Reverb units - opinions ?

Reverb units - opinions ?

Postby shannonjim2 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:10 am

I am trying to create a smaller (aka Cheaper) rig and curious for opinions on reverb units/pre-amps. My main rig has a Sarno SMS pre-amp, UE-700, Mossvalve Tubeworks.

So, this smaller rig has a hand me down QSC power amp (not tube), and I am looking to snatch a reasonable pre-amp with reverb from Ebay. Any ideas for a reasonably priced pre-amp with good reverb ?
shannonjim2
welcome
welcome

Re: Reverb units - opinions ?

Postby Griffyote » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:25 pm

I saw a Mesa Boogie 50 preamp a while back that had reverb and was in the $250 range.i was thinking at the time,if I was putting together a little rack unit for home or small venues I would have snagged it. I don't know what reasonable means to you.I would love to hear of some more reasonably priced preamps. :-)
Griffyote
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby mkaufman » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:47 pm

If you're looking for a small Bobby rig, just get a Roland JC77. Clean late 70's tone.

mk
THE best way to score gear: http://www.auctionstud.com

For discounts on extended Dell warranties: http://advantech-ny.com/mik/advantech/DellComputerWarranty
mkaufman

Postby Dozin » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:57 pm

+1 on the Roland
"If you get confused,...
Listen to the music play"
Dozin

Postby racecar » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:45 am

Plus 2 on the Roland jc77. Best little bang for the buck . I love mine, it's my goto small rig. I use a jc120h and 2 1 x 12 cabs for bigger venues .

But for the money , you can't beat a used jc77 for about $300-$400. Add fender amp legs and you are totally self contained . Most of my tone is clean straight to the jc with a little slap back delay from my pedal. Occasionally add some overdrive , but you could seriously get away with that amp and a delay pedal and call it a day. I use the chorus that is built in to the fullest extent allowed by law.

Search the forums, there is plenty of info here on that amp. Thatsnhow I found out about it, I call it Bobby in a Box. And it weighs next to nothing .
racecar
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby CapitalBC » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:12 am

.c Another vote for the Roland JC's. There are bunch of them in various configurations, JC 50, 77, 90, 120, 160, and a head version of the 120, not sure if there are any other head only.
Im very particular about reverbs, as I think most Dead related guitar players are, more-so than other types of players. I tried a Peavey Valveverb rack, the reverb wasnt too good. Tried an old Sansui hi-fi unit with a phono level adapter, as cool as it looked, it just didnt work out well for guitar. Dont know how many pedals I have tried, although I will admit, never tried any of the "best" models like T Rex or Strymon. Ive had some Lexicons, some better than others and the same results with the original Fender units & reissues. I have had the best overall luck with the old Furman rack reverbs & there are some old DOD's that are pretty good. The Furman has a limiter on it. They tend to be noisey but after Ive sent them off to be worked on always came back nice & quiet. I sent them to CJLectronics.com, that is who analogman recommended. And he does great work on mutrons & anything else Ive sent him.
If you can find a Furman, Id say grab it, especially if its priced good.
Hope this helps,
Brian C
Hagerstown Md
CapitalBC
welcome
welcome

Return to Bobby Tone