Fender G-Dec into Mc50?

Fender G-Dec into Mc50?

Postby Kennay » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:56 pm

Just wondering. The G-Dec has 2 lines out. Could I safely hook up an Mc50 to it out to a speaker cab? I`m thinking it might be a decent stage rig with the added volume from the Mac. Not frying the Mac is a concern though. Tanks in advance!
Kennay
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Re: Fender G-Dec into Mc50?

Postby tcsned » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:20 pm

are they speaker outs or line outs? If they are line outs, it should be fine to use. Speaker outs are not a good idea.
tcsned

Postby barefootdave » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:41 am

You'll be fine doing that with G DEC but be sure to run into a full range PA speaker, rather than a guitar cab. Digital modeling amps are already compensated to sound like a guitar speaker cabinet.
Barefoot Dave
"His job is too shed light, not to master"
barefootdave
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby Grateful.Ed » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:03 pm

barefootdave wrote:You'll be fine doing that with G DEC but be sure to run into a full range PA speaker, rather than a guitar cab. Digital modeling amps are already compensated to sound like a guitar speaker cabinet.

Can you turn off the cab sim, or is there no cab sim when you line out? I've seen a few good experiences here with the G DEC, and this is a good idea, but I think I'd prefer a cab for the modeling route.

What's been the experience here with modeling for Jerry and Bobby tones?

I'm considering selling my amps and pedals for a Pod HD500/solid state power amp/1x12 or 2x12 cab and I'm assuming I'd have a great Fender Clean/Vox Chime, and pedals up the wazoo in any order I want...plus a bunch of other amps.

I haven't researched the right speaker(s), but I'm guessing the cleanest, most efficient would be the right move.
Grateful.Ed
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby mijknahs » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:14 pm

You know, I have a little Roland amp that has some preset guitar amp sounds and sounds just ok on it's own. But when I preamp it out (I use the headphone out with an adapter) to a McIntosh amp and JBL E120 speaker, it sounds amazing. 100 times better sounding. Not my first choice for Jerry sounds but not bad on the "black panel" setting with gain up past midway and volume down. The Marshall and Vox sounds are pretty killer too.

Anyway, it makes the amp sound sooo much better. So much fatter and solid sounding.
mijknahs

Postby JonnyBoy » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:25 pm

Why yes, you can. hook it to your computer and mac+cab. use the Fuse software to make a patch that sounds identical to the sound you want. I like the Vox and Black Face settings best for Jerry, you can also use recordings playing at the same time. I am lucky to have an analog Jerry rig and the gdec into another mac50, when it was working well, so I could A/B them to be positive. It is one of my favorite sounds, but getting LOUD with a band will take some time and effort since it is a totally different engine and acts different with higher volumes. Because of that, I still preferred the twin pre over the Gdec, but I am sure it can replicate the twin through the mac sound. The file I made still needs to be worked on to get there, just have moved on to a new obsession lately.... You can turn off the cab sims or "Timbers" in the advanced section on fuse. Let me know how it works out!
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby barefootdave » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:16 pm

Ed, if you want to do the POD route, you can just get a powered JBL Eon or something like that, preferably a pair since your pod is a stereo unit. Or you can go straight to the board and have them send it back through your monitor mix.
Barefoot Dave
"His job is too shed light, not to master"
barefootdave
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby Grateful.Ed » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:32 pm

barefootdave wrote:Ed, if you want to do the POD route, you can just get a powered JBL Eon or something like that, preferably a pair since your pod is a stereo unit. Or you can go straight to the board and have them send it back through your monitor mix.

I'm still trying to determine what I want to do and this is definately an option. Are you using a modeler like this? The only comments I've heard about a powered FRFR monitor that have me a little hesitant is that it sounds like a "miked amp" and not an amp. I'm guessing I'd like the sound of an amp better than a miked amp.

What do you think? Thx.
Grateful.Ed
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Return to Jerry Tone