Phiga Tiger

Phiga Tiger

Postby mgbills » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:42 am

Good Morning Everyone,

I've been prowling about on this forum (more or less obsessively) since I found it about a year ago. A sincere "Thank You" to all who have contributed. My question for today is...what experience do folks have with Phiga Guitars? I seem to remember some mixed reviews, but this Tiger looks pretty awesome. Proportions look great.
Anyone care to offer an opinion?

Thanks to all.
MB
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Re: Phiga Tiger

Postby jdsmodulus » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:39 pm

Search old threads this has been covered in great detail.
jdsmodulus

Postby mgbills » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:11 pm

Thanks for the tip, JS. It was early when I posted. I've now combed over the Forum. The consensus seems to be the electronic configs have improved over time. Anyone own anything from this vintage with an OBEL? With noteworthy builders making renditions for $2K - $4K, I'm thinking this has to sell for $1200-$1500 to become interesting. Comments?
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby TI4-1009 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:42 am

I plunked down my deposit on a lefty Phiga Tiger a few weeks ago. I did some homework and talked to owners, looked at photos and videos. Phil will customize the build to get you what you want. Part of me is an Irwin Tiger purist (and has been for 30+ years)- but I do like the look of the Phiga Tiger. I have seen comments posted about concerns, but consider that he's been evolving his work and design for a decade or more- some of the photos posted were either earlier designs or built to meet customer requests. Email communication with Phil has been very good so far. Planning on doing my own electronics- just because I can and I like doing that part. (I'll be in touch for the buffer Waldo!). The other possibilities are very, very nice (Moriority, Resurection, Alembic, Lieber), but way out of my price range and practicality (and cost/benefit for my ability :wink: ). So next fall I'll let you know how it all worked out. Until then the photos on my wallpaper will have to do.
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby keirweir » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:10 pm

I owned a Phiga Eagle for a couple years. I had no issues with it in terms of playability.

I had to re-wire

His work looks like its gotten alot better over the years.
keirweir

Return to Jerry Tone