'75 Weir's Studio Sound

Re: '75 Weir's Studio Sound

Postby strumminsix » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:59 am

jeffm725 wrote:
strumminsix wrote:Again, last night: setup amp very trebbly with just enough bass to not sound thin, strong mids. Then EQ'd out the highest end. Very close.

But I've suggested this a few times already....


Strummin,
Totally agree on your recipe to get in that ballpark. Not a doubt. Just knowing MK as I do :smile: he is not going to rest until he gets confirmation of the full signal path on track 9 cd 1 of rehearsal A on the 3rd Tuesday of Feb 1975!

You may be right, but his question was, "How would one describe and reproduce this sound? "

I got it easily, actually.
User avatar
strumminsix
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6647
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:13 am
Location: Chicago

Re: '75 Weir's Studio Sound

Postby mkaufman » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:26 am

Strummin,
Totally agree on your recipe to get in that ballpark. Not a doubt. Just knowing MK as I do :smile: he is not going to rest until he gets confirmation of the full signal path on track 9 cd 1 of rehearsal A on the 3rd Tuesday of Feb 1975!




:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bingo!
THE best way to score gear: http://www.auctionstud.com

For discounts on extended Dell warranties: http://advantech-ny.com/mik/advantech/DellComputerWarranty
mkaufman
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1358
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:26 pm

Re: '75 Weir's Studio Sound

Postby jeffm725 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:28 am

I used to have a HD130 as well. Great Clean amps!

They are the opposite of the standard jerry rig in that the Pre-amp section of the Musicman is solid state and the Power section is Tube!
They have stupid amounts of power.
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1072
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:16 pm
Location: Chester, CT.

Re: '75 Weir's Studio Sound

Postby mkaufman » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:29 am

tigerstrat wrote:Jerry appears to play the Boogie, which also appears to have a K120 and power tubes

Bob's cab looks to be perhaps a Musicman with back removed, one K120 is visible out... never seen a 2x12Musicman cab like that but the hardware and construction looks right... perhaps associated with the HD-130 head he uses with a Cerwin-Vega cab at 9/28/75?


Jerry - Boogie
Bob - MusicMan

That would be consistent with my understanding of 1975.

So...I guess we can't see if Weir is mic'd?

mk
THE best way to score gear: http://www.auctionstud.com

For discounts on extended Dell warranties: http://advantech-ny.com/mik/advantech/DellComputerWarranty
mkaufman
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1358
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:26 pm

Re: '75 Weir's Studio Sound

Postby mkaufman » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:32 am

jeffm725 wrote:They are the opposite of the standard jerry rig in that the Pre-amp section of the Musicman is solid state and the Power section is Tube!
They have stupid amounts of power.


Jeff - that really depends on the year. I have the original HD-130 Reverb, with is all tube. Solid state came later.

http://pacair.com/mmamps/Misc__Info/Mod ... chart.html

mk
THE best way to score gear: http://www.auctionstud.com

For discounts on extended Dell warranties: http://advantech-ny.com/mik/advantech/DellComputerWarranty
mkaufman
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1358
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:26 pm

Re: '75 Weir's Studio Sound

Postby mkaufman » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:34 am

strumminsix wrote:Again, last night: setup amp very trebbly with just enough bass to not sound thin, strong mids. Then EQ'd out the highest end. Very close.

But I've suggested this a few times already....


Strummin - I hear ya - just need some time to try it. My ears are telling me JBL's w/ metal domes...

mk
THE best way to score gear: http://www.auctionstud.com

For discounts on extended Dell warranties: http://advantech-ny.com/mik/advantech/DellComputerWarranty
mkaufman
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1358
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:26 pm

Re: '75 Weir's Studio Sound

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:49 am

mkaufman wrote:
tigerstrat wrote:Jerry appears to play the Boogie, which also appears to have a K120 and power tubes

Bob's cab looks to be perhaps a Musicman with back removed, one K120 is visible out... never seen a 2x12Musicman cab like that but the hardware and construction looks right... perhaps associated with the HD-130 head he uses with a Cerwin-Vega cab at 9/28/75?


Jerry - Boogie
Bob - MusicMan

That would be consistent with my understanding of 1975.

So...I guess we can't see if Weir is mic'd?

mk


we see a mic stand in front of Jerry's Boogie, but not in front of Weir's cab, or the drums. I'd call these rehearsal shots.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
User avatar
tigerstrat
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4628
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:20 pm
Location: Portland,OR

Re: '75 Weir's Studio Sound

Postby jeffm725 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:52 am

mkaufman wrote:
jeffm725 wrote:They are the opposite of the standard jerry rig in that the Pre-amp section of the Musicman is solid state and the Power section is Tube!
They have stupid amounts of power.


Jeff - that really depends on the year. I have the original HD-130 Reverb, with is all tube. Solid state came later.

http://pacair.com/mmamps/Misc__Info/Mod ... chart.html

mk


interesting....and cool. Mine was the solid state/tube combo...didnt know they had an all tube one in that model as well. learn something new everyday.
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1072
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:16 pm
Location: Chester, CT.

Re: '75 Weir's Studio Sound

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:03 pm

jeffm725 wrote:
mkaufman wrote:
jeffm725 wrote:They are the opposite of the standard jerry rig in that the Pre-amp section of the Musicman is solid state and the Power section is Tube!
They have stupid amounts of power.


Jeff - that really depends on the year. I have the original HD-130 Reverb, with is all tube. Solid state came later.

http://pacair.com/mmamps/Misc__Info/Mod ... chart.html

mk


interesting....and cool. Mine was the solid state/tube combo...didnt know they had an all tube one in that model as well. learn something new everyday.


in the late 70's the HD130 changed to having a solidstate preamp and tube power... the opposite of the post-1972 Garcia approach.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
User avatar
tigerstrat
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4628
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:20 pm
Location: Portland,OR

Re: '75 Weir's Studio Sound

Postby playingdead » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:00 pm

I'd put my money on a preamp out or direct box to the board, and mixed in some with his mic'd amp.
User avatar
playingdead
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1724
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:55 am
Location: Boston, MA

Re: '75 Weir's Studio Sound

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:55 pm

I was gonna say that. At first Weir had that chimey top end like a JBL at low volume, but it's SO hi-fi on top, and real dry sounding and does sound like a tube preamp going direct. Maybe a JBL, maybe direct. Pickup-wise, it sounds like some combination of humbuckers and singles. I don't know what that guitar had for pickups, but it kind of sounds like the warmth and fatness of humbuckers, and then a single added for the sharp, crispy edge.

Perhaps a warm, fat setting with the bright switch on.

Brad
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1054
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:15 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO - USA

Re: '75 Weir's Studio Sound

Postby mkaufman » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:20 pm

It was HSH - good ears Brad!

mk
THE best way to score gear: http://www.auctionstud.com

For discounts on extended Dell warranties: http://advantech-ny.com/mik/advantech/DellComputerWarranty
mkaufman
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1358
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:26 pm

Previous

Return to Bobby Tone

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest