Deluxe Reverb Tech questions Waldo Brad help needed

Deluxe Reverb Tech questions Waldo Brad help needed

Postby gdrfk1990 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:36 am

So I have been lurking all the different gear and fender forums and have come up with a few options I was just wondering what you guys might think.

where I am now.. I have the DRRI reissue I have 6L6s Solid state rectifier and JBL k120 sounds fantastic But everyone I play with uses at least 50w amps keyboard player uses a 60w tube amp he's right next to me and in at least 1 band the bobby guy uses a Twin. Keep in mind I like the portability and do not want a 70lbs Twin Combo .

So either I am thinking A Silverface Dual Showman either already blackfaced or I will get it done $800-900 +$400 1 12 speaker cab (for the nice one with the handle it seems they range from $100 -$400 I would put the JBL I have in) / or if I have the Deluxe Rebuilt with a point to point circuit board can the transformer and choke be upgraded to get it to push 50 w .. Like half a Twin when you have the 4/2 6L6 switch ?? $700-$900 complete

I am also considering SMS Carvin Route but I am partial to all tube stuff... Thoughts suggestions all welcome please

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw-IgSz-Qxw

This is with me through the PA and no one else is that's the only way I am cutting through
https://www.facebook.com/gregory.katavolos/posts/10210506625721729?notif_t=like_tagged&notif_id=1501968071991697
gdrfk1990
Pigpen
Pigpen

Re: Deluxe Reverb Tech questions Waldo Brad help needed

Postby TeeJay » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:17 am

Leave the Deluxe as is for its portability. Get a properly modded twin head and hit an E120 with 4 6L6s.
TeeJay
Billy
Billy

Postby gdrfk1990 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:01 am

I am leaning that way TeeJay would a silverface Dual Showman be that? as that is all I really see on the market... as far as heads I see Showmans Bandmasters etc but no Twins.... do I have to buy a combo then do the head myself ?

Also I am looking to add a push pull pot or 2 for coil tapping I use Waldo's Strat Wiring diagram 1 guitar has 2 Humbuckers and a single coil one has 3 humbuckers... any help there would be appreciated as well
Thanks
Eric
gdrfk1990
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby TeeJay » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:18 am

Silverface twin combos are plentiful, and you could always put in in a head cabinet. Cabs are not cheap so there is an added cost. Does the Showman have reverb? Sorry what is the question with the HB coil tap switches?
TeeJay
Billy
Billy

Postby gdrfk1990 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:23 am

Yes Silverface Dual Showman Reverb early 70's from what I understand they are essentially Twins in a Head ?

I believe I am looking to tap at least the middle pickup with a push pull pot but am open to other combo's etc with 2 push pull pots... I don't want to drill any holes for switches (I know I am picky LOL)
gdrfk1990
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby TeeJay » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:38 am

Just follow Waldos diagrams. They show toggles but the push/pull pots hook up the same.
TeeJay
Billy
Billy

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:32 pm

Last night I played a Jerry show, something we do here annually. I rarely put together my full-blown, mini Jerry rig, but when I do it's a total blast. The new addition to my rig this year was a SSP (Thanks Tracy!!) 2-12" cabinet. In years past, I've used a pair of 1-12" cab's. The full, fat, warm resonance that comes from the larger volume of the 2-12" box was really a deal-maker for me. It didn't make it louder and it didn't make it more "bassy", but it gave the notes a bigger body, a fuller, bigger "boink". So, at the moment I'm feeling like a 2-12 (or 3-12") cab is really a special thing when it comes to going for a good Jerry tone.

It seems to me that a well-modded (See Waldo) Dual Showman Reverb or Twin Reverb head into the right 2-12" open back cab with K120's or D120F's will really get you there in a big way. And I also think a modded Super-Reverb head is a great option, a stiff 40-50 watts if you find the 4-6L6 amps too loud.

B
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby Gr8fulCadi » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:07 pm

SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:It seems to me that a well-modded (See Waldo) Dual Showman Reverb or Twin Reverb head into the right 2-12" open back cab with K120's or D120F's will really get you there in a big way. And I also think a modded Super-Reverb head is a great option, a stiff 40-50 watts if you find the 4-6L6 amps too loud.

