What strings?

What strings?

Postby Imagined Days » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:08 pm

Okay, so I have been using Vinci's for years, and now they are no longer available. What is a good replacement? What are you all using? Thanks!

Chris
Imagined Days
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Re: What strings?

Postby mijknahs » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:48 pm

Good question. I want to know too.
mijknahs

Postby DeadlyHeptet » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:06 pm

Currently have Curt Mangans on the partscaster. This is my first set of Mangans. Curt seems to take care with his product doing a smaller operation and using better quality wire. Have used Snake Oils and D'addarios and really can't say I've had a problem with any of them except for the expense and spotty availability of the Snake Oils. Used D'addario's for years, nothing "boutique" about them, but they are very serviceable.
DeadlyHeptet
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby Bear62 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:19 pm

I have been using D;addario 11s. Just put on a set of DR Tight Fit and they sound great and stay in tune!~
Bear62
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby jkstraw » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:26 am

I've been sampling Thomastik-Infeld Power Bright strings on a suggestion from my builder. I am happy so far.
jkstraw
Jerry
Jerry

Postby jackr » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:47 am

which exact vinci strings do you use because you may be able to still find them online. I did a quick search and found a bunch available.
On tour '76 - '81
Clean & Sober since '87
jackr

Postby keirweir » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:09 am

Elixer Nanoweb 10's
I pay the price but I can't get excited about any other string.
keirweir

Postby waldo041 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:21 am

D'addario 10's but WITH a 49 for the low E String. Using a 49 sometimes a 50 is per Steve Parish!

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:29 am

The D'Addario's have a bright tone, maybe similar to the Vinci's. The Curt Mangan's are basically a very high quality Ernie Ball Slinky, a nice string for sure. I believe he left and went on is own but does a very similar string. I remember years ago I was digging the GHS Boomers when I ran out of Vinci's, but it's been a while. DR's are good, BUT you have to be careful and bend the end. They can come a bit unwound and when that happens, they're trash. I like Elixir's on acoustic because they keep their tone for a very long time. I haven't tried the Electrics yet, but will.

B
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby playingdead » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:48 am

I use D'Addario 10s, but keep a set of Elixirs on my backup Jerrycaster. But when I was using it last summer while the Tiger was being worked on, the Elixirs were really tough on my hands on those 3-hour gigs.

I do use them on my acoustics, but never really sit down and play for three hours straight. I'd try a set before buying a bunch, I'd love to use them, because I hate changing strings. Which is kind of ridiculous, because I put locking tuners on the Tiger and it takes about 3 minutes to change them.
playingdead

Postby bdhact1 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:15 am

I just used my last set of Vinci acoustics. I have to find a new brand as well. For my electric I've been using Erni Ball Stainless Steel 10s and they seem to have a fantastic tone, feel, as well as longevity.
bdhact1
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:21 am

Any kind of .046-.010 strings (usually D'Addario), freshly changed right before soundcheck.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby jeffm725 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:47 pm

tigerstrat wrote:Any kind of .046-.010 strings (usually D'Addario), freshly changed right before soundcheck.

that right there is as big a key to refining jerry tone as anything. His sound was definitely a "fresh set of strings" sound.
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby NWPines » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:25 pm

I don't have a ton of experience with different electric strings, but lately I've been using Curt Mangan pure nickel (red package) on my strat and have been really happy with them. I have the most sweaty, oily hands imaginable and these last a surprisingly long time for a non-coated string, and they sound great. I've gotten really good about always wiping down my strings after I play, which helps a ton.

I had been using the Martin SP phosphor bronze on my acoustic and wasn't happy at all with them. I'm thinking about trying Elixirs (or another coated string) on my acoustic again. Tried them a few years ago and didn't like the feel, but I do like the idea of not having dead strings after like two weeks.
NWPines
Brent
Brent

Postby lunasparks » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:10 pm

I use Ernie Ball Power Slinky 11-48 mostly cuz 12 packs for $40

Are these a bad choice for Jerry tone? I'm open to trying new & different things....

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ernie-Ball-2220-Nickel-Power-Slinky-Purple-Guitar-Strings-Buy-10-Get-2-Free?sku=101773
lunasparks
Billy
Billy

Next

Return to Jerry Tone