Roland Jazz Chorus or aother jazz amp for jerry sound?

Re: Roland Jazz Chorus or aother jazz amp for jerry sound?

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:48 am

Jerry always used tubes. Never didn't. Except for when he sat in on someone else's gear... It's the only way to make a pleasant clean tone, at least for the Jerry, lead guitar kind of thing. The only thing that comes close in my opinion is the modern digital tube modeling that can do a fairly acceptable job of faking it. But nothing like the real thing. A Roland JC amp for lead guitar will leave you with a brutal earache and headache after a long gig. There'a a dynamic transient compression factor as well as a harmonic content factor that also makes tubes rule and makes the guitar more warm, sweet, and audible thru a loud, dense stage mix. The JC series amps use FET transistors in the preamp to do that attempt at faking tubes, but it just never wins, never. The tone just won't easily sit in a big mix without trying to slice thru with power and bite, and that fatigues the ears and just doesn't feel right to the picking hand. Those are nice amps and they are sweeter than bipolar transistor equipped solid state preamp circuits, but it just doesn't cut it in my opinion. Tubes, tubes, tubes... Every time...

B
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby GeneralGoldilocks » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:29 pm

SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:A Roland JC amp for lead guitar will leave you with a brutal earache and headache after a long gig. There'a a dynamic transient compression factor as well as a harmonic content factor that also makes tubes rule and makes the guitar more warm, sweet, and audible thru a loud, dense stage mix. The JC series amps use FET transistors in the preamp to do that attempt at faking tubes, but it just never wins, never. The tone just won't easily sit in a big mix without trying to slice thru with power and bite, and that fatigues the ears and just doesn't feel right to the picking hand.
B

+1 on this. I only used the JC 120 for two or three gigs and got a few complaints from the band members about earaches, headaches, etc.... had to go back to the fender tube amps. I always thought it was because the JC 120 was just too powerful and loud, but I guess it wasn't volume, as I only had it on 2 or 3 tops, volume wise. I have had amazing success recording with the roland jazz chorus amps chorus effect, though. sounds awesome in the studio, but nothing replaces the good old fenderish tube amp (or fender-like amps). the natural compression can't be beat. it would be interesting to try a fender type pre into the power section of one of these amps, i guess it's probably pretty similar to all the other transistor power sections people are using with their tube pre amps? except for a mac? or to take it further, a combo amp, with a fender type pre section and a solid state power section that was designed to be a jerry type rig for those who don't want to deal with extra gear and cables? I'm sure there is probably already a combo out there like this and i am just not in the know. I really appreciate being able to carry one piece of gear (combo), not two or three, to a gig, and put it on a tilted amp stand, or put a two by 4 under it all as one unit. just makes things easier, even if it is one heavy piece of gear, especially with the e 120s.
like waves against the bandstand dancers broke
GeneralGoldilocks
Keith
Keith

Postby Marlow » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:21 pm

The nicest jazz amp I've used is a Polytone Mini Brute II. It's the closest thing to lush I've heard from solid state.

A close second in terms of SS amps is my 80s Fender Princeton Chorus, which I've fitted with a JBL K110 and an alnico Weber California, metal dome. It gets some sizzly JBL vibe in the top end, though it's a bit brittle in the mids. People call the Princeton Chorus the poor man's Roland. On a Strat in the middle position and the Presence cranked up it can get a decent Jerry tone.
Marlow
Brent
Brent

Previous

Return to Jerry Tone