B

The Maestro twin is simply spot on Jerry goodness from the clips I've heard, you can't go wrong there. I went a different route ONLY because I already had a Super Reverb clone, built by Rick Hayes of Vintage Sound Amps. I then had Shakedown do some mods to it and put it into a head and I coudnt be happier with Portability and tone of it. While I can get great Jerry tone with it, it's not Maestro Jerry tone. It does however have a blaster built into the amp so I can get some grit at low volume. Pre amp tap to an mc250 if need be, and a multi-tap transformer so i can use any speaker combo, two d120's, for Jerry stuff, some Weber 10's or EVM12L.

Point being, it's hard to beat the 6L6 tone for Jerry but the Deluxe Reverb is still a great amp.
Gr8fulCadi
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby Jon S. » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:37 am

gdrfk1990 wrote:
I am also considering SMS Carvin Route but I am partial to all tube stuff... Thoughts suggestions all welcome please

Old prejuidices die hard. This rig is actually one of your best options for portable, quality tone. If live near Wash. DC, you're welcome to A-B mine with my FYD-McIntosh rig (also SS power amp, of course).
/ `--'(
< [] []////////|::: )
\_.--.(
Jon S.

Postby Arafel » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:16 am

Why not just run the Deluxe Reverb as a head and use an extension cab? Trey did that with Phish on the 2003 tour, and again last summer.

Don't forget, power isn't the most important thing. A Twin is going to be approximately 5-6 DB louder than a Deluxe, which isn't a huge amount. Sometimes it's really all about the amount of air pushed by the speakers.

If you really feel you need more juice though, there are options. I had a Twin Reverb RI, and I converted it to a head unit only, and then I ran that into my Hard Truckers 2x12 Fatty equipped with Celestion Century Vintages. I liked it, but then on a whim I bought a used Dr. Z EZG 50 head, and I haven't looked back. Every now and then I pull out the Twin, but the Dr. Z is way more responsive. It's an outstanding head, and the good Dr. calls it he blackface Super that never was.

Yesterday in the studio, I actually used my little 5 watt Swart Atomic Space Tone Jr and was happy as a clam. Think I'm going to use it for a gig in the future, just for the heck of it.
Arafel
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby gdrfk1990 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:42 am

So I am now leaning toward having the amp rebuilt into a point to point amp.... https://www.rocknrollamps.com/fender-reissue-conversions.html this guy says he will convert the amp to point to replace the power/output transformers and choke for $970.. That seems worth it to me as his amps sell for close to 4k. I also reached out to Shakedown and FYD to inquire if they would do the same thing or if they had anything similar I could buy .. Does anyone have experience with Rock and Roll amps ? Or does anyone want to talk me out of this/ give me advice on how to have him wire the AB763 ?

Basic handwire mod as per website single channel, reverb, no trem $525
Complete transformer set installed $360
Mid pot and knob installed $ 25
New electrolytic caps $ 60
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
$970.00 plus shipping
I would offer $110.00 less if no new power transformer. But, you will have to sign a waiver saying you were warned of the possibility for failure of the stock transformer. Not speced for 6L6. Some people have been successful with 6L6 and stock transformer and others have had the amp burn up. I will not take that responsibility. 6L6 uses twice the heater current.
gdrfk1990
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby gdrfk1990 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:06 am

This is the other option. Funny as it is both are in West Babylon NY.. He says I can come out play it this week. This becomes a way louder, Bigger, more expensive option though

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-Fender-Dua ... SwTf9ZTC-9

Or I have a friend that will sell me a 1968 Fender Twin with JBLs I guess this is a silverface outside with blackface inside for $1200 but I am thinking this will weigh 70lbs at least
gdrfk1990
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby Gr8fulCadi » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:38 am

I personally would keep the deluxe reverb RI jus that, a RI. Keep it as a backup or sell it and take that cash and hit up one of the many options given above. SMS/carvin, super reverb head or Twin head (with mods) etc and get a speaker cab, 1x12 or 2x12. If the Deluxe was already PTP then maybe proceed, that's jus my opinion of course.
Gr8fulCadi
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby gdrfk1990 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:04 am

Yes I am talking to FYD now and am thinking of getting a preamp from him he also says he will do rebuild. I am weighing options right now any input is welcome and appreciated
gdrfk1990
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby gdrfk1990 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:29 am

Part of me feels like I need to at least complete changing the transformers to the DRRI or go back to the 6v6s and tube rectifier does that make sense to anyone ?
gdrfk1990
Pigpen
Pigpen

Next

Return to Jerry Tone