My Search/Jerry Strat Pickups

Re: My Search/Jerry Strat Pickups

Postby spacefunkologist » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:13 pm

Im loving my Fender 57/62 set. $95 shipped to my door on ebay. Ive also got a set of D. Allens 69s to try out but for 100 bucks you cant beat the 57/62s
spacefunkologist
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby Mosfed » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:56 pm

BTW - someone on this board has posted that Matt Moriarty ships his Wolf V 1.0s with 2 SDS-1s. This actually is not true. Matt has told me that he has tried different things over the years but that today for that sound he likes the D. Allen 69 Voodoos. Just as some info...
--
"And I'm here by the road, tied to the load, that I picked up in ten thousand cafes and bars" - Barlow
Mosfed
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby zoooombiex » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:59 am

Re: the Lollar's. I had a set of his blackface pickups and thought they were great. They are a little more balanced and not as scooped as the blonde's (though the blondes are a nice set too.) I preferred that kind of balanced setup at the guitar and then you can get whatever brightness or scoop you need from the amp. If it's too scooped at the guitar you're sort of stuck with that. The blackfaces are alnico V FWIW.

Re: single coil hum, I really liked the Suhr BPSSC. I found it almost completely transparent. When you install it you have to dial it in on a little trim pot that goes from basically being out of the circuit to taking out almost all of the hum. When doing that I really couldn't hear any other effect on the sound than the hum disappearing. (That said, I never had the occasion to directly a/b the guitar stock with the BPSSC completely unsoldered from the circuit.) But, particularly in a live setting, I had no second thoughts about using the BPSSC. Nice to see Fralin is making an alternative version.
zoooombiex
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby Mosfed » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:19 pm

Just looking at it from 10,000 feet - it seems like an ideal set for Garcia like Fender tones would be mix between the blondes and the Blackface. The Blondes are dead on 5.8, 5.8, 6 - but are Alnico 2s. The Blackface seem a bit hot but they are Alnico V. Pity that they don't have something in between.

The Allens seem spot on.

I do wish I could here all of these before making such a decision rather than trying to do it on heresay and stats. But it is all we've got.
--
"And I'm here by the road, tied to the load, that I picked up in ten thousand cafes and bars" - Barlow
Mosfed
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby spacefunkologist » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:19 am

Fender 57/62 Set are right there too....

Alnico V
DC Resistance: 5.6K
Inductance: 3.0 Henries

I love these pickups!!
spacefunkologist
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby zoooombiex » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:15 am

Another thought to consider is vintage vibe pickups. They are very well made and you can mix & match magnets
zoooombiex
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby Jon S. » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:02 pm

Seems to me if Scott Walker wanted to mod and sell at least a few sets of these

viewtopic.php?f=426&t=12362

a bunch of us here would buy 'em.
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby Mr.Burns » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:19 pm

Those are very cool, one half of a super II, but would it really do Alligator/Wolf tones? In the middle and bridge positions?
Mr.Burns
Phil
Phil

Postby Mosfed » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:21 pm

I think it wouldn't be ideal for Alligator or Wolf tones pre-1978. But post-1978 and to get something that you could pop into a Strat they would be downright ideal. As Waldo informed us the other day, Garcia usually sat in the middle position of the Super 2s and coil split them. So it seems perfect. I would bet that mixing and matching these with some 57/62 or DAllen or Lollars you could get a screaming Jerrycaster
--
Mosfed
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby Chinarider1A » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:13 am

I had been using a coil tapped Dimarzio Dual Sound in the middle PU position with Waldo's Blaster for that '78 Wolf sound, but was looking for something that would give me a bit more raunch, circa late '77. I opted for the Lollar Blackface. Ultimately, it's not hot enough for that late '77 sound, but seems to be more of a combo Alligator/Wolf 1.0. It's a very interesting sound with great balance and very low noise. Varying the blaster level has led to some interesting tonal changes. I have a couple of gigs coming up with Rocky Mountain Grateful Dead Revue at the end of the month so I'll post the live findings.

We'll be at the following if anyone wants to check us out. (I copied these from the DSO site, not sure if any links will work)

2 Great venues..

Thanks, Dave

Rocky Mountain Grateful Dead Revue a Rob Eaton side Project

Fri Aug 24 - PAC 3 [CARBONALE, COLORADO]

Address: 520 SOUTH THIRD STREET
Phone: 970.925.1663
Jim Allard--Bass
Rob Eaton--Guitar
Dave Kochmann--Guitar
Ted Tilton--Keys
Jake Wolf--Drums

http://www.pac3carbondale.com/

Rocky Mountain Grateful Dead Revue a Rob Eaton side Project

Sat Aug 25 - River Amphitheater, State Bridge [Bond, CO]

Address: 127 Trough Road
Phone: (970) 653-0113
Rob Eaton-DSO
Jim Allard-Coral Creek Band
Ted Tilton-Dead Phish Orchestra
Dave Kochmann-American Beauty
Jake Wolf-Shakedown Street
6pm

http://statebridge.com/
Chinarider1A
Brent
Brent

Postby Marlow » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:32 pm

So three years later I finally installed that pickup I mentioned earlier in this thread. Man I'm lazy. It's the Klein '74 model in the middle position. The following is just a mono sound check with an iPod mic. Pretty rough and sloppy, out-of-tune playing on dead strings. But maybe it'll give some idea about tone for people searching for the ('74) sound:

https://soundcloud.com/ibazen-1/klein-p ... el-mid-pos
Marlow
Brent
Brent

Postby pula58 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:17 pm

I noticed that Klein makes a 1974 strat pickup set. Anyone else try those for the 74/grateful dead movie tone (love that sound!)?
That's the tone I'd be chasing of all his tones: bright, yet sweet, and not much distortion, yet not thin-sounding at all!
pula58
Vince
Vince

Postby Searing75 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:19 pm

D. Allen Vodoo 69's will get you Jerry's single coil tone!
All's well that sounds well.
Searing75
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby pula58 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:33 am

DAllen '69 pickups: Do they approximate the 72 Alligator strat sound or the 73-74 Wolf sound?
I am chasing after the 73-74 wolf tone.
pula58
Vince
Vince

Postby hippieguy1954 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:02 pm

pula58 wrote:DAllen '69 pickups: Do they approximate the 72 Alligator strat sound or the 73-74 Wolf sound?
I am chasing after the 73-74 wolf tone.

They really do fine for both Alligator and Wolf because Wolf started of with single coils in 73-74.
The major difference between Alligator and Wolf 1.0 is the wood and construction in general.
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Previous

Return to Jerry Tone