For you guys looking for "Jerry" guitars

Postby strumminsix » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:38 am

Pete, I have a love hate with volume knobs.

My Jackson is 1 vol and 1 tone and I love it.
So is my Parker. So easy live...

My Dot 335 is 4 (2&2) and it's so tweakable it rocks!
However, in a live environment sometimes too tweakable.

Before my Jackson became my #1 I went from a long line of 4 knobers and have to say the conversation was a breeze and it was so much fun with less to diddle with on stage.
strumminsix

Postby tigerstrat » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:18 am

High Peaks wrote:What is that slavedriver unit on picture 6? Was that in JG's chain at some point?

Dan installed the pickup for the Slavedriver 360 (included with this sale). The 360 was the first guitar synth used by Jerry in the studio in the early 80s.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby Jon S. » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:43 am

Pete B. wrote:Jon S. Are the two knobs on your guitar actually stacked vol/tone knobs?...(is that a coil tap switch, too?).

On my guitar - and keep in mind it's the earliest PRS factory model, the ones today are different - the electronics are as follows:

-master PUP volume knob

- rotary PUP selector knob

- "sweet switch"

The rotary PUP selector provides the following five options:
bridge HB
outside coils in parallel
neck and bridge HBs in parallel
inside coils in parallel
neck HB

The "sweet switch" engages a capacitor to simulate the impacts of a long cable on your tone (surprisingly versatile and useful).

There is no tone control (I wired my guitar with a resistor to simulate the effects on the overall circuit of a 500K tone pot being in the circuit/full on).
Jon S.

Postby Pete B. » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:18 am

Jon, Thanks for the info. Very intersting.
~pb
Pete B.

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:46 am

Tennessee Jedi

Postby RiverRat » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:32 pm

Last edited by RiverRat on Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
RiverRat

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:51 pm

Can anyone think of a track where the Slavedriver might have been used? Only studio albums from that era would have been Go To Heaven and In The Dark.

I thought there was some strange gear used on the Terrapin album.I guess that would pre date the pups you are talking about.
I think Pete B.posted some pics of a synth from the Terrapin years.Not sure where the pics are posted though.
Memory fuzzy
:D
Tennessee Jedi

Postby Pete B. » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:35 pm

Pure speculation based on reasonable assuption based on what I've read on the topic in the GD Gear book and online... but I think the solo Jerry plays on Terrapin Station studio version was done on a Slavedriver, specifically the passage between "His job is to shed light, and not to master..." and up to the Fmaj7 "Since the end was never told...".

It sounds like a keyboard, but the note selection is very similar to live Terrapins of the same timeframe, including the Closing of Winterland vid.

Now if I could figer out which passages were played on "The Gizmo-tron"...
8)

Edit:
Here is that original thread/link:
http://community.rukind.org/viewtopic.p ... 24fd0e0c2b
Pete B.

Postby myoung6923 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:23 pm

I played one at Guitar Center and plugged it into a 65 reissue twin - cranked up the treble and rolled down the bass and was able to get a very nice Jerry tone. The guitar tech came running over and was like "how are you getting that sound!" - turns out that he manages a band that's spun off from some of the guys in Uncle John's Band in Florida.

Aside from my Ressurection, I have a PRS custom 24 with EMG JG2 and effects loop that gets a real nice tone as well. But the 513 has that middle single coil tone. Had I known about this guitar I would have went for it instead of the custom 24
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us

http://www.fennario.us
http://www.youtube.com/fennarioband
http://www.facebook.com/fennarioband
myoung6923

Previous

Return to Jerry Tone