Waldo's TPC1 Buffer

Re: Waldo's TPC1 Buffer

Postby waldo041 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:39 am

tigerstrat wrote:
gdrfk1990 wrote:wondering if it is worth adding to the old guitar?
It has a jack on the side not the front has anyone put 2 jacks on the side are there advantages disadvantages to either.

You could also consider mounting the 2nd jack right on the rear cover plate of the control cavity (if that's what it has). Cover plates are usually easier/cheaper to replace than repairing holes in the instrument itself, plus not visible from the front. Just take care that you mount the jack so that, when the cover is in place, it's clear of all the pots and switches...not to mention the preamp and battery! Been working out fine for my Schecter.

TS, i was just going to say exactly the same thing, albeit for trial purposes, but one could also do it for a permanent installation also. for trial purposes it does't have to be the actual control plate, one could cut something out of an old garbage can or sheet of thin wood for temporary purposes. once you try out it's usefulness, you can then proceed with any permanent installtion if wanted.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby gdrfk1990 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:14 pm

The reason I want to put the jack on the side is the guitar is only an 1 1/2 thick the cavity is barely 1 3/8 I barely fit the switch in I had to carve out a section of my hand made cocobolo back plate. That's why I am looking for a shallow box switch like they have in the Fender sqier and bullet because they are thin. I think I am just going to install the buffer inline for now then on the new build I am going to experiment with the obel and put the jacks on the front. once I have the new guitar built I can begin to mess with the old one

guitar5.jpg
this is the new one maple purpleheart maple I am going to try and route this weekend and hopefully start the neck in october
guitar5.jpg (64.22 KiB) Viewed 437 times

guitar5.jpg
this is the new one maple purpleheart maple I am going to try and route this weekend and hopefully start the neck in october
guitar5.jpg (64.22 KiB) Viewed 437 times
Attachments
guitar4.jpg
guitar4.jpg (35.54 KiB) Viewed 437 times
gdrfk1990
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:48 pm

I don't see any disadvatage to putting two jacks on the side. You could do either two barrel style jacks, or I've seen people use something like a dual Les Paul jackplate which accomodates flushmount jacks.
Rusty the Scoob

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:51 pm

If you go with side jacks, I'd personally recommend the les paul approach with a jack plate. The long barrell type jacks have weaker contacts that wear out over time and are much less firm than a normal panel jack.

Brad
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:52 pm

I obviously going to make an attempt at the obel for my new build but am wondering if it is worth adding to the old guitar?
It has a jack on the side not the front has anyone put 2 jacks on the side are there advantages disadvantages to either.

I was suggesting using the cover plate on his "old guitar" (which I can't quite tell from this from this thread if that is the Tigeresque one pictured in the followup posts, or some other guitar), interpreting that he meant he was unsure he wanted the OBEL on it, but wanted to try it out.

If you are sure you want it, and the 1st jack is already a side jack, and you have the resources to rout & mount a 2nd side jack, yes that's probably ideal as a permanent installation.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby gdrfk1990 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:28 pm

The tiger , strat , paul hybrid is the first build that is cocobolo / maple / cocoblo it's an 1 1/2 thick (didn't realize finding this switch would be difficult) it has a 24 3/4 bolt on conversion neck hand carved a brass nut and flat brass bridge 2 super 2's and a seymore duncan vintage (hums) I have never gotten the wiring right on this thing thus far I have had it wired like a strat with a push pull pot to get the bridge neck tele combo . Do to hum I just changed it to an ibanez wiring utilizing the other (tapping wires) on the super 2's instead of tying them off as suggested by dimarzio much quieter. Just having the maple core sounded so sweet when I was done I real have not scrutinized the wiring til now. I guesse I am working on the technology aspect of my tone I just got the Fender Reverb Deluxe reissue and want the guitar and effects loop to be on par quality wise. The new build is going to be a tiger wolf prs hybrid with a maple - purpleheart - maple and a 25.5 inch scale length
gdrfk1990
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:43 am

SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:If you go with side jacks, I'd personally recommend the les paul approach with a jack plate. The long barrell type jacks have weaker contacts that wear out over time and are much less firm than a normal panel jack.

Brad

Great point. I have had more than my share of problems with bad barrel jacks... hadn't really thought about it when I made my custom bass and used another one. Now I have to be careful what cable I use with it because some have heavy ends that like to pop out when I take it off the stand. Soundmen don't seem to like it when that happens! :?
Rusty the Scoob

Postby Bear62 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:45 am

Just finished installing Waldo's TPC1sm buffer in my Resurrection I have owned for 5 years. NOW this guitar is all it can be! Thanks for the quick delivery and great product. Your instructions are great. Guitar sounds wonderful. Very balanced across all pickup positions and configurations. Great w/ q-tron (even sounds good in single coil mode) and all my effects. The small footprint is perfect. My CAE CB1 was standing on edge on a cavity wall. TPC1sm is just a tad to tall, so after wrapping in electrical tape, I just laid it flat. Works like a charm. Thank you. Grateful Gregg- Loved the personal touch on the mailing label! peace!
Bear62
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby keirweir » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:44 am

Bear62 wrote:Just finished installing Waldo's TPC1sm buffer in my Resurrection I have owned for 5 years. NOW this guitar is all it can be! Thanks for the quick delivery and great product. Your instructions are great. Guitar sounds wonderful. Very balanced across all pickup positions and configurations. Great w/ q-tron (even sounds good in single coil mode) and all my effects. The small footprint is perfect. My CAE CB1 was standing on edge on a cavity wall. TPC1sm is just a tad to tall, so after wrapping in electrical tape, I just laid it flat. Works like a charm. Thank you. Grateful Gregg- Loved the personal touch on the mailing label! peace!

Good work Gregg!
keirweir

Postby waldo041 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:47 am

indeed, great work Gregg! glad i could help a bit.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby myoung6923 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:29 pm

My PRS with OBEL has 2 jacks on the side with a jack plate that was made from pick guard material. It is rectangular and was bent to the contour of the guitar. Then the cavity was widened enough for both jacks. It works great - no problems at all.
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us

http://www.fennario.us
http://www.youtube.com/fennarioband
http://www.facebook.com/fennarioband
myoung6923

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:08 pm

waldo041 wrote:one could cut something out of an old garbage can or sheet of thin wood

:cool: :cool: :cool: :thewave: :cool: :cool: 8)
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby gdrfk1990 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:09 pm

I ordered the TPC-1sm today does it come with instalation directions etc. I ordered a 25k pot and 2 new 500k pots as well as a shallow 5 way switch 1 1/8" capacitors and a stereo jack do I need anything else
gdrfk1990
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby waldo041 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:31 am

gdrfk1990 wrote:I ordered the TPC-1sm today does it come with instalation directions etc. I ordered a 25k pot and 2 new 500k pots as well as a shallow 5 way switch 1 1/8" capacitors and a stereo jack do I need anything else

yes, they come with installation instructions. i do believe you have all you need, except the capacitors should be ceramic .02 or .022uF.

only onther thing i can think of is if you wanted an OBEL (OnBoard Effects Loop) you'll need another stereo jack and dpdt toggle switch.

~mike
waldo041

Postby keirweir » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:04 am

playingdead wrote:Sounds nice, Keir ... I think, if I were you, I'd try to fatten up the midrange a little bit and reduce a touch of brightness off the guitar, it will sit in the mix better that way. Heard on its own, Jerry's guitar sounded a little more fat, almost nasal, in the mids as opposed to those super crispy highs and slightly scooped mids. Took me a while to figure out how to get away from that little bit of thinness in the context of the entire band. Turn off the bright switch if you have it on. You've got passive tone controls on your Twin, so it's good to experiment with slight changes to the bass and treble controls as well as the mid control, as they all affect each other, as opposed to a regular EQ pedal.

I took the Beyma speakers out of my twin, put my K-120's in my twin and put my E -120's in my cab. Beyma's are officially my backups.

I played around with the amp settings for a bit, turned off the bright switch and ping... There it was... Jerry 82-89 sound.

It had to be the Beyma speakers... I have officially graduated from the bright switch.

BTW... My strat sounds so much better now too.

Thanks for the heads up!
keirweir

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone