Bobby's Amps Facing Backwards

Re: Bobby's Amps Facing Backwards

Postby mkaufman » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:44 pm

How does that explain the mic in front of his amp?

mk
THE best way to score gear: http://www.auctionstud.com

For discounts on extended Dell warranties: http://advantech-ny.com/mik/advantech/DellComputerWarranty
mkaufman
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1347
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:26 pm

Re: Bobby's Amps Facing Backwards

Postby Phil Lesh101 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:37 pm

Were have you seen his cabs miced at a live show?
"I didn't ask them to misspell anything to prove their authenticity, but I believe they're legit." ~ Rusty The Scoob.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV9EGVZio2M
https://archive.org/details/DA2013-10-19
User avatar
Phil Lesh101
Senior Member
 
Posts: 521
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:32 am
Location: New york

Re: Bobby's Amps Facing Backwards

Postby mkaufman » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:41 pm

Pretty sure I've seen this in all the TRI videos.

mk
THE best way to score gear: http://www.auctionstud.com

For discounts on extended Dell warranties: http://advantech-ny.com/mik/advantech/DellComputerWarranty
mkaufman
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1347
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:26 pm

Re: Bobby's Amps Facing Backwards

Postby Phil Lesh101 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:03 pm

We discussed that he uses Oldfield for TRI Studio stuff only. Thats why it is miced.
He plays Vox live
Last edited by Phil Lesh101 on Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I didn't ask them to misspell anything to prove their authenticity, but I believe they're legit." ~ Rusty The Scoob.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV9EGVZio2M
https://archive.org/details/DA2013-10-19
User avatar
Phil Lesh101
Senior Member
 
Posts: 521
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:32 am
Location: New york

Re: Bobby's Amps Facing Backwards

Postby mkaufman » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:57 pm

??

He uses amps wherever he plays. The question is: is he mic'd or does he go direct to the board. The claim was made that he went direct, so I asked if that was so, why was his amp mic'd.

mk
THE best way to score gear: http://www.auctionstud.com

For discounts on extended Dell warranties: http://advantech-ny.com/mik/advantech/DellComputerWarranty
mkaufman
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1347
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:26 pm

Re: Bobby's Amps Facing Backwards

Postby strumminsix » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:48 pm

mkaufman wrote:??

He uses amps wherever he plays. The question is: is he mic'd or does he go direct to the board. The claim was made that he went direct, so I asked if that was so, why was his amp mic'd.

mk

I don't know the answer but the more I read on live sound production the more I read about the mulitple mic'ing techniques And wonder if, just maybe, Bobby's FOH tone doens't benefit from that cabinte mic.
User avatar
strumminsix
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6643
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:13 am
Location: Chicago

Re: Bobby's Amps Facing Backwards

Postby Phil Lesh101 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:48 pm

mkaufman wrote:??

He uses amps wherever he plays. The question is: is he mic'd or does he go direct to the board. The claim was made that he went direct, so I asked if that was so, why was his amp mic'd.

mk

If you are referring to the picture From TRI Studios, It was mic'd because they were in the studio.
We are unsure if he mics his vox cabs live or if he runs it directly to the board.
"I didn't ask them to misspell anything to prove their authenticity, but I believe they're legit." ~ Rusty The Scoob.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV9EGVZio2M
https://archive.org/details/DA2013-10-19
User avatar
Phil Lesh101
Senior Member
 
Posts: 521
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:32 am
Location: New york

Re: Bobby's Amps Facing Backwards

Postby FBlades95 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:45 pm

The cabs onstage are used purely for stage sound, and are not mic'd. He is going from his Mesa rack amps BOTH direct AND to the cabs.
FBlades95
Rosebud
Rosebud
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:28 pm

Re: Bobby's Amps Facing Backwards

Postby mkaufman » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:10 pm

FBlades95 wrote:The cabs onstage are used purely for stage sound, and are not mic'd. He is going from his Mesa rack amps BOTH direct AND to the cabs.


