What strings?

Re: What strings?

Postby Counterstriker » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:38 pm

I use Ernie ball 10 gauge - I like the snappy low E A and D strings. I used DR once and gigged, I liked em but the next day were encrusted in rust. 9.99 down the drain. with Ernies I get alot more life until they go dead.
Counterstriker

Postby rkubik » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:31 pm

I have been using the Ernie Ball Slinkys (10s) for a long time and have great luck with them. While using in conjunction with Fast Fret I get great life out of the strings. Been very happy with them.
rkubik
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby bdhact1 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:44 pm

Searching for the strings......

Need to find a good replacements for the Vinci acoustic strings now.
bdhact1
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby tcsned » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:51 am

rkubik wrote:I have been using the Ernie Ball Slinkys (10s) for a long time and have great luck with them. While using in conjunction with Fast Fret I get great life out of the strings. Been very happy with them.

Yep, me too. I used to use the D'Addario's but EB still packages them individually if I break one on stage I don't have to fumble around with a bag of 6 strings in the dark. I remember once accidentally putting a B-string on instead of an E using D'Addario's. Ok, I should have been able to tell :D :D In haste, I proceeded to poke a hole in my thumb with the end of the string. Last time I used D'Addario's. I find that I am a lot pickier about my acoustic strings than the electrics. I just haven't noticed much difference between them.
tcsned

Postby jmfranc » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:55 am

Didn't Washburn buy Vinci? If so, shouldn't we see the exact same product with the Washburn logo soon? Or is the Wash old news?
jmfranc
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:21 pm

tcsned wrote:
rkubik wrote: I remember once accidentally putting a B-string on instead of an E using D'Addario's. Ok, I should have been able to tell :D :D

Thats right up there with the biggies like plugging the guitar cord in the wrong end of the pedal board and then taking 15 minutes to figure it out.
:D :D :D
Tennessee Jedi

Postby Emoto » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:40 pm

jmfranc wrote:Didn't Washburn buy Vinci? If so, shouldn't we see the exact same product with the Washburn logo soon? Or is the Wash old news?

They did, and the original Vinci string winding machines were sold off to someone in the Philippines. There will be nbo more authentic Vinci strings as far as I can tell.
Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there...
Emoto

Postby jmfranc » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:35 pm

Would the Ernie ball 10's be "Ernie ball 2221" with the yellowish packaging?
jmfranc
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby tcsned » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:47 am

jmfranc wrote:Would the Ernie ball 10's be "Ernie ball 2221" with the yellowish packaging?

yep, those are the ones "Regular Slinky"
tcsned

Postby USBLUES » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:04 am

D'addario 10's but WITH a 49 for the low E String. Using a 49 sometimes a 50 is per Steve Parish!

peace,
waldo

Is there a place to get single 49 or 50 E strings?
USBLUES
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby 14strings » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:47 pm

Not sure about Jerry tone but if you want one of the better electric strings out there check out Pyramids. I read about them in the Tonequest news letter years ago.
Fantastic in tune quality strings
14strings
welcome
welcome

Postby JonnyBoy » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:10 pm

bdhact1 wrote:I just used my last set of Vinci acoustics. I have to find a new brand as well. For my electric I've been using Erni Ball Stainless Steel 10s and they seem to have a fantastic tone, feel, as well as longevity.

I just tried a set of Fender 10's stainless steel and was unhappy with the tone, i think. I did have a brick wall right next to me pounding guitar into my right ear all night, that annoyed me to no end.

I am thinking I don't like the brightness they bring to the table. they do seem very durable and are known for not tarnishing quickly.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby mijknahs » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:45 pm

JonnyBoy wrote: I just tried a set of Fender 10's stainless steel and was unhappy with the tone, i think. I did have a brick wall right next to me pounding guitar into my right ear all night, that annoyed me to no end.

You got to try new strings in a place where you know your guitar/rig sounds good. Even good strings will sound bad in a bad room. Brick walls can be annoying.
mijknahs

Postby JonnyBoy » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:57 am

Yes you were right, Jim. I played another testy room last night, but a much better situation for my guitar at least. I liked them OK, they are strong strings (low E can be bent like a rubber noodle) I guess I have to get use to the tone change and adjust my OD and distortion to their bright nature. I also noticed that they are still like new! Usually in this mississippi humidity, a few days and its time to change if there is a gig. These haven't begun to turn under my acidic hands.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby mijknahs » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:25 pm

JonnyBoy wrote: I also noticed that they are still like new! Usually in this mississippi humidity, a few days and its time to change if there is a gig. These haven't begun to turn under my acidic hands.

Why, are they coated or have some special treatment?
mijknahs

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone