My Garcia rig -> Epic Diatribe -> Other Stuff

Postby playingdead » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:07 pm

One more point ... this is potentially meaningless ... but I was just reading McNally's book on the Dead (which is terrific, by the way) and it has the great description of Jerry's setup:

"A floor strip with two foot pedals and seven switches, labeled Mutron, Oct., Boss, Wah, Dist., Phase, Delay sits in front of Garcia's microphone."

Now, this does not necessarily correspond to the order Jerry's effects were in the chain, but it might be. And if the chain is like the GCX, everything has a loop that can be switched out, but you can't change the order on the fly because each loop is physically wired into the next one. I do n't think the switching systems were very sophisticated back then where they could change the order without physically rewiring it.

So, if that's correct, I would read it that Jerry liked the Mutron before the Octave, and the two overdrives before the Phase 100. And, of course, delay lastly.

It also suggests that Jerry used his wah inside his effects loop, which I do not do.
playingdead

Postby RiverRat » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:57 am

Last edited by RiverRat on Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RiverRat

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:19 am

I'd be fine with that except that I've never gotten a really fat and deep octave note to consistently track well (a la Stranger) if its coming out of an envelope sweep. Whether on a Mutron,Boss or FoxRox octaver. If I have it hit the octave first, it tracks near-perfectly and the Mutron doesnt seem to mind either.

during the 90s when JG actually used two OD pedals, fwiw I believe one was before and the other after the Mutron.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby waldo041 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:55 am

tigerstrat wrote:I'd be fine with that except that I've never gotten a really fat and deep octave note to consistently track well (a la Stranger) if its coming out of an envelope sweep. Whether on a Mutron,Boss or FoxRox octaver. If I have it hit the octave first, it tracks near-perfectly and the Mutron doesnt seem to mind either.

running an octave effect after a NON true bypassed mutron will NOT track that well because of the mutron bypassed state being active. it will and does mess with the tracking. However, ran ala' jerry in an effects switcher(GCX), which true bypasses all the effects when not engaged, then the tracking is 100% times better. ALSO a great stranger tone can be had with a mutron ran first into an octave effect. i use a GCX audio switcher and run the mutron first, then the boss oc-2 second and i can get a decent stranger tone. without an audio switcher to true bypass each pedal and running the pedals in a standard inline fashion, and you are at the mercy of each pedal that is active in it's bypassed state. and the whole reason jerry used an effects switcher for many many years. jerrys onboard effects loop is a good start, but the effects switcher completes the package. they do kinda go hand in hand.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:56 pm

waldo041 wrote:
tigerstrat wrote:I'd be fine with that except that I've never gotten a really fat and deep octave note to consistently track well (a la Stranger) if its coming out of an envelope sweep. Whether on a Mutron,Boss or FoxRox octaver. If I have it hit the octave first, it tracks near-perfectly and the Mutron doesnt seem to mind either.

running an octave effect after a NON true bypassed mutron will NOT track that well because of the mutron bypassed state being active. it will and does mess with the tracking. However, ran ala' jerry in an effects switcher(GCX), which true bypasses all the effects when not engaged, then the tracking is 100% times better. ALSO a great stranger tone can be had with a mutron ran first into an octave effect. i use a GCX audio switcher and run the mutron first, then the boss oc-2 second and i can get a decent stranger tone. without an audio switcher to true bypass each pedal and running the pedals in a standard inline fashion, and you are at the mercy of each pedal that is active in it's bypassed state. and the whole reason jerry used an effects switcher for many many years. jerrys onboard effects loop is a good start, but the effects switcher completes the package. they do kinda go hand in hand.

peace,
waldo

I understand that Mike, and I'm just relating what does and doesn't work for me.

And its true I don't use an audio switcher just the onboard loop to a straight chain of FX. However, my 1st two pedals are my FoxRox Octron and my Mutron and both are TB, as is my Phasor II. I do have two non-true bypass pedals in my chain, my SD-1(modded, sort of "part" of an 808 mod, leaving the op-amp and the asymm clipping) O/D and my AD-80 delay- the SD-1 seems to not effect the bypass sound audibly at all and the AD-80, at the very end of the chain, adds the slightest hint of audible "blanket" when bypassed but at an acceptably imperceptible level for stage use for me.

So yeah I may have a tiny bit of buffering all the time when my loop is on,(fairly impossible to detect in a live setting) but it shouldn't affect the stability of the pedals at the front of the chain.

Anyway, nothing's broke, nothing needs fixing :smile:
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby jeffm725 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:17 pm

its funny isnt it? We all have similiar setups but different findings and preferences.

I am in the same boat as Tiger in that I just cant get the octave to track properly and give me the thickness that I so look for when I run it with the AF-9, after the AF-9. Waldo, I have known you for a while, and Vic too, I have the utmost in respect for the both of you when it comes to your knowledge and abilities. I TOTALLY buy in to your findings and opinions in regards to running the Octave after the auto-filter, so much so that I actually went and switched them on my board last week for a couple days. I just couldn't get it to work for me. Thought it was the AF-9 at first so swapped it with a q-tron, same thing....go figure
jeffm725

Postby playingdead » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:24 pm

I am running the GCX tonight for the first time, will report back on how it goes. But I never had trouble with the Q-Tron before the Octave, either.

Unfortunately, no Mutron tonight, but I did wire in the Q-Tron this morning.
playingdead

Postby waldo041 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:23 pm

playingdead wrote:Unfortunately, no Mutron tonight, but I did wire in the Q-Tron this morning.

i'll have to fix that for ya! :oops:

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby jeffm725 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:15 am

speaking of switching systems (actually more of a byppass loop than a true switching system even), this one has me drooling, but the price tag is HUGE:

http://www.thegigrig.com/acatalog/TheGigRig_Pro-14_BLack.html
jeffm725

Postby waldo041 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:02 am

when in need of a switcher, all the special bells and whistles are not all that necessary. especially if you will never use them. here is a custom switcher that will do the job and should be affordable.

http://www.singlecoil.com/custom.html

and if you want to make it even cheaper here is how to make them.
http://www.singlecoil.com/tb-strip/tbstrip.html

if you do make your own, one suggestions for the build. first is to make the input and output on one TRS stereo plug, so you can use one streo cord instead of 2 like with a stereo Y cables.

with jerry's onboard preamp and effects loop, this switcher will do wonders for an effects chain.

peace,
waldo
waldo041

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:19 am

Thats gear heaven !
:cool: :cool: :cool:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby strumminsix » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:26 am

http://www.woboge.com/remote.html

It's like $500 and is similar to the GCX.
Something to consider on a budget and lo-tech skills
strumminsix

Last Rose of Summer

Postby petcat » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:01 pm

So 369 days ago I got dumped after a very short romance by a quite stunning but troubled lass from Philadelphia. She had issues with some of my lifestyle choices. I was pretty broken up about it afterwards since I'm getting on in years. Around Christmas I decided that after many years playing Phil in various bands and NOT playing much since moving to the cursed town of DC and missing all the fantastic lead players I'd worked with over the years I'd put together my own Jerry Rig and regain some of the peace I'd felt, some of the sanity I'd lost, and some of the good sounds I'd heard through the years.

I owe everyone on this site a great debt and you have my heartfelt thanks for all the questions, directions, insights and commentary that has lead to this point. Your inspiration has helped drive the gear decisions and configuration. Here is what I am now playing through and all apologies for my lack of proper digital camera:

Guitar > custom mono/stereo guitar switch box > Korg-DTR-1000 Tuner > GCX switcher IN > (Boss GE-7 EQ + Mutron III) (Boss OC-2 Octave) (Boss OD-2 Distortion) (MXR Script Phase 100) (Boss GE-7 EQ + Boss OD-1 Distortion) (Digitech Clapton pedal) (Xotic Effects RC booster or MXR Distortion plus) (MXR Analog Delay) > GCX switcher OUT> Lexicon MPX-100 > 1974 Silverface Twin preamp out > Macintosh 2205 amp > Hard Truckers JG-3 (JBL-E120s)

GCX is switched by Ground Control pedalboard and two Ernie Ball volume pedal controllers.

Guitars are: 2006 Alembic Further, Casio PG-380 w/Modulus neck, 1991 Alvarez WY-1, 1979 Martin HD-35

Needless to say, I'm feeling better these days, and singing a song of my own.

petcat
tiger
tiger

Postby playingdead » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:30 pm

Damn, that looks terrific ... let's hear some sound samples! I'm curious how the Alembic sounds with their electronics and pickups, come on up to Boston sometime and we'll plug it in alongside my Tiger. I'm constantly toying with getting a Further but being a lefty, I have to get it built sight unheard, so to speak.

Here's where my rig's at now sonically:

http://www.playingdead.net/scarletjam.mp3

Egnater M4 tube preamp -> Real Tube Reverb -> Acoustic Image Focus 2R power amp -> 2 E-120s.

My effects are through a GCX as well, can you detail how you set up your various loops?

playingdead

Postby petcat » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:08 pm

Ah, yes Playing, I have seen your rig, very, very nice and thanks - some of it was my inspiration. The sound of the Twin compared to the Boogie Mk III I had been playing is completely different, not bad with the Casio, but this setup is getting very close to The Sound and better for the Further.
I'll see about some recording files, but I only recently got the Twin preamped and am getting used to it. Have only rehearsed with the guys a few times so I'm not totally nailed down yet - plus the band is just getting off the ground.
Boston, being the other side of the Hudson, is my mother's territory, and I'm not ready to roll in there yet...

The OP has the loop setup in the > effect > effect format
petcat
tiger
tiger

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone