Nice "Garcia-esque" distortion pedal

Nice "Garcia-esque" distortion pedal

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:21 am

I know Jerry never used this pedal since it didn't exist when he was still with us. But knowing that Jerry was into trying new things and then liked to stick with them once he found the worked for him, here's a pedal that I honestly think Jerry truly would have enjoyed.

The Fulltone OCD.

http://www.fulltone.com/ocd.asp

It's internal clipping/distortion method is like the MXR Distortion+ in that it uses two reversed diodes that clip the signal to ground after the gain stage. But it's got some brilliant advances in the design that include a clever means of letting the signal level alter the bias. What this does it take the MXR+ to a whole new level of dynamic expression. Very responsive to picking dynamics. You can pick it clean or dirty just with touch, yet the harmonic content of the distortion is quite similar to the MXR+. It's voiced a bit differently, but only in a good way to my ears. If anyone has one, I would recommend trying it with the little toggle switch UP, and then set the rest to taste. I can totally imagine Jerry loving this particular pedal. It's more MXR sounding than Boss sounding, yet has its own unique dynamic response. And knowing that Jerry's true mastery was in his dynamic picking control, this really may have been right up his alley.

Brad
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Re: Nice "Garcia-esque" distortion pedal

Postby waldo041 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:28 pm

+1 on the Fulltone OCD. i do know there were some problems with the early ones but would imagine they have that solved by now. that said, while the clipping diodes are part of the MXR Dist+ clipping, the cheap LM741(?) also clips and is part of it's clipping factor. one just needs to try a higher quality opamp in it to see that this is a true statement. when cloning or repairing the MXR Dist +, 2 factors come to mind from the vintage versions, 1- is the LM741 and 2 - is the 2 germanium Diodes used. i believe the newer ones utilize silicon diodes, and clip a little different.

but again the OCD is a cool pedal and can get in the MXR zone, but with it's gooped up circuit board i never really had a chance to see what's exactly in it.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:44 pm

Here's one version of the schematic. I'm not sure which generation of the OCD it represents, but you can see the basic idea. It does use a couple of MOSFETS as clipping diodes because of their tone, but the principle is the same.

Brad
OCD Scheme.jpg
OCD Scheme.jpg (61.56 KiB) Viewed 1747 times
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby tigerstrat » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:28 pm

Scott Murawski (Max Creek/Kreutzmann) uses an OCD w/ his Line6/Roland rig. Uses the hell out of it!

That was one of the new Fulltone pedals that came out right before I got out of gear retail, about 3 years ago, and I was a little bummed I hadn't gotten to properly test drive it. That, and the GT-500 was the other one... but you don't seem to see or hear about that one nearly as much.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby jackr » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:27 pm

I have both the OCD and the MXR. I prefer the OCD. But then again I am not really going for "Jerry Tone" I am going for jackr tone!
On tour '76 - '81
Clean & Sober since '87
jackr

Postby caspersvapors » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:17 pm

arent fulltone pedals in general pretty damn reputable?
caspersvapors

Postby waldo041 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:34 pm

caspersvapors wrote:arent fulltone pedals in general pretty damn reputable?

yes, they are quality pieces with quality components, but like most of the "boutique" pedal makers. they are all variations of the basic types that were already out there.

fulltone 69 = fuzzface
soulbender = tonebender
clyde wah = clyde wah
tape echo = tape echo
fulldrive = tubescreamer
there is also ,iirc, a fulltone that was a direct rip off from a guy on one of the DIY forums also.

you get the picture though, and you can do the same for other boutique guys.

now is this a bad thing? that is subjective and changes with who you talk to. for me finding that out only pushed me to do the same and just make my own and tweak to taste. this way cost's a ton less with the proper knowledge to execute it.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby JonnyBoy » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:05 am

SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:I know Jerry never used this pedal since it didn't exist when he was still with us. But knowing that Jerry was into trying new things and then liked to stick with them once he found the worked for him, here's a pedal that I honestly think Jerry truly would have enjoyed.

The Fulltone OCD.

http://www.fulltone.com/ocd.asp

It's internal clipping/distortion method is like the MXR Distortion+ in that it uses two reversed diodes that clip the signal to ground after the gain stage. But it's got some brilliant advances in the design that include a clever means of letting the signal level alter the bias. What this does it take the MXR+ to a whole new level of dynamic expression. Very responsive to picking dynamics. You can pick it clean or dirty just with touch, yet the harmonic content of the distortion is quite similar to the MXR+. It's voiced a bit differently, but only in a good way to my ears. If anyone has one, I would recommend trying it with the little toggle switch UP, and then set the rest to taste. I can totally imagine Jerry loving this particular pedal. It's more MXR sounding than Boss sounding, yet has its own unique dynamic response. And knowing that Jerry's true mastery was in his dynamic picking control, this really may have been right up his alley.

Brad

I think you're right Brad, Jerry was always evolving....

Isn't that the same kinda "Technology" that boss/Roland is using in its Dyna OD pedals? I always thought that to be a cool idea, If it is, its neat you explained how that works. I assumed it was kinda like the envelope filters dynamic control situation... I have been playing lately with a Biyang X dist pedal, it has a nifty battery like compartment where you can swap out the op amp and get different tones. It also has a 3 way switch to change the way you clip the diodes, I'm pretty sure that's what I understood fro the site... Waldo's right about the opamps, a positive change in the tone even with better quality B Brown opamps of the same type, but the ones they gave me with it are OK too.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby gr8fulbluz » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:26 pm

So I am thinking of making a kit overdrive or distortion pedal. I am looking at the general guitar/gadgets tubescreamer kits. I am guessing I should get the modifucations option, no problem this way I can do some trial and error.
I am not thinking of only Jerry tone for example just a good bluesy drive with thick tone. I would use it with my Carvin Humbucker as seen in my sig photo. And with my 16watt tube amp.

:?: Any suggestions? Mods? Any kit building pitfalls to watch for?

I am gonna try to get back into playing my electric. I play my acoustic mostly right now. So this is going to be motivation to get back to the Carvin.

Thanks.
gr8fulbluz
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby Grant » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:26 pm

I thought the OCD was more of a dumble style pedal? (eg. zendrive)... that's a pretty different tone than jerry's
Grant
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:36 pm

Been experimenting with a Subdecay Tomato Fuzz, and feel like I am getting very close to the circa-1980 fine-toothed grind, like on Minglewood, Samson, Far From Me, St. of C, Alabama... may have to try it onstage next Thursday. :twisted:
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby Grateful.Ed » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:33 pm

tigerstrat wrote:Scott Murawski (Max Creek/Kreutzmann) uses an OCD w/ his Line6/Roland rig. Uses the hell out of it!

That was one of the new Fulltone pedals that came out right before I got out of gear retail, about 3 years ago, and I was a little bummed I hadn't gotten to properly test drive it. That, and the GT-500 was the other one... but you don't seem to see or hear about that one nearly as much.

I picked up a new GT-500 for $169 about a month ago for my DRRI. This pedal gets no love....from what I've gathered, there have been at least 3 major mods to this pedal and apparently fulltone wouldn't do the mods...just provided schematics and instructions. The gray ones apparently needed help on both the dist and OD sides.

Lots of dials for tweaking, and the bass/mids/highs pots really change the tone a lot...I've found lots of usable sounds with this thing so far. And it's like a brick.

I think you get a crunchy jerry tone with the boost on, the distortion set just above minimum, and Dist into boost setting.

This is a pretty nice pedal for a DRRI. It's worth a try if you come across a used red one or a modded gray one.
Grateful.Ed
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby JonnyBoy » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:49 am

gr8fulbluz wrote:So I am thinking of making a kit overdrive or distortion pedal. I am looking at the general guitar/gadgets tubescreamer kits. I am guessing I should get the modifucations option, no problem this way I can do some trial and error.
I am not thinking of only Jerry tone for example just a good bluesy drive with thick tone. I would use it with my Carvin Humbucker as seen in my sig photo. And with my 16watt tube amp.

:?: Any suggestions? Mods? Any kit building pitfalls to watch for?

I am gonna try to get back into playing my electric. I play my acoustic mostly right now. So this is going to be motivation to get back to the Carvin.

Thanks.

forget the solder burns and endless looking for the exact combination of parts.
I have a pedal 4 sale that does EXACTLY what you are looking for. The Biyang BLUE, a great pedal well constructed and cheap ($60 retail), don't let that throw you off, sounds better than most MXR, Ibenez, Boss, etc being made today. Its called BLUE and you can have it $30 free shipping. INSANE INSANE INSANE SALE SALE SALE!!!! If your not there, you better be in jail, and if your in jail, BREAK OUT!!!! DON'T MISS THIS!!!!!
I am really not tying to solicit anything, I wrote this strictly to give you something to consider! :lol:
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby gr8fulbluz » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:31 pm

JB, Oi, made me laugh. :lol:

I can do that, lemme get some sleep first.

tanks :cool:
gr8fulbluz
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby myoung6923 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:50 am

I love the OCD - it can provide a very nice transparent & subtle sizzle. You can hear it in the jam at the end of Let it Grow - http://ia360701.us.archive.org/6/items/Fennario2010-05-15.Docs.Sports.Bar_Milford.MA/Fen_2010-05-15_D2T05_Let_it_Grow.ogg
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us

http://www.fennario.us
http://www.youtube.com/fennarioband
http://www.facebook.com/fennarioband
myoung6923

Next

Return to Jerry Tone