From 5-string to 6-string and back to 4.

Re: From 5-string to 6-string and back to 4.

Postby zambiland » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:53 pm

I have an SWR workingman 400 watt solid state amp as well. Do you think I'd be better off trying that? I really like the sound of the tube amp though, especially on the highs. I also have a Jazz but I tried that and always go back to the P. I noticed that Phil played a Jazz for a bit there though. Any ideas what strings he was using while playing that one?

I would give this a try. Phil used the preamp out of this amp for a while in the 80s. It's a pretty good sounding amp (I'm not fan of SWR speakers, otoh).

While Phil was using a Jazz, my guess for strings the first time around would be whatever flats were available (ca. mid 60s), second time around, maybe D'Addario half-rounds.

If you really want to go nuts, and be like Phil in terms of increasing the level of high-tech, split the output of your bass so each pickup gets its own amp. Run the lows through the SWR and the highs through the tubes!
zambiland
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Re: From 5-string to 6-string and back to 4.

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:34 pm

Phil had a brief Fenderish phase from about 1980 to 1982 - this includes his Irwin 4 string that I believe had SD Quarter Pounder pickups and mostly sounds like a P-bass to me, the Jazz that you mentioned with no pickguard and the finish stripped, and I believe a G&L L2000 for a little while. I'm not sure what strings, possibly still the D'Addario Half Rounds? It's not a period that I've really focused on all that much.
Rusty the Scoob

Previous

Return to Phil Sound