote:I think the " they sound like an ill prepared pickup band" .....or...... the Phil slowed Jams is a product of who he surrounds himself with, because when those type of comments don't stand up when he surrounds himself who can bring it.

~waldo

Bro, I am not arguing Phil can't bring it. Clearly, it's brought in those videos. But still, he chooses who to go on the road with and some of his arrangements have been lack-luster, IMO. So if Phil is in charge of who the band is one can't necessarily defend said lack-luster nights on the people. I blame the guy putting the band together!
strumminsix

Postby hippieguy1954 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:49 pm

I don't think any of it has been "lack-luster" by any stretch. Quite the contrary!

The videos Waldo posted are proof in the pudding. That's the real deal! Like I said in the other thread, the grateful dead and company is an alternative knock off band....not Grateful Dead. Sure it will sound great, could be new and exciting, but not The.......or anything close....total alternative. As well as a money grab.
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby strumminsix » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:01 pm

hippieguy1954 wrote:I don't think any of it has been "lack-luster" by any stretch. Quite the contrary!

The videos Waldo posted are proof in the pudding. That's the real deal! Like I said in the other thread, the grateful dead and company is an alternative knock off band....not Grateful Dead. Sure it will sound great, could be new and exciting, but not The.......or anything close....total alternative. As well as a money grab.

Waldos examples are from '15. My opinions of P&F were from years earlier as I said above.
strumminsix

Postby hippieguy1954 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:13 pm

strumminsix wrote:
hippieguy1954 wrote:I don't think any of it has been "lack-luster" by any stretch. Quite the contrary!

Waldos examples are from '15. My opinions of P&F were from years earlier as I said above.

My apology, I missed that. I thought we were talking about contemporary P&F. I remember some sketchy P&F's, but I chalked those up to Phil being the nice guy he is and giving a lot of players the opportunity and fun to play around with him.
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby strumminsix » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:29 pm

hippieguy1954 wrote:
strumminsix wrote:

My apology, I missed that. I thought we were talking about contemporary P&F. I remember some sketchy P&F's, but I chalked those up to Phil being the nice guy he is and giving a lot of players the opportunity and fun to play around with him.

No problem dude. thinking about it further, i should have put the years in there. most folks probably don't remember when CR was touring with Phil! apologies back!
strumminsix

Postby tatittle » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:50 pm

good posts Wald :0 Boy he killed that Ramble on Rose in the 2nd vid. Good food for my sleepless night.
tatittle

Location: Johns Island, SC via NJ; Bklyn; Detroit; Charleston; Boulder; Miami; D.C.; etc

Postby Brandon Bowlds » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:20 pm

I love Phil, always have. I kind of agree about the Phil band. Seems like a really good tribute band. Stu A does a great job. I just wish it was something more than that.
I wish the core 4 could all still play together. GD50 was awesome. It was the real deal at times without having a Jerry clone. I wish that is what they could do all the time.
Brandon Bowlds
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby aiq » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:29 am

Phil constantly shuffles the deck, I like certain groupings much more than others. Some of the bands that play mainly at TXR are not as strong as others.

I like what Phil does to bring in Scofield and Krasno to hit the jazz a bit harder.

The Q is my favorite post Jerry. That band was a force of nature.

Also like Weir with Kimock, Voodoo Dead ( Kimock again), I like something about most of the groupings.
aiq

Postby mkaufman » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:18 pm

I just saw Oteil with Aquarium Rescue Unit. By far, a much better band than any post-GD offshoot. Refreshing too.

Yes, there were some excellent Q shows. It's been a long time since I listened to this one, but I think it's my fav:

https://archive.org/details/2003-09-25.paf.sbd.bertha-ashley.20287.sbeok.flacf

mk
THE best way to score gear: http://www.auctionstud.com

For discounts on extended Dell warranties: http://www.advantech-ny.com/DellComputerWarranty/
mkaufman

Return to Phil Sound