I played my recently completed Cowboy
clone at a gig on Saturday and it was fantastic! I am so excited. Less time searching and more time for playing!
My guitar is a heavily modded Matsumoko-made Vantage Artist 800 VA-800 "Phantom". In the late 70's and early 80's, Matsumoko made some great
guitars including Electra, Aria Pro II, Westone, Skylark, Epiphone, Washburn and more. Incredible bang for the buck!http://www.matsumoku.org/models/vantage ... s/pg3.html
I chose this guitar because it shares many of the same characteristics as the Cowboy
- 25.5" scale fretboard (as opposed to the 24.75 Ibanez Artist scale)
- maple/walnut thru-neck
- ash wings
The fretboard is rosewood as opposed to Cowboy
's which was ebony. The fretboard is beautiful and the frets are like new.
The electronics are as follows:
- Dimarzio Virtual PAF DP196 (neck)
- Dimarzio Virtual Vintage DP410 2.2 (middle) - adjustable to 4 positions!
- Dimarzio Virtual PAF DP197 (bridge)
- on/off toggles for each pickup
- neck & bridge pickup have switches for HB series, single coil & HB parallel
- 3 volume controls (one per pickup)
- 1 master tone control
- every cavity is seriously shielded
The guitar plays & sounds great. Just a joy to play. It's lighter than an Ibanez Artist too! To achive the
sound, I turn on all 3 pups and set them all for single coil. Interestingly, setting all three volume pots and the tone pot to 10 yields the perfect sound. I guess that maybe one master volume control may have sufficed... I have not adjusted the middle pickup at all - it seems perfect where it is now.
btw...my rig is now simply guitar -> amp ('68 Showman Reverb TFL5000D - it's a Twin head) -> 1x15 cab with a JBL M31-4 speaker. The M31-4 is a 4-ohm Fender D130F re-labeled for Peavey amps. My amp volume was set between 3.5 & 4. Plenty loud and crystal clean - just perfect!
Let's see if I can post pictures. If not, they can be seen here:http://s1018.photobucket.com/albums/af3 ... %20Cowboy/