Yamaha SSC-500? Poor Man's Wolf?

Re: Yamaha SSC-500? Poor Man's Wolf?

Postby Mosfed » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:32 am

This is the classic example that should get people less focused on gear and more on ability. Sure they are all playing vastly different instruments, amps and cabs and yet they still basically sound like Garcia, Weir and Lesh.

I once heard a recording of Carlos Santana on a Squier Strat through a pig nose amp. And he still sounded like Carlos. Not to say that I am not obsessed on recreating Garcia's rig and sound, but the fundamental truth is that the sound is not in the gear but in the fingers...
--
"And I'm here by the road, tied to the load, that I picked up in ten thousand cafes and bars" - Barlow
Mosfed
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby Jon S. » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:33 am

Careful, Mosfed - they'se fightin' words here. ;) P.S. His Abraxas tone was best. :P
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby Marlow » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:59 pm

I dunno, I guess there's a difference between sound and tone. Jerry playing a Sears guitar would still sound like Jerry, but with different tone. I mean, genius fingers ain't gonna turn maple to mahogany or single coils to humbuckers, or what have you. I'm chasing tone more than sound.
Marlow
Brent
Brent

Postby Jon S. » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:13 am

Last night, I went out with some friends to hear another of our many local Dead bands, Tumbledown Shack. Two interesting observations. The first is that their lead guitarist, who was playing a Strat into a Boogie I, played like Jerry but his tone was nothing like Jerry's to my ear (it was fairly bassy, among other things). The second is that when I mentioned this to the rest of our group, everyone else thought I was nuts for even noticing it and certainly for mentioning it. Just an observation from last night's bacchanalia (now I'll be setting up my own rig for this afternoon's practice).
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby Marlow » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:11 am

You are lucky to have many local Dead bands to choose from!!

I was in Charlotte in I think '93 or so, and listening to a really great "Corrina" at the Charlotte Coliseum. Sure it's not the greatest tune, and the Charlotte Coliseum isn't the greatest venue, but Jerry's sheer tone on these long slow slides was just amazing. Rich and harmonically multilayered and soulful, like an old tube amp crossed with a great scotch. I'm a pretty mediocre player, but it's cool to have something like that tone potentially available to the average slob with a soldering iron and a bit of loose scratch.
Marlow
Brent
Brent

Postby mrMix » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:05 am

PSA - here's a fine example on CL -
http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/msg/3276375575.html
mrMix
Sitting plush with royal flush. Aces back to back...
mrMix
Brent
Brent

Postby barefootdave » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:20 pm

That's the same guitar as the ebay auction. Text is the same and so are the photos.

That is a nice guitar. I had a Yamaha similar to it back in the 80's and liked it.
Barefoot Dave
"His job is too shed light, not to master"
barefootdave
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby kennyplay » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:16 pm

that picture is not of the Yamaha ssc-500

Yamaha has a slanted bridge pickup.
also, they had round dots on the fretboard , Jerry's picture does not..
kennyplay
welcome
welcome

Previous

Return to Jerry Tone