Re: I have Mission Control

Postby HeadSpace » Thu May 01, 2014 5:01 pm

Ah, got it. Thank you.
HeadSpace
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby jalevinemd » Thu May 01, 2014 8:53 pm

Rick Turner wrote:Turbo Tom was a Phil roadie at one point. He'd previously worked for the McLaren F-1 team. He did a pretty great job destroying the face of Mission Control. I suspect that it happened in the days of too much Peruvian Army marching powder...days that went on way too long.

Thanks for the info.
jalevinemd
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby tatittle » Thu May 01, 2014 9:03 pm

Come on now...there were clearly bugs living in the guitar that had to be removed by digging them out. The fact that everyone cant see them is only evidence of my extraordinary senses. Is the sun coming up already?
tatittle
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Location: NJ via Bklyn; Detroit; Charleston; Boulder; Miami; D.C.; etc

Postby zambiland » Thu May 01, 2014 9:19 pm

tatittle wrote:Come on now...there were clearly bugs living in the guitar that had to be removed by digging them out. The fact that everyone cant see them is only evidence of my extraordinary senses. Is the sun coming up already?

Ouch!
zambiland

Postby moonliner » Fri May 02, 2014 11:10 pm

Very exciting news. I'm so glad this bass was found and is in your hands again. Thanks for letting us know about it!
moonliner
tiger
tiger

Postby Grouse » Fri May 16, 2014 2:58 pm

I may have to get a subscription to Fretboard Journal just for this! Super cool news...
Grouse
welcome
welcome

Postby zambiland » Wed May 21, 2014 7:40 pm

Grouse wrote:I may have to get a subscription to Fretboard Journal just for this! Super cool news...

Fretboard Journal has already featured some great early Alembic in the David Crosby issue. Excellent article by Rick about his 12 string with good photos which include Phil's Starfire undergoing modification.
zambiland

Postby wisconsindead » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:51 pm

Any updates on the status of Mission Control?
wisconsindead
welcome
welcome

Postby Rick Turner » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:21 pm

I've started in on replacing missing wood. I got some Osage orange and duplicated the neck laminate layup...Osage, walnut, and maple...and inlaid it between the neck and past where the original tailpiece was mounted. Next I'll inlay two pieces of koa to fill in the top on either side of the central neck beam. I decided not to completely replace the top, even though some of the repair seams will inevitably show, but better that than doing more horrendous damage to what is left of the original top. I think I can match the color and grain reasonably with some koa I got from my pal John Reuter ( Roberto Venn School of Lutherie...major Deadhead ).

Still mulling over pickups and electronics. My thought is to bring this bass forward about 40 years and honor much of the original intent while allowing what I've learned in that time to come forth. Yes, it will get a quad pickup, but this time it will be one of my piezos, and the full quad output may wind up as an option. The neck and bridge pickups will be self-hum canceling, and they will be mono/stereo pickups, that is, in mono mode, each will be a hum canceller with coils that sort of overlap for the A and D strings. The effect in stereo mode is a true stereo pan, and in this mode, the pickups buck hum from neck to bridge, neck to bridge. The magnetic arrangement is:
N S
S N

I'll use some filter electronics from John East, and the two channels will stay separate at the normal output.

I'm not even going to try to duplicate all of the micro-processor pickup assignment switching that was touch switch operated on the original setup. That was all the white circles on the bass side of the face. I'll just do inlays there and maybe pop LED's in next to them for kicks.

I am documenting the hell out of this process, and I'm writing this all up for an article for Vintage Guitar Magazine.

Much thanks to George Gruhn for finding Mission Control and sending it to me for the restoration.

OH, it's in the original case as well.
Rick Turner
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby Staemius » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:25 pm

Cool! Thanks for the update Rick!
Staemius
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:52 pm

Thanks for the update, Rick! I've been wondering how this is coming along! :peas:

Do you mind me asking what the scale length is? I've always wondered that. Any other insights on how it gets its tone?
Rusty the Scoob

Postby TI4-1009 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:02 pm

Thanks Rick! Saw you quoted in the VG article on Stanley Clarke this month.
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby Rick Turner » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:16 pm

Mission Control is a "short scale"... 30 5/16" nominal scale without any intonation compensation. It was based on the Guild Starfire scale.

How does it get the sound? Everything, starting with the neck construction, then the pickups, then electronics, and, of course, the strings. Playing it through 36 D-140s with four McIntosh 2300's driving them didn't hurt, either.

But the magic ingredient? Phil. Don't get overly hung up on the gear. It helps, but the player is the thing.

I always wondered how other amplifier companies would have rated the Macs if they'd be their amps. That 300 Watts per channel would have crept up quite a bit, I'd bet! The biggest problem with those things is that the slew rate isn't very good by modern standards, but for low end, they sure delivered the goods. The older 3500's...the tube amps...did better with highs which is why they remained as the EV tweeter amps in the Wall of Sound.
Rick Turner
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Previous

Return to Phil Sound