MC250 specific discussion:

Re: MC250 specific discussion:

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:50 pm

DEFINITELY SET THE AMP'S SWITCH TO "STEREO"!
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby JustinJohn » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:24 am

SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:DEFINITELY SET THE AMP'S SWITCH TO "STEREO"!

Done.

Brad, do you think I may have damaged it, running it in 'mono' for about a year? I haven't noticed any serious issues with sound - tho lately, I've noticed my sound being more 'gainy' than normal - tho im not sure if it's the Mac, twin, a pedal, cable, or what...

:cry:
JustinJohn
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:20 am

If the amp is still working, I'm quite sure you didn't harm it. But the whole mono/stereo thing has confused people before. When we use just one side of the amplifier, we are using one of the two mono channels of the amp leaving the other "mono channel" unused.

When the amp is set to "stereo" that means the left channel and the right channel are entirely separated from eachother, no connections or ties together, simply two separate amplifiers.

When we switch the amp to "mono" that tells the mac that we intend to use both the left and the right amplifier channels tied together to make one larger amp. This setup also calls for a different way to connect the speaker wires to the terminals.

So setting the switch to STEREO is the way to go when we want to use only one of the 2 channels in the mac.

B
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby JustinJohn » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:10 am

Thanks for clarifying everything. =)

Admittedly, I'm pretty uninformed about some of the nuances of this stuff; it's nice to have the worlds best just a click and a keystroke away.

:smile: :smile: :smile:

One final clarification - if I were to use the mono channel with my 2 8ohm spkrs wired in parallel, I would need to bridge the 4ohm connectors together and com connectors together, then connect my speakers wires to the 4ohm and com connectors (either side)?

Thanks in advance!
JustinJohn
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby barefootdave » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:12 am

Glad this thread came back around, I just picked one up over the weekend, haven't even had time to power it up yet. I will leave it set to stereo.

I held out for a long time, thinking "it couldn't make THAT much difference". That's what I used to think about using JBL speakers before I took the plunge. Hope this gives a similar "aHa" experience!
Barefoot Dave
"His job is too shed light, not to master"
barefootdave
Billy
Billy

Postby waldo041 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:28 am

Without going into specific points, the mono/strereo switch sets up the amp for 1 of 2 scenarios. I have drawn this layout to provide a visual.

JustinJohn wrote:Thanks for clarifying everything. =)

Admittedly, I'm pretty uninformed about some of the nuances of this stuff; it's nice to have the worlds best just a click and a keystroke away.

:smile: :smile: :smile:

One final clarification - if I were to use the mono channel with my 2 8ohm spkrs wired in parallel, I would need to bridge the 4ohm connectors together and com connectors together, then connect my speakers wires to the 4ohm and com connectors (either side)?

Thanks in advance!

The Autoformers in the mac when in mono mode are also in parallel, so their math is the same as the speakers you are using. If you have two 8 ohm speakers in parallel they need a 4 ohm likewise with mono operation the Autoformers are in parallel so the 16 ohm taps become 8 ohm taps, the 8 ohm taps become 4 ohm taps and the 4 ohm taps become 2 ohm taps. So with speakers paralleled for a 4 ohm rating the ideal taps to use in Mono are the 8ohm taps bridged together.

I personally would run the amp in stereo mode and get a y cable to combine the preamps output to 2 signals into the mac. then run each speaker on it's own channel(left and right).

~waldo
Last edited by waldo041 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby JustinJohn » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:27 am

waldo041 wrote:The Autoformers in the mac when in mono mode are also in parallel, so their math is the same as the speakers you are using. If you have two 8 ohm speakers in parallel they need a 4 ohm likewise with mono operation the Autoformers are in parallel so the 16 ohm taps become 8 ohm taps, the 8 ohm taps become 4 ohm taps and the 4 ohm taps become 2 ohm taps. So with speakers paralleled for a 4 ohm rating the ideal taps to use in Mono are the 8ohm taps bridged together.

I personally would run the amp in stereo mode and get a y cable to combine the preamps output to 2 signals into the mac. then run each speaker on it's own channel(left and right).

~waldo

I only have a single input on my cab that connects to both 8ohm speakers in parallel. That, and considering how many shows I play - constantly setting up and breaking down, and lugging my gear around - it's worth it to me to simplify, and keep the cab as it is with the 1 cable connecting to both my speakers, rather than rewiring everything and using 2 cables, 2 inputs, 2 volume knobs, etc.

With that said, in mono mode for my two 8ohm speakers in parallel, I would bridge the 8ohm connectors together, the com connectors together, then connect my speaker tap to 8ohm and com?

:hail: :hail: :hail:

(Let me apologize ahead of time, I wish I understood this stuff better... =P )
JustinJohn
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby waldo041 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:36 am

JustinJohn wrote: With that said, in mono mode for my two 8ohm speakers in parallel, I would bridge the 8ohm connectors together, the com connectors together, then connect my speaker tap to 8ohm and com?

yes.

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby JustinJohn » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:26 am

waldo041 wrote:
JustinJohn wrote: With that said, in mono mode for my two 8ohm speakers in parallel, I would bridge the 8ohm connectors together, the com connectors together, then connect my speaker tap to 8ohm and com?

yes.

~waldo

Awesome!! Thanks man!

I'm gonna try it both ways here shortly... I'll chime in if there's a difference. I've been running on one channel for a year now, im very curious to hear how bridging the amps affects the sound and feel...

:cheers:
JustinJohn
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby wfrobinette » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:45 pm

For all the 1x12 8ohm MC250 guys. Brad suggested to get some more clipping at lower volumes that I should use the 4ohm tap instead. It made a difference to my ears.
wfrobinette
tiger
tiger

Postby NSP » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:55 pm

JustinJohn wrote:
waldo041 wrote:

yes.

~waldo

Awesome!! Thanks man!

I'm gonna try it both ways here shortly... I'll chime in if there's a difference. I've been running on one channel for a year now, im very curious to hear how bridging the amps affects the sound and feel...

:cheers:

Yeah, let us know what you find. I've never felt the need to bridge my 250. I've been curious but haven't taken the time to do so. I run mine stereo with one side tapped at 8ohm for my 1x12 and the other 4ohm for my 2x12 so I can easily use one or the other; or both depending on the gig. Even on larger stages I don't run the Mac past half way....and that's with my guitar volume typically around 60%. I find 50 watts to be plenty of power.
NSP
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby James-T » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:06 pm

Barefoot Dave,

I thought you were a Fractal guy LOL. I just traded my 73 Twin after being on the fence to gut it an blackface it. Good news is now I can save up for a SMS! I've already got the power amp and JBL cab for my fractal.

Tell us all if you have an ah ha moment. I've been pretty sceptical about how a solid state amp makes so much difference, but know that it does - and hopefully without causing hearing damage!

I'd be interested to hear if you run your FX 2 through a cab or FR speaker and if you use a cab if the mac power map improves the tone at all, not that Fractal's need tone enhancement.

I've been going back and forth between Ultra Power Amp and Cab and Ultra into a K12. I know the K12 sounds better but the cab feels so much more real and forgiving in a band mix for me. The guy who invented the FX uses a power amp cab setup LOL, or so he says.

Peace,

James
James-T
Skeleton
Skeleton

Postby barefootdave » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:20 pm

Actually i plan to run the Fractal through the MC250 to some Bose 301s I have set up in my office for now. With the new baby, I am a long way from plaing through any stage equipment any time soon...

I know it's overkill for a bedroom rig, but I have wanted a Mac for a long time. Some day I will hook it up to the E120s and terrify my daughter...

I am still extremely pleased with the Fractal and all it can do, either at low volume at 7am or screaming loud at midnight!
Barefoot Dave
barefootdave
Billy
Billy

Postby barefootdave » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:39 pm

James,

I just realized I did not answer your other question. I have only played full range speakers since I got the Fractal. My situation probably is not typical, I had a stroke in 2011. Since then, I have only done a handful of full length gigs because they simply exhaust me too much. Fortunately, I am much stronger now, and continue to improve. I can still play pretty well, although my singing is impacted pretty seriously.

I think that if I return to the stages, I will use the speaker cabinet for on stage, and send a direct out to the FOH. I think that in a live situation, the Fractal sounds great, although nothing compares to the tactile feedback of a real guitar cabinet. Like so many others, I crave the thump of the real deal hitting me in the gut. I think that experience doesn't translate for most in the crowd, however, so the Fractal will go straight to FOH.

At least that's what I think at the moment.
Barefoot Dave
barefootdave
Billy
Billy

Postby James-T » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:38 pm

Hey Dave,

Glad you are on the mend these days. Yep, the Fractal is great at midnight. I've got a young daughter as well. I'm really curious to see how it sounds to you being powered by the Mac! :-)

Peace,

James
James-T
Skeleton
Skeleton

Previous

Return to Jerry Tone