Re: I have Mission Control

Postby wisconsindead » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:55 pm

bump
wisconsindead
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound

Postby GuildBass » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:31 pm

I'm certain the end results will be worth the wait.
Studying Lesh in South East MA
GuildBass
tiger
tiger

Postby zambiland » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:27 pm

According to the folks at the Alembic forums, it's now in the hands of Gruhn Guitars. It looks like the center block has been inlaid but that's about it. Maybe if you go down there you can hold it! And tell them to put Alembic hardware and pickups in it. It would be such a disappointment if it ended up with Nordstrand or Seymour Duncan pickups and some generic bridge. It needs to be outrageous and cutting edge.

http://alembic.com/club/messages/395/21 ... 1437931503
zambiland

Postby broesau » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:53 am

I live in Nashville and I guess I have to stop buy and see it. If they let me I'll take some pictures and get some info on what the plans are for it.
broesau
Mickey
Mickey

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:13 am

Share if you find out please! I hope they understand what they have there. I'd feel better if it were in Alembic's hands but I trust that Rick knew he was giving it to somebody who cared about its history.
Rusty the Scoob

Postby broesau » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:15 pm

Well, I just flew out to Santa Fe today and won't be back in Nashville until the 15th. I will go buy when I get back. In the mean time, does anybody know any good music happening in Santa Fe in the next week and a half? Saw Phish in Nashville last night, sounded really great.
broesau
Mickey
Mickey

Postby broesau » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:47 am

Here's an update on the bass from my buddy that went to Gruhn on Saturday looking to see it. This is from a back and forth with him and Rick Turner on Facebook:

Chris T.: So I'd love to hear the story on Mission control( Phils earliy Alembic) and what's going on with it? they wouldn't let me see it but it sounds like are you working on an article on that?

Rick Turner: Mission Control? I have no idea. George got impatient with what I was doing and asked for it back. Unless he gets Ron Wickersham to do the electronics, it's unlikely to come out anywhere near right at this point. Oh, well... At least I got most of the wood restored.

Chris T.: I was just curious as to how that bass got all of its guts removed? and bastardized.. it must've gotten away from Phil many years ago..whtevr.. Walnut- musta weighed a ton! I remember seeing Phil wearing it with a shag carpeting strap to ease the pain..or maybe not so bad because of the vast control cavities for the motherboards and what not... I doubt you're going to make another one-?

Rick Turner: Actually, there are better ways to accomplish what that bass could do now...piezo quad pickup, for instance. And I'd put all the switching and EQ outboard. All doable again, though, and better! Just takes a client who wants that stuff.
!

Bill H: Damn shame that George won't show it. It was state of the art, with the filters, switching with the 10 m.o.p. buttons, quad pickups, etc. Rick's right though, all of that can fit into a medium size pedal now. The craftsmanship is incredible on the bass. A true piece of art.

Chris T: I didn't ask George- he was there looking at a banjo & we spoke briefly- no big whoop, it's a mere shell of it's former self.

Rick Turner: The bass has been stripped of all it's pickups and electronics, and a huge "bathtub" was milled in the body to so some sort of experimental stuff. The bass was major-league f'd up. I did manage to restore the body wood.

Chris T: I saw the cutting board size replacement put in Rick, on the Alembic site... That musta been tricky...?

Rick Turner: I did the neck laminate section first, then the two sections of koa top. Yeah, it was tricky, but it gets the thing back to some sort of reasonable starting place.
broesau
Mickey
Mickey

Postby tigerstrat » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:13 am

Holy crap. You get distracted by the real life grind, kids, politics, facebook cat videos and general lack of gear dissatisfation, gradually stop checking posts to see what the latest Mutron knockoff is or what each Jerry's stand-in uses in his rig...

...and look what juicy developments you miss! How amazing that Mission is creeping back!

But hey Rick, one tiny wee request... can you set it up as a lefty?
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby zambiland » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:28 am

tigerstrat wrote:Holy crap. You get distracted by the real life grind, kids, politics, facebook cat videos and general lack of gear dissatisfation, gradually stop checking posts to see what the latest Mutron knockoff is or what each Jerry's stand-in uses in his rig...

...and look what juicy developments you miss! How amazing that Mission is creeping back!

I think it's out of Rick's hands at this point. I'm really hoping it goes back to Alembic for the rest of the restoration.
zambiland

Postby tigerstrat » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:55 pm

zambiland wrote:
tigerstrat wrote:Holy crap. You get distracted by the real life grind, kids, politics, facebook cat videos and general lack of gear dissatisfation, gradually stop checking posts to see what the latest Mutron knockoff is or what each Jerry's stand-in uses in his rig...

I think it's out of Rick's hands at this point. I'm really hoping it goes back to Alembic for the rest of the restoration.

Argh. Just like me to freak out before reading all the way to the end of the thread.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby zambiland » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:11 pm

Maybe we should take up a collection to have it restored by Alembic and then time share it!

I wonder what it would cost.
zambiland

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:05 am

I'd be interested even if we just did a kickstarter to see it get restored correctly and I didn't get much if any access to it. Do we know who its actual owner is at this point and how to contact them?
Rusty the Scoob

Postby zambiland » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:12 am

Rusty the Scoob wrote:I'd be interested even if we just did a kickstarter to see it get restored correctly and I didn't get much if any access to it. Do we know who its actual owner is at this point and how to contact them?

I believe it's in the possession of George Gruhn in Nashville. We could call his shop.
zambiland

Postby wisconsindead » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:09 pm

Damn. Now I really wish I would've asked Phil about this bass when I had the chance. He must not care much about it :cry:
wisconsindead
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound

Previous

Return to Phil Sound