DSO in Seattle

DSO in Seattle

Postby James-T » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:24 pm

First time seeing these guys. Watched a few vids in the past. Everybody says the same thing. They are amazing. For a cover band.

But I have to say that Rob dude is a monster player. I'm a Jerry guy, but he was so perfect in the mix and playing such spot on accompanying to the modal playing of Jeff in the big jams (playing and other one), that he was the guitar star last night.

Really great chording, fills, accompanying solos, tone and stage presence.

I'm feeling lucky being an early 70's fan. They recreated a Portland show from July 72. Good 3.5 hours of playing.

Very tight band. The only thing missing for the younger heads is the love you feel seeing one of the founding Dead members in the flesh. But I did watch P&F's recreation of a late 71 show at Terrapin Crossroads, and these guys played circles around Phil's band. I suppose that's what 30 years of playing together gets you! Uber tightness.

And Jeff's setup was pretty paired down, and he got a great tone through his Strat. His playing was way over the top. I liked him as a player more than John K and Stu Allen. He's like the best of both those players wrapped into one package, with just fantastic vocals to boot!

Peace,

James
James-T

Re: DSO in Seattle

Postby hippieguy1954 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:55 pm

Glad you took the plunge! Definitely worth it. I've seen them several times over the years. They are awesome and on a big roll these days!
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby Searing75 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:58 pm

I go see them whenever I can. They are nailing it! The Dark Star Jubilee is an amazing time!
All's well that sounds well.
Searing75

Postby waldo041 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:19 pm

In 72, Jerry would have only had a Wah pedal and in March the Blaster would have began being used. So it would make sense since they were creating a 72 show Jeff would have the paired down effects chain. But he still used a Modded SMS Classic, Mcintosh MC2300 and JBL's , pretty much the basics of Jerry's rig up til the end.

~waldo
Disclaimer: I make and sell Buffers. I also sometimes Modify, Build and sell preamps and amplifiers. My opinions are not intended to be sales pitches. I am a one man shop and prefer to spend time with my wife and family, i work full time on call and love to spend my spare time doing other things. I only make, modify or build things for those that seek them.
waldo041

Postby James-T » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:40 pm

Thanks Mike for pointing out the obvious. But yes I was surprised at his choice of rig and what was interesting was he used a Mac. Not period correct. The wah was. But the point of my musings was on my total awe of his technique and skill on the Stratocaster.

Here's a guy that can coax amazing tones out of a simple rig. Stu Allen was the same at P&Ps. Looked like he played through a twin with a modded SG. Jerry style mods with a dual sound perhaps.

But his tone was spot on. For the period and in general.

And I'm feeling lucky because back in the early 80s we always lamented they didn't play like they used to.

This was like being in a time capsule. These guys really rock. So glad I didn't see them recreate an 80s show. This was my kind of GD setup.

Pretty cool stuff.

Peace.

James
James-T

Postby mgbills » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:17 am

I'll be at the Portland show tonight. Can't wait! I want to see that TB500.

I love DSO. Compared to the shows with the last remaining members (The Dead) ...DSO is a better experience for me. I enjoyed Further very much as well.

I've seen them 50-75 times (?). I liked them 10 years ago in the tiny Capital Theater in Olympia, WA. My sons were too young for the Jerry days, but we all enjoy DSO together.

Good times!
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby mgbills » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:17 am

I'll be at the Portland show tonight. Can't wait! I want to see that TB500.

I love DSO. Compared to the shows with the last remaining members (The Dead) ...DSO is a better experience for me. I enjoyed Further very much as well.

I've seen them 50-75 times (?). I liked them 10 years ago in the tiny Capital Theater in Olympia, WA. My sons were too young for the Jerry days, but we all enjoy DSO together.

Good times!
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby zambiland » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:00 am

I'm playing with Rob this weekend (and his son, who's a great guitar player, too) in Vail and Denver. Should be fun!
zambiland

Postby Searing75 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:59 am

Awesome man! Enjoy. Tell him we say hello from Rukind, and that he is great!

Oh, and tell him he better bring it at Jubilee!!! :cool:

Chris
All's well that sounds well.
Searing75

Postby James-T » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:26 am

Hey Zambiland. Wow that's awesome. I saw those shows mentioned on FB.

I'd take that opportunity over tics for the Dead anyday.

Enjoy! And give us some post show highlights.

Peace,

James
James-T

Return to Bobby Tone