Waldo's TPC1 Buffer

Re: Waldo's TPC1 Buffer

Postby waldo041 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:16 am

you can check out shanks axe in this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=426&t=9350&p=87673#p87673

sounds GRATE jim!

peace,
waldo
Disclaimer: I make and sell Buffers. I also sometimes Modify, Build and sell preamps and amplifiers. My opinions are not intended to be sales pitches. I am a one man shop and prefer to spend time with my wife and family, i work full time on call and love to spend my spare time doing other things. I only make, modify or build things for those that seek them.
waldo041

Postby mijknahs » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:51 am

It's a Tiger copy (cocobolo/maple/cocobolo sandwich) made by Bill Asher in Santa Monica.
mijknahs

Postby gdrfk1990 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:08 am

What is the general battery life with this thing ? Do you need to take the battery out between uses ? Or unplug the guitar ? Do you put a new bettery in for gigs etc. ?
Thanks for the help
Eric
gdrfk1990
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby mijknahs » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:17 am

Always unplug the guitar and the battery should last for many months (if you have it wired correctly so the guitar cable acts as kill switch when you unplug it). I like to check the battery charge with a meter every few months.
mijknahs

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:50 am

Based on some loose calculations, using a Duracell for example, you can probably expect around 75 hours of runtime with this buffer. With an industrial type battery like the Energizer Industrial, then maybe an additional 30% of runtime. So maybe 20 to 30 gigs or so.

Brad
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby waldo041 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:36 pm

Just got this from Jeff Mattson of DSO.

"I currently have your TPC1 Preamp Buffer in both of my main guitars. My newest guitar has the smaller version (TPC1sm) and it was a real easy fit. I love how sweet and clear and natural the sound is. It does a great job of driving my effects loop and keeping a perfectly even tone at any volume. Thanks for accurately re-creating Jerry's Tiger guitar buffer for the rest of us to enjoy." Jeff Mattson, Dark Star Orchestra

peace,
waldo
Disclaimer: I make and sell Buffers. I also sometimes Modify, Build and sell preamps and amplifiers. My opinions are not intended to be sales pitches. I am a one man shop and prefer to spend time with my wife and family, i work full time on call and love to spend my spare time doing other things. I only make, modify or build things for those that seek them.
waldo041

Postby mijknahs » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:09 pm

That's a nice endorsement!
mijknahs

Postby FreeFolkGuitar » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:10 pm

Hi, I am in the process of making the guts of my SG to that of Jerry's Rosebud. I have the pickups...the gk-3 instead of the gk-2. Im about to get the preamp buffer from Wald....I have Waldo's schematic for the wiring....what else would I need besides the 5 way selector? I see in the preamp wiring it says with or without effects loop....I guess my main question is this: does the waldo schematic for Jerry's Rosebud have the effects loop wired into it? Or is there another component needed?
FreeFolkGuitar
welcome
welcome

Postby hippieguy1954 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:25 am

FreeFolkGuitar wrote:Hi, I am in the process of making the guts of my SG to that of Jerry's Rosebud. I have the pickups...the gk-3 instead of the gk-2. Im about to get the preamp buffer from Wald....I have Waldo's schematic for the wiring....what else would I need besides the 5 way selector? I see in the preamp wiring it says with or without effects loop....I guess my main question is this: does the waldo schematic for Jerry's Rosebud have the effects loop wired into it? Or is there another component needed?

Yes, Waldo's wiring diagrams, including Rosebud, are complete and include the OBEL (On Board Effects Loop).
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby aiq » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:51 am

FreeFolkGuitar wrote:Hi, I am in the process of making the guts of my SG to that of Jerry's Rosebud. I have the pickups...the gk-3 instead of the gk-2. Im about to get the preamp buffer from Wald....I have Waldo's schematic for the wiring....what else would I need besides the 5 way selector? I see in the preamp wiring it says with or without effects loop....I guess my main question is this: does the waldo schematic for Jerry's Rosebud have the effects loop wired into it? Or is there another component needed?

Is the SG thick enough for the five way? My Firebird was not, Andrew used a six way from Stew Mac that is more or less the size of the Gibson switch.
aiq
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby hippieguy1954 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:57 am

aiq wrote:

Is the SG thick enough for the five way? My Firebird was not, Andrew used a six way from Stew Mac that is more or less the size of the Gibson switch.

Or, you can use a rotary 5 way switch if the fender style doesn't fit.

Scroll down here: viewtopic.php?f=419&t=7383&start=15
Jim

hippieguy1954

Postby ccw3432 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:31 am

If you want Rosebud era Jerry tone I would not use an SG. They are great guitars but they are self limiting for this purpose for three reasons: Shorter scale length than Jerry's guitars, mahogany neck, and mahogany body. I have done a similar mod on my SG and it wouldn't quite get there for me.
ccw3432
Phil
Phil

Postby hippieguy1954 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:18 am

ccw3432 wrote:If you want Rosebud era Jerry tone I would not use an SG. They are great guitars but they are self limiting for this purpose for three reasons: Shorter scale length than Jerry's guitars, mahogany neck, and mahogany body. I have done a similar mod on my SG and it wouldn't quite get there for me.

+1
I was thinking the OP was aware of the woods and scale length, but now that you mention it, maybe he is not.
Many of us have gone thru modding the wrong guitar with the wrong wood and wrong scale length for Jerry tone.
With all this knowledge available, I would not use an SG either.
Jim

hippieguy1954

Postby Searing75 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:54 pm

I just put in Waldo's tpc 1 in my Phiga bolt, after years of using the cb1. It seems creamier sounding. More organic. Cool.
All's well that sounds well.
Searing75

Postby FreeFolkGuitar » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:58 pm

ccw3432 wrote:If you want Rosebud era Jerry tone I would not use an SG. They are great guitars but they are self limiting for this purpose for three reasons: Shorter scale length than Jerry's guitars, mahogany neck, and mahogany body. I have done a similar mod on my SG and it wouldn't quite get there for me.

Im not trying to emulate Jerrys tone completely....its the electronics and abilities. I have a Rosebud being built by Leo at Scarlet Fire Guitars....that one definitely...but this is more to familiarize myself with the functions and abilities in the mean time. Thanks though this is all good info and much appreciated guys. Its still gonna be one badass sg
FreeFolkGuitar
welcome
welcome

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone