Postby NeebruM » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:54 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zRCkPw-OJA

what's the secret to the UTube tags?
NeebruM
Keith
Keith

Re: Stu Allen's rig/tone and JGB

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:06 am

Stu brought John Rucklick's Moriarty "Wolf" by here yesterday. Amazing guitar, gorgeous work. It's quite heavy and dense. Acoustically it's fairly quiet and non-resonant due to the heavy woods, but that also translates into long sustaining, clear notes. It reminds me of the heavy density of a steel guitar. We were in such a hurry getting some gear stuff together for Stu's DSO tour that I didn't have time to plug the guitar in and hear it amplified. But Stu's little Youtube video here demonstrates the sound and helps show what all that dense hardwood sounds like. It's very Jerry and reminds me how important the guitar itself is. I see this a lot in steel guitars too, the different tones from various designs. What I hear in this type of guitar is that the upper harmonic content hangs out longer and allows you to play gently and get a clear, sustained, bright note. Compared to a light Fender guitar or an all mahogany SG where the initial attack may contain plenty of brightness, that upper content decays more rapidly and leaves you with a mellower, darker note that rings out long. Very interesting.

I'm floored by Moriarty's workmanship and attention to detail. Kudos.

Brad
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby jdsmodulus » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:06 am

Ruk gets some serious props for loaning out the "Wolf" that will be cool to see. I wish Stu would come out with a 3x12 and MC 2300 with the sms and proper pedals. It would be cool to get as close as possible given the DSO perspective. Over on the DSO board, some of the band members have stated that they are happy and excited to have Stu for a minute but they didnt seem to be too interested in what rig he brings. I agree just because I think you could give Stu any rig (backline or whatever) and he will sound good. These upcoming shows are going to be great.
jdsmodulus

Postby keirweir » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:26 am

Seeing that Wolf in action is eye opening... Beautiful work

:hail:
keirweir

Postby jerrys.kids » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:28 am

sick!!! Love Wolf. :cool:
"Mama said, don't go near that river."
jerrys.kids
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:09 am

SarnoMusicSolutions wrote: What I hear in this type of guitar is that the upper harmonic content hangs out longer and allows you to play gently and get a clear, sustained, bright note. Compared to a light Fender guitar or an all mahogany SG where the initial attack may contain plenty of brightness, that upper content decays more rapidly and leaves you with a mellower, darker note that rings out long. Very interesting.

Precisely why I've been getting re-interested in my Schecter neck-through (maple, with mahogany wings). Monday night, I intended to just change the tone cap from .047 to .022, then got completely disgusted with the pickups (OEM: Duncan JB & Jazz), and and wound up gutting the whole thing :lol: Stayed up into the wee hours, swapping the pups out and trying my old strat pups in the H-H positions, wired passively (w/o the buffer). 100% improvement in clarity, but with the great sustain of the neck-thru and heavier woods (compared with my strat)! Next will be re-connecting the loop and buffer...

Ruklick (one "c") told me a few days ago he was doing this loan, and I thought he'd just totally lost it... hope I get to see it in action when they come through PDX.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby hogan » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:39 pm

Perhaps Disco Stu DOESadvertise.
Honest to the point of recklessness.
PM me for a cab
http://www.facebook.com/workingmansdead
Happy customers (~);-} :
paulinnc, spaceyrface43, AKdead, chuckles, ebelgee, Quebee, Kennay, bomall01, NashvilleMike, Strumminsix,jx2638,Chutley, Adam Deckard, jkstraw, TennesseeJedi, deadhead1988, spacefunkologist, rmackenzie
hogan

Postby modz » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:20 am

oops
Last edited by modz on Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tracy Lowe from Festus, MO
http://www.soundscaperproductions.com/
modz
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby modz » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:31 am

So I have been working with Brad Sarno for the last few months trying to get a good Jerry set up for Stu. It finally came down to wiring it all together. Stu and I hit Brads and picked up a few pieces and hit my shop. I have been searching for a pedal rackmount kit and asked a few of my friends on rukind for help but we didn't really find anything. We thought about a 19" lcd monitor rackmount which was a great ideal but pretty expensive and not an exact match. I finally used the correct combination of words and found the Moogerfooger rackmount kit. They are around 60.00 bucks but I didn't find it in time so I fabricated one with angle iron, plywood and sprayed it with truck bed liner. Not perfect at all but it will do until Stu gets back from this tour with DSO. I spent about 20 hours wiring, repairing old gear, fabricating and making custom length George L cords. Stu came down last night with his Moriarty wolf (loaner) and sparked his rig up. He was very happy and so was I. I also got to play the Wolf which was a lot of fun. The boys in DSO ordered some of Stu's rig and they seemed really into it to me. Stu has a 3x12 cab on the way, I am gathering all of the info I can on it. I notice that one of Jerry's 3x12's hardly had a back at all. I will put a one piece back on it and then rout the opening and this will keep such a tall cab from racking. The opening will be as big as possible. I had a bunch of aluminum clamps fabricated (thanks to the diagram from Waldo's site) and will use them on it. The clamps are for looks only in my book as I don't know too many bands that are traveling with spare JBL's for a quick change.
I don't get to check back as much as I would like but if there is any help I can give to anyone just ask.
Tracy Lowe from Festus, MO
http://www.soundscaperproductions.com/
modz
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby waldo041 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:06 am

one of the best jerry racks i have ever seen!

nice work!!

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby playingdead » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:18 am

Looks terrific!

The only thing I would have considered, since this is going to get moved around a lot, bumping over all kinds of surfaces on casters, and bouncing around in the truck-bus, would be mounting it all in a shock mount rack, especially with the McIntosh in there. I used conventional racks for my gear, but I was hand carrying everything.
playingdead

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:00 am

Vic,

the shock rack is probably part of plan B. This was a total cram session. Stu flew into town with his pedals and stuff, and then Tracy pulled an all-nighter or 2 to get it all ready for loading on the truck in time. Fortunately the DSO truck lives here in St. Louis where Tracy and I live. Were it not such a rush, I think Stu would have found a shock rack to use. So for now, like you said, it's gonna be hand carried or wheeled on soft-ride dollies.

Brad
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby jdsmodulus » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:02 am

I ordered a shock case for my rig this week. Stu's rack looks great!
jdsmodulus

Postby playingdead » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:18 am

Makes sense Brad.

Also a little bit curious why the SMS is on the bottom, as I recall you had some vents for the preamp tubes on top of the case, not that there's a whole lot of heat generated, but I imagine the McIntosh throws off some heat, and the GCX should just about cover those top vents on the SMS. You wouldn't want to swap the GCX and SMS in that setup, because of the inherent rat's nest of cables running from pedals to the GCX, but seems like the SMS could have sat on top of the power conditioner, also be easier to reach the controls there depending on how high the rack sits in the stage setup. Of course, that means a longer run from SMS to McIntosh, but that's just a 1/4 to RCA cable.

Just coming from someone who rearranged everything in his own racks about six times till I got it right :shock:

Where is he actually plugging the guitar cables in? Back of the rack? And no tuner in the setup?
playingdead

Postby Pete B. » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:28 am

Does he really run his Peak at 9 o'clock like that?
Pete B.

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone