Waldo's TPC1 Buffer

Re: Waldo's TPC1 Buffer

Postby playingdead » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:30 am

Sounds nice, Keir ... I think, if I were you, I'd try to fatten up the midrange a little bit and reduce a touch of brightness off the guitar, it will sit in the mix better that way. Heard on its own, Jerry's guitar sounded a little more fat, almost nasal, in the mids as opposed to those super crispy highs and slightly scooped mids. Took me a while to figure out how to get away from that little bit of thinness in the context of the entire band. Turn off the bright switch if you have it on. You've got passive tone controls on your Twin, so it's good to experiment with slight changes to the bass and treble controls as well as the mid control, as they all affect each other, as opposed to a regular EQ pedal.
playingdead

Postby keirweir » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:19 am

Thanks for the suggestions Vic! Indeed the bright switch is on and what your saying makes sense to me. As always the modifications continue!
keirweir

Postby waldo041 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:00 am

BASS = OFF (COMPLETELY)
MIDS = 5 1/2
TREB = 10 (ALL THE WAY UP)
BRIGHT SWITCH = OFF

VOL 4 1/2 NOR MORE THEN 5 1/2 WHEN PREAMPED TO A SS AMP.

peace,
waldo
waldo041

Postby keirweir » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:23 am

waldo041 wrote:BASS = OFF (COMPLETELY)
MIDS = 5 1/2
TREB = 10 (ALL THE WAY UP)
BRIGHT SWITCH = OFF

VOL 4 1/2 NOR MORE THEN 5 1/2 WHEN PREAMPED TO A SS AMP.

peace,
waldo

Thanks Mike!
keirweir

Postby bdhact1 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:03 pm

Is there any reverb adjustment as well ?
bdhact1
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby keirweir » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:07 pm

bdhact1 wrote:Is there any reverb adjustment as well ?

I usually run my reverb around a 3 or 4 depending on my mood
keirweir

Postby bdhact1 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:08 pm

keirweir wrote:
bdhact1 wrote:Is there any reverb adjustment as well ?

I usually run my reverb around a 3 or 4 depending on my mood

Thanks Keir !
bdhact1
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby waldo041 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:12 pm

swapping the stock reverb potentiometer from Linear to Log/Audio allows you to run the reverb at the position jerry has stated and is seen using. set around 5 with the stock pot adds way too much splashy/surfy reverb. the reverb should be set to the room, and the stock pot kinda limits itself to nothing above 4, if that.

peace,
waldo
waldo041

Postby bdhact1 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:31 pm

waldo041 wrote:swapping the stock reverb potentiometer from Linear to Log/Audio allows you to run the reverb at the position jerry has stated and is seen using. set around 5 with the stock pot adds way too much splashy/surfy reverb. the reverb should be set to the room, and the stock pot kinda limits itself to nothing above 4, if that.

peace,
waldo

Thanks for the detail Waldo !
bdhact1
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby RiverRat » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:55 pm

Last edited by RiverRat on Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RiverRat

Postby unnbrokenchain » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:18 pm

Thanks Waldo. I have been running with those settings ever since I found an article (don't know if it was on here or somewhere else) with Kimock talking about the settings on Jerry's amp. Apparently Jerry told Kimock that the Mids is all the Bass you'll ever need. I dial my Treb at 10 and my Mids at about 5.5, Bass 0. Reverb depends. You can nail a Jerry tone without reverb, aka any studio work he ever did had no reverb, if not, very little of it. I like playing to recordings of shows and adjust my reverb settings to that of the show. Out of all the years, I have found that 72' 73' and the early lexicon years in the 80's have the most reverb to my ears.
unnbrokenchain
Mickey
Mickey

Postby Chuckles » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:45 pm

I guess this is the right thread to add this...

I've owned one of Waldo's buffers for about a year and finally had it in a guitar that I played Monday at our band's first practice in a couple of months. While I'd like to think some of it is because of the new guitar (or- ahem - my greatly increased facility on the instrument... yeah right :? ), I attribute much of what my bandmates called, variously, a "more smooth sound" or "a truer representation of what I was trying to do" (our bass player is a philosophical sort! :lol: ) to the TPC1. Simply a very impressive addition to the signal chain - one that could total up to about 40- 60 feet of cable if everything were thrown in the mix.

Nice work Mike!
:smile:
Seems like I've been here before...

The Road's Facebook Page (including links to tunage) is here:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Road/ ... 200?ref=nf
Chuckles

Postby waldo041 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:24 am

Chuckles wrote:I guess this is the right thread to add this...

I've owned one of Waldo's buffers for about a year and finally had it in a guitar that I played Monday at our band's first practice in a couple of months. While I'd like to think some of it is because of the new guitar (or- ahem - my greatly increased facility on the instrument... yeah right :? ), I attribute much of what my bandmates called, variously, a "more smooth sound" or "a truer representation of what I was trying to do" (our bass player is a philosophical sort! :lol: ) to the TPC1. Simply a very impressive addition to the signal chain - one that could total up to about 40- 60 feet of cable if everything were thrown in the mix.

Nice work Mike!
:smile:

Very Cool! :cool:

peace,
waldo
waldo041

Postby playingdead » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:07 am

What I've learned about reverb from multitracking the band and remixing, is you need a little more on the guitar than you think you do listening to it on its own, because it really washes out in the mix. Trying to match the level of Jerry's reverb heard on the soundboards, your guitar is going to be a little dry in the mix.

YMMV.
playingdead

Postby jeffm725 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:14 am

playingdead wrote:What I've learned about reverb from multitracking the band and remixing, is you need a little more on the guitar than you think you do listening to it on its own, because it really washes out in the mix. Trying to match the level of Jerry's reverb heard on the soundboards, your guitar is going to be a little dry in the mix.

YMMV.

+ 1 million.....

Fred Wilkes and I were just talking about this very thing.
If it sounds way too wet on stage, it probably will be perfect on tape. Amazing but true.
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone