I have Mission Control

I have Mission Control

Postby Rick Turner » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:32 pm

In the "what a long strange trip it's been" department, Mission Control, Alembic #'74-0008 is in my shop for a ground-up restoration. I'm going to document the process for Fretboard Journal.

One nice thing about the totally hacked condition (thanks, Turbo Tom...hope to ruin something you built someday!) is that the LED side dot markers still work after 40 years!

Also there is absolutely no validity to the rumor that any frets were incorrectly placed. The fingerboard lay out is fine.

Making new pickups for it based somewhat on what I was doing in the early 1970s but with some updates and tweaks.

Can't say much more about the project, but Mission Control will live again. In it's quadness...and stereosity.
Rick Turner
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Re: I have Mission Control

Postby waldo041 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:45 pm

Awesome news! Thanks for sharing with us here Rick!

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby TI4-1009 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:40 pm

"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:54 am

This is fantastic news!!! Definitely makes my Monday morning brighter. Can't wait to see the progress! :cool: :hail: :peas:
Rusty the Scoob

Postby Searing75 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:10 am

So cool! Love the thunder from that bass!
All's well that sounds well.
Searing75
Billy
Billy

Postby rugger » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:21 am

Very cool new. Definitely brightened my morning. Question: how long do you anticipate the process taking?

John in San Diego
rugger
Phil
Phil

Postby Rick Turner » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:20 am

This is going to take months and months. I need to replace the entire face that Turbo Tom so thoughtlessly destroyed...the center section/neck laminates as well as the koa top wings. I need to design and make new pickups....in this case two wide aperture mono/stereo pickups for neck and bridge plus a quad piezo bridge, and I'll be working with John East on the electronics for the "normal" neck and bridge pickups. And I will refinish the instrument; it needs it!

I'm not going to attempt to redo the pickup switching network; it was always twitchy and extreme overkill/confusing. But it will live in two channel mode (neck on output A, bridge on B), true mag stereo mode using the neck and bridge pickups with N/S, S/N hum cancelling, and full mono/stereo/quad piezo bridge mode. The piezos I make now are far superior to the magnetic quad pickups I made in the mid 1970s for tone and separation. I think when it's done, it will be significantly better, and simpler than it was in 1974 while still having the essential features. When done, it should probably feed a six channel stereo mixer that could have direct outs on each channel, too, to be able to get the full quad experience. If I were starting from scratch, I'd probably keep all tone control circuitry off-board, but this is a restoration...at least a partial one.
Rick Turner
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby TI4-1009 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:49 am

Very neat.

Skimp on the shielding- we want it to still make the cool hums and buzzes when a camera comes in close- like in the GD Movie :lol:
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby HeadSpace » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:38 pm

Glad this valuable artifact is in the best possible hands and look forward to its restoration. One thing though.
Forgive my ignorance: Who is Turbo Tom and why/how did he mess up the mission control bass?
HeadSpace
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:21 pm

Love the sound of all these plans! Very happy this bass is back in the right hands.

Very excited to see that John East is involved too, he makes the best bass preamps that are currently easily available on the retail market IMHO and I'm still grateful that he helped me wire up the second of my two ACG preamps in an unorthodox way. :hail:
Rusty the Scoob

Postby zambiland » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:09 pm

This is awesome news! The question does remain. Where was this thing hiding out for so long? :-)

Thank you so much for checking in with us, Rick. I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say that I'm so glad it's in your hands. I have no idea who Turbo Tom is/was, but being able to rebuild it is better than not having anything to work with at all!

Glad I have a subscription to Fretboard Journal!

Out of curiosity, what sort of preamp/filters will it have? I have an ACG preamp designed by John in my Modulus and it's a great sounding preamp. At this point, I don't use the filters all that much, but the preamps has an excellent basic tone.
zambiland

Postby zambiland » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:24 pm

Rusty the Scoob wrote:I'm still grateful that he helped me wire up the second of my two ACG preamps in an unorthodox way. :hail:

How so?
zambiland

Postby jalevinemd » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:19 pm

Who is Turbo Tom?
jalevinemd
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Thu May 01, 2014 6:02 am

zambiland wrote:
Rusty the Scoob wrote:I'm still grateful that he helped me wire up the second of my two ACG preamps in an unorthodox way. :hail:

How so?

I was wiring it with a bypass switch and no volume pot in a P/J so I can get some Phil tones in a pinch along with John Kahn's more traditional P tone, but it had a super loud pop/thump whenever I flipped the switch. Turns out the volume pot is needed to bleed some voltage off the output capacitor to ground, and putting a 10k ohm resistor between the output and ground did the trick nicely. John East himself chimed in on my thread with that info. :cool:
Rusty the Scoob

Postby Rick Turner » Thu May 01, 2014 11:39 am

Turbo Tom was a Phil roadie at one point. He'd previously worked for the McLaren F-1 team. He did a pretty great job destroying the face of Mission Control. I suspect that it happened in the days of too much Peruvian Army marching powder...days that went on way too long.
Rick Turner
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Next

Return to Phil Sound