Buffer in my strat

Buffer in my strat

Postby Counterstriker » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:41 pm

anyone have a scheme - I'm not gonna add the OBEL just yet - But I do want to put the buffer (I'm running alot of wires right now)

-Thanks!
Counterstriker

Re: Buffer in my strat

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:30 am

It's pretty simple to install - just four wires, two for the 9v power and two for signal in and out. The mono output jack needs to be TRS, and the negative signal path of the 9V battery goes through the ring and sleeve terminals of the jack, that way it acts as a switch, breaking the circuit when the guitar is not plugged in.

http://www.wald-electronics.com/wald-el ... Layout.jpg

http://www.wald-electronics.com/wald-el ... clone.html
Rusty the Scoob

Postby waldo041 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:23 am

Here is the layout WITHOUT OBEL. Stock, the blue 5 way switch output wire goes to the outside lug of the volume potentiometer where the yellow wire is. as you can see, the buffer/preamp's Input and Output is simply spliced inbetween the stock wiring. so, to install you would need to remove the stock wire from 5 way switch to volume pot and insert the buffer/preamp in and out accordingly. and as scoob explained, replace the stock mono jack and install a TRS Stereo jack and wire accordingly for the switching action needed to turn the buffer/preamp on and off with a plug inserted(on) or removed(off).

here's a possible strat layout.

HTH.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby gdrfk1990 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:07 pm

Waldo do you have one of these for 2 super 2's and a humbucking single coil with a 25k volume and 2 500k tones with no switches or OBEL ?
gdrfk1990
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby waldo041 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:53 pm

gdrfk1990 wrote:Waldo do you have one of these for 2 super 2's and a humbucking single coil with a 25k volume and 2 500k tones with no switches or OBEL ?

with no coil toggles for single and humbucker operation, the wiring is pretty much identical to the above layout for a humbucker setup. the difference is in the super 2 color code. the super 2's will have the black and white wires tied and soldered together then shrink wrapped. the red will still be hot, but the green and shield will go to ground versus the black shown above. the sds one will have black and white wires and the black will go to the 5 way instead of the neck red shown. the white and shield will go to ground.

that said, jerry played a ton in the middle single coil position and is even quoted as doing so. you may want to rethink the no toggle/coil switches approach if your going this far.

good luck.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby gdrfk1990 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:13 am

I had it wired that way it was noisy. I recently changed it to more of an Ibanez wiring it's much quieter with the black and whites on the opposite side of the 5 way I am not sure what that accomplishes ?? I like the sound of the humbucker in the middle and can't stand single coil buzz I also don't want to add any switches or drill holes. I'll figure this out yet :?
gdrfk1990
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby al.hurst » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:21 am

I want to do this same thing but I want theObel. How would I add this to the schematic?
"The Blues is easy to play...but man its hard to feel!"- Jimi Hendrix
al.hurst
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby hippieguy1954 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:52 am

Go here: http://www.wald-electronics.com/ Scroll to the bottom and choose the guitar with the set up you want! :smile: :smile: :smile:
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby al.hurst » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:30 pm

Thanks. I've spent a good bit reading there, but none of them have a buffer and a Obel with single coils. Well theres not a diagram. The diagram in this thread would be exacly what I'm looking for if it had an Obel. How would I insert the obel into this diagram?

Also, the link for the perfboard layout on Waldo electronics doesn't work. Iight try to see.if.i can build this untill I get the real deal. Does Waldo still havethat info out or does anyone? Thanks!!
al.hurst
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby hippieguy1954 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:46 pm

Just leave out the 2 coil split switches and use the 2 conductor single coil wires instead of 4 conductor wires.
Maybe if you wait for a while there might be a seperate diagram that will get posted, but I haven't seen one.
Would be nice to have! :smile: :smile: :smile:
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby al.hurst » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:56 pm

Couldn't I use this diagram and just insert the Obel with a switch between the first lug of the volume knob and the output wire on the buffer?
al.hurst
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby waldo041 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:24 pm

al.hurst wrote:Couldn't I use this diagram and just insert the Obel with a switch between the first lug of the volume knob and the output wire on the buffer?

Yes, just insert the Obel (switch & trs jack) in the same spot as my other layouts. The Obel is just a splice in the circuit.

peace,
waldo
waldo041

Postby al.hurst » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:44 pm

Thanks! Thats what I figured. I may be contacting you to get a buffer soon. Do you not have the perfboard layout for the buffer on your website anymore? Thanks.
al.hurst
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Return to Jerry Tone