New Tube Preamp for Jerry Tone

Re: New Tube Preamp for Jerry Tone

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:41 pm

Pete,

I don't know that amp at all.

BTW, our Garcia preamp mod page is up:

http://www.sarnomusicsolutions.com/prod ... assic.html

Brad
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:11 am

SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby bcresci » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:02 am

I like to think that I don't easily fall for marketing, but in this case, I've been whammied - the Garcia page pushed me over the edge. Keep looking around the house for things to sell so that I can get one of these.
bcresci
Mickey
Mickey

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:30 pm

Yeah,

I know I keep bumping this thread up, but I want y'all to know that I'm really not nearly as into marketing stuff as I am just a true enthusiast, and this preamp has been a real labor of love. I saw a serious void when it came to preamps for those going for "that" sound, and already being in the tube preamp business, this one really is from the heart. Jerry's rig is where my roots lie. I was going for the Jerry rig as far back as 1988. By '89 I had pretty much everything but the McIntosh. I had the buffer, the on-board loop, the JBL's, the custom Twin-like preamp, the right pedals and mounted on a rack shelf, the DiMarzios, the custom remote relay controlled pedal switcher, the remote ernie ball pedals for delay volume and timing, all that stuff. I was obsessed, and still am. Over the years I've learned a lot more about the rig and the details of designing preamp circuits. This was a natural evolution, and honestly if it wasn't for this forum and the GearHeads forum and Dozin's site, I may not have realized there was such a subculture of guitar players that may also find interest in such a preamp.

So thanks!
Brad
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby paulinnc » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:51 pm

This might seem like a silly question, can the preamp plug into another tube amp which is hooked up to a cabinet? So I guess it would be something like this, guitar>>>Preamp>>tube amp>>cabinet. Effects would go in there somewhere as well, but I am just trying to grasp the preamp concept. The whole tone shaping and rig design is kind of new to me, before I started paying attention to how gear interacted with each other I was just plug in, turn it up and play.
paulinnc

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:03 pm

Not a silly question. Your tube amp, if it's like say a guitar amplifier, already has a preamp in it. That's the gain and tone section. You don't want to run a preamp into a preamp. There are some tube "power amplifiers" out there, but I'm guessing that's not what you have. Let me know more about what you've got.

Brad
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby paulinnc » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:21 pm

What I play through is a 1956 Motorola tube amp that has been converted into a 5D3 Tweed deluxe circuit. It has a volume and a tone knob and that's it.
paulinnc

Postby playingdead » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:57 am

It doesn't sound like this applies in your case, but if a combo amp has an effects loop, you can usually plug the preamp output straight into the effects return and just use the power amp portion of the amp. That's how I run my preamp into my Focus head.
playingdead

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:51 am

Playingdead said a key thing.

Some amps will have that effects return jack, and that is the ideal place to patch in an external preamp directly to the power amp section of a guitar amp. It really depends on your amp. Older tube amps typically don't have the effects loop return, but those that do can make for very good counterparts to the SMS Classic pre.

Brad
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby paulinnc » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:04 pm

I didn't think it would work on my amp, I was just curious really. Besides the amp I am running is an authentic 1950's am with original tubes, so I really don't need to mess with that. It sounds pretty damn good the way it is.
paulinnc

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:50 pm

Just a quick update, June 11:

I've got 1 Garcia model available to ship immediately. Typically build/delivery time is 2 weeks.

$695
$20 shipping
3% paypal fee if applicable

www.sarnomusicsolutions.com

bradsarno@charter.net
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby darkstar » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:05 pm

This is cool to see you can use an Acoustic Image head as a power amp with this pre-amp. I have a Clarus 1R series II with the effects loop and assume it would work the same as Vic's Focus, just less power. Time to sell some gear to fund this pre-amp and a cabinet. These are nice heads. I used it while playing jazz in a quintet setting and a big band. It is very transparent and with it set flat, it did not color my tone at all.

-Tony
darkstar
tiger
tiger

Postby playingdead » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:20 pm

Plenty of power, Tony ... I don't think I've ever had the Focus' master up over 3 or 4 with the effects return at noon with the Egnater preamp, even outdoors on a huge stage, and Brad's preamp is much hotter on the output.

I think Brad has a great product here. And the price is terrific.
playingdead

Postby darkstar » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:22 pm

Vic,
With using the effects loop am I bypassing the preamp section of the head all together? Sorry to sound dumb, but I never used it this way and have been away from tinkering for a long time. :-D

-Tony
darkstar
tiger
tiger

Postby playingdead » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:29 pm

Effects loop return is straight to the Acoustic Image's power amp ... that's correct.

I used the first channel for the guitar preamp, and the second for the Real Tube Reverb return, and adjusted the levels accordingly, usually noon for the preamp and about 9 o'clock for the RTR, with it set totally wet on the output.

Then the AI's master volume control is your power amp level control for final output.
playingdead

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone