LESH / GORDON bass rig

Re: LESH / GORDON bass rig

Postby zambiland » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:33 pm

Phil Lesh101 wrote:
Dozin wrote:Just checked out the TRI vid and it doesn't look like Phil had his rig there. I know Phil currently uses the Meyers cabs.

I don't think he ever played Phil's Meyer rig but he said it was because of his appreciation of Phil's tone. The NYE run was the first time he played with the new rig... for him anyways.

He's actually played a number of Phil's Meyer rigs going back to around 1996 when Kidd brought out Phil's rig for him to try out during tech rehearsals in California before a Phish tour after Jerry died. He also brought some of Phil's basses along as well. It was a fun experience, as both of us had wondered what it would be like to play some slap bass using Phil's setup, so he got to find out!

While the last few rigs haven't belonged to Phil, they've been pretty much equivalent in fundamental ways. The current one is more or less what Phil is playing, so it just depends on how pedantic you want to be in saying he hasn't played Phil's rig. That said, he doesn't sound like Phil to me, he's got his own thing very much going on. That's the cool thing about Meyer rigs, Modulus basses, etc. They put out what goes in.
zambiland

Postby Dozin » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:42 pm

So how do I relay to my bass player you need to get that Chewing gum sound? :lol:
"If you get confused,...
Listen to the music play"
Dozin

Postby Phil Lesh101 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:02 am

Get that bubble gum tone with some meatball effect...
"I didn't ask them to misspell anything to prove their authenticity, but I believe they're legit." ~ Rusty The Scoob.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV9EGVZio2M
https://archive.org/details/DA2013-10-19
Phil Lesh101

Postby spacebassed » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:14 pm

Dozin wrote:Just checked out the TRI vid and it doesn't look like Phil had his rig there. I know Phil currently uses the Meyers cabs.

Are you talking about the "Move Me Brightly" thing they did for Jerry's birthday? If so, there were one or two Ampeg Portaflexes on stage - I couldn't tell if they were B15n's, B15r's, or B18n's... I didn't get a good enough look. There was also another amp - maybe an SWR Redhead???. I just remember the Portaflexes sticking out because I'm a B15 nut.
spacebassed
Vince
Vince

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:12 pm

spacebassed wrote:

Are you talking about the "Move Me Brightly" thing they did for Jerry's birthday? If so, there were one or two Ampeg Portaflexes on stage - I couldn't tell if they were B15n's, B15r's, or B18n's... I didn't get a good enough look. There was also another amp - maybe an SWR Redhead???. I just remember the Portaflexes sticking out because I'm a B15 nut.

Redhead is very likely. They've been common in Phil projects and it was Mike's back-stage/practice amp for a long time, maybe still is.
Rusty the Scoob

Previous

Return to Phil Sound