Tone or effects????

Tone or effects????

Postby havs01 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:34 pm

I've been racking my brain over the last several days trying to get chording right on Weirs 1972 Europe Ramble on Rose......It sounds like a triad and the one I play sounds to bright not edgy enough. I'm playing D triad - D at the fifth fret A at the 10th and d at the 10th. The d note sounds to nice ?? I hope I'm explaining this clear but it sounds like a harder chuckd triad or just his attack...or is it an effect? Would appreciate any help on this
havs01
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound

Re: Tone or effects????

Postby jeffm725 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:10 pm

Dont really need any effects for Europe 72 Bobby. That is all Fret hand combined with Right hand attack and amp settings.

Might be able to help but your triad description is a bit confusing?
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby jeffm725 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:19 pm

Back then for the Ramble on rose intros he uses the "G Shape" barre chord which is very common for Weir, back then and Always.

So that intro D he is playing is Fretted with Pinky on the 10th Fret Low E string, Ring Finger on the 9th Fret A string and then Barre the D,G,B strings with the index. He then (as always) hammers out of this chord shape Mostly on the A string from the 8th to 9th fret and then hitting the octave D on the 7th Fret of the G string.

Dont take my word for it, watch the first few seconds of this:

.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby havs01 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:32 pm

Jeff....thanks very much Im hearing it. Is it the octave that I was hearing at the end of the hammer that Gives it that edgy little punch. Sorry for the dramatic confusion explanation I just can't describe it......The first time I hear it is at the 48 second mark
havs01
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound

Postby jeffm725 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:38 pm

havs01 wrote:Jeff....thanks very much Im hearing it. Is it the octave that I was hearing at the end of the hammer that Gives it that edgy little punch. Sorry for the dramatic confusion explanation I just can't describe it......The first time I hear it is at the 48 second mark

I got ya, yeah, I hear what your after. Bobby is always hammering Seconds, or Seconds to thirds or 6ths. but it is all out of that chord shape I listed so just embellish out of that shape and you'll find it!
jeffm725

Postby havs01 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:50 pm

Fantastic....I'll look forward to be spending the next few hours in this chord shape. :-) While I'm thinking along these lines any other chord Shapes like this essential in playn Bob to enlighten me on
havs01
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound

Postby easytoslip » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:09 am

havs01 wrote:Fantastic....I'll look forward to be spending the next few hours in this chord shape. :-) While I'm thinking along these lines any other chord Shapes like this essential in playn Bob to enlighten me on

havs, there's a ton of that info on this board. I was just reading up on it yesterday but I'll be damned if I can't find it now. Pretty sure it was a CAGED discussion, those being the primary chord shapes Bob use(s/d). Also I remember Jeff M saying he does a lot of sevenths (chords)
easytoslip
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby easytoslip » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:10 am

the masters will pipe in any second if I'm wrong, I'm betting :lol:
easytoslip
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby jeffm725 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:33 pm

sevenths arent really a weir style. sevenths are played when sevenths are called for. Now 5ths or "five" chords on the other hand...all over the place
jeffm725

Postby strumminsix » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:46 pm

jeffm725 wrote:sevenths arent really a weir style. sevenths are played when sevenths are called for. Now 5ths or "five" chords on the other hand...all over the place

Agreed. If I was to help define "Weir style", it'd include:
1. know CAGED
2. know voicing
3. know invversions
4. know additions to chords for accenting
5. know chord substitutions

it's the substitutions that I struggle with all the time.
strumminsix

Postby TI4-1009 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:55 pm

I think Weir is so underrated. To have Garcia soloing on one side of you and Lesh essentially soloing on the other side, and you're in the middle trying to tie it all together. Not many mortals are up to THAT task.
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby havs01 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:41 pm

Thanks fellas
havs01
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound

Postby easytoslip » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:39 am

TI4-1009 wrote:I think Weir is so underrated. To have Garcia soloing on one side of you and Lesh essentially soloing on the other side, and you're in the middle trying to tie it all together. Not many mortals are up to THAT task.

I so dig Weir
easytoslip
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby easytoslip » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:40 am

jeffm725 wrote:sevenths arent really a weir style. sevenths are played when sevenths are called for. Now 5ths or "five" chords on the other hand...all over the place

good to know
easytoslip
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby barefootdave » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:47 pm

I remember my first show, I thought "who is that ridiculous guy in the short-shorts and how did he get onstage? He must be a temp."

My buddy, who brought me to my first show, said "that's Bobby. He is HALF"

I thought he was crazy, and continued to think that for a couple of years, because I just came to hear Jerry.

At that point, I realized BOB IS RUNNING THE ENTIRE SHOW.

He started out trying to fit between to monsters of technique and tone, but ultimately he drove the whole train.

Thanks, Bob.
Barefoot Dave
"His job is too shed light, not to master"
barefootdave
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Next

Return to Bobby Tone