In the TRI streams, he definitely sounds direct, however, there are pics clearing showing his amps are mic'd. Look here:

http://www.tristudios.com/gallery/detail/id/18

I'm not trying to be difficult... I just see pictures contradicting what people are saying.

mk
THE best way to score gear: http://www.auctionstud.com

For discounts on extended Dell warranties: http://advantech-ny.com/mik/advantech/DellComputerWarranty
mkaufman
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1347
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:26 pm

Re: Bobby's Amps Facing Backwards

Postby strumminsix » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:11 pm

FBlades95 wrote:The cabs onstage are used purely for stage sound, and are not mic'd. He is going from his Mesa rack amps BOTH direct AND to the cabs.

Are you 100% sure that he goes from the 11rack to the Mesa poweramp and takes the studio feed off the Mesa to the soundboard?
User avatar
strumminsix
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6643
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:13 am
Location: Chicago

Re: Bobby's Amps Facing Backwards

Postby mkaufman » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:16 pm

I'd like to know if this information is indeed 'fact' or hearsay. We too often believe what we read or hear.

mk
THE best way to score gear: http://www.auctionstud.com

For discounts on extended Dell warranties: http://advantech-ny.com/mik/advantech/DellComputerWarranty
mkaufman
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1347
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:26 pm

Re: Bobby's Amps Facing Backwards

Postby Phil Lesh101 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:33 pm

mkaufman wrote:
FBlades95 wrote:The cabs onstage are used purely for stage sound, and are not mic'd. He is going from his Mesa rack amps BOTH direct AND to the cabs.


In the TRI streams, he definitely sounds direct, however, there are pics clearing showing his amps are mic'd. Look here:

http://www.tristudios.com/gallery/detail/id/18

I'm not trying to be difficult... I just see pictures contradicting what people are saying.

mk

We are saying that he runs straight to the board LIVE. at shows, not studio.
"I didn't ask them to misspell anything to prove their authenticity, but I believe they're legit." ~ Rusty The Scoob.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV9EGVZio2M
https://archive.org/details/DA2013-10-19
User avatar
Phil Lesh101
Senior Member
 
Posts: 521
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:32 am
Location: New york

Re: Bobby's Amps Facing Backwards

Postby mkaufman » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:20 pm

Phil Lesh101 wrote:
mkaufman wrote:
FBlades95 wrote:The cabs onstage are used purely for stage sound, and are not mic'd. He is going from his Mesa rack amps BOTH direct AND to the cabs.


In the TRI streams, he definitely sounds direct, however, there are pics clearing showing his amps are mic'd. Look here:

http://www.tristudios.com/gallery/detail/id/18

I'm not trying to be difficult... I just see pictures contradicting what people are saying.

mk

We are saying that he runs straight to the board LIVE. at shows, not studio.


I'm not sure this is know as fact or even correct. In listening to the TRI broadcasts, it sure sounds like he's running direct.

Once again, is anyone making statements here based on first-hand knowledge?

mk
THE best way to score gear: http://www.auctionstud.com

For discounts on extended Dell warranties: http://advantech-ny.com/mik/advantech/DellComputerWarranty
mkaufman
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1347
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:26 pm

Re: Bobby's Amps Facing Backwards

Postby Phil Lesh101 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:28 am

There is a clear picture from TRI, Like you said of the cabs mic'd.
Whats your argument!
"I didn't ask them to misspell anything to prove their authenticity, but I believe they're legit." ~ Rusty The Scoob.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV9EGVZio2M
https://archive.org/details/DA2013-10-19
User avatar
Phil Lesh101
Senior Member
 
Posts: 521
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:32 am
Location: New york

Re: Bobby's Amps Facing Backwards

Postby hippieguy1954 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:07 am

Does it matter? :smile: :smile: :smile:
Image
First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
User avatar
hippieguy1954
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1175
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:29 pm
Location: Upstate, NY

PreviousNext

Return to Bobby Tone

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest