Deluxe Reverb Tech questions Waldo Brad help needed

Re: Deluxe Reverb Tech questions Waldo Brad help needed

Postby gdrfk1990 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:11 pm

I am going to run through my reasoning for rebuilding

I don't think I want an 85w amp in 2 pieces or 1

I want a 50 w point to point combo AB763 with 2 6L6s (that I can put down plug in and have it sound amazing clean and with the low note response you need for jerry)

New this is about 2k minimum / both rock and roll and fyd say they can bring in the conversion around 1k
I see DRRI circuit boards on ebay as low as $75 and i could save mine if I wanted to.. I am just saying there is no real value in the circuit board.... If I can save a grand minimum on the new amp then the amp I have used for 7 years now pays for itself no ??

Option B is FYD $900 Carvin $350 1x12 cab $350 = $1600 unless I get a cheaper cab
gdrfk1990
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby waldo041 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:21 pm

gdrfk1990 wrote:I want a 50 w point to point combo AB763 with 2 6L6s (that I can put down plug in and have it sound amazing clean and with the low note response you need for jerry)

I think there are whole lot of guys who want exactly the same thing. I personally have exactly what you want, but it is not clean at a playable volume. Into a mac and jbl's it sounds great, it is only when used as a combo that the volume has to be low to stay clean.

best of luck,

~waldo
Disclaimer: I only make, modify or build things for those that seek what i may be able to provide.
waldo041

Postby chipperj » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:49 pm

Hi!
Fwiw, I had my '69 DR converted to 6L6s (with all new iron) to bring it up to the 35-40 watt range. It sounded pretty great, but it took a final swing through Shakedown amps to get it closer to 'that' sound. I have to say, though... it sounds way closer when it's plugged into a 2x12 JBL cab (SSP cab. Can't recommend Tracy highly enough).

I think if I were to do it again, however, I would have Waldo build (or convert) a head, and couple it with the 2x12. The sound clips he has posted recently sound amazing.
chipperj
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby gdrfk1990 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:24 am

Thanks guys

I don't think I can go to a 2 x12 cab yet A as it's just more than I can lug around and B when needed
I supply the band PA so it all has to fit in my Subaru Crosstrek (the small one)

FYD says he will do the Jerry Mods to the preamp and use Mercury Magnetics for the Transformers

Waldo what do you Have ? Are you saying the separate cabinet is essential ? Can I get away with the 1x12 Cab like Bonacci ?(His sounds great)

If I went the component way FYD can do the preamp soon But Carvin is out of stock on The DCM200l are there alternatives there ? QSC QX3?
gdrfk1990
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby rugger » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:48 am

Don't hand wire the Deluxe RI. You will never get that money back.

john in san diego
rugger
Bear
Bear

Postby waldo041 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:54 pm

rugger wrote:Don't hand wire the Deluxe RI. You will never get that money back.

john in san diego

+1

gdrfk1990 wrote:Waldo what do you Have ?

Right now, 2 amps on the bench and not enough time!

gdrfk1990 wrote:Are you saying the separate cabinet is essential ?

No, a separate cabinet is not essential. What i am saying is 2 6L6's will not make you happy.

gdrfk1990 wrote:Can I get away with the 1x12 Cab like Bonacci ?(His sounds great)

Yes you can, even with 4 6L6's!

~waldo
Disclaimer: I only make, modify or build things for those that seek what i may be able to provide.
waldo041

Postby gratefulredhead » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:17 am

My twin head with Mercury mag transformers and Jerry mods is very portable. I haven't weighed it but I'd guess 40 lbs. And it's cabinet is made of solid walnut, so it could be even lighter. I preamp out I to a Mosvalve 962 power amp that weighs about 10 lbs or less and it sounds great into one 12 inch speaker. I like Alnico mag speakers for the tone and the lighter weight. I have a JBL k120 and a Weber Alnico Cali 12. They sound almost identical, and I rarely use them both at once.
gratefulredhead
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby czyfingers » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:41 pm

There are many viable options that have been mentioned here. I've tried just about all of them and they all work well. I also have a DRRI that I play at home and for certain gig situations. Great amp for what it is, but converting one of those to PTP, converting to 6L6s and upgrading transformers still isn't going to give you the clean volume and headroom that you're after and it's not going to compete with your Bobby players twin. I put a SS rectifier in mine and I run a 12AT7 instead of a 12AX7 in V2 in an attempt to keep it cleaner for longer, but once you hit a certain volume and gain threshold, they get still get dirty. It's just the nature of the beast. Deluxes were never meant to be super loud and clean like a twin. With all that said, I have an SMS/MC50 setup that I use with either a 2x12 or 1x12 with K or E120s depending on the application, a heavily modded blackfaced, Jerrified 72 DSR (twin head) that I run sometimes tapped and sometimes with the tube Power section and I've also owned and sold an FYD pre, a Carvin DCM200l and a 60 lb MC 2120. All of those 3 mentioned rigs deliver the goods wonderfully. I love my DRRI for certain things, like playing at home where I don't need massive clean volume or for playing non dead stuff that doesn't require bell like clean tones at high volumes while playing with a band but IMHO no matter what you do to it, a DRRI is never going to totally cut the mustard for a Jerry rig being played in a full band setting. I'd recommend spending that money you'd be sinking into the deluxe upgrades into one of the other options mentioned. As far as portability goes...you can go the SMS/Carvin route in a 2 space shallow rack that will weigh about 11 lbs all combined and use a 1x12 cab and you're pretty damn portable. If you already have a speaker, you can have all of it, including the rack brand new for around $1300-1500, depending on how much you pay for the cab. Although as Brad said earlier, a 2x12 just sounds so much more "full" than a 1x12. But there's trade offs in everything. A 1x12 can still sound great. The Carvin sounded good and had plenty of power but I'm willing to lug 15 lbs extra for how much better the MC50 sounds to my ears. So the Carvin I had now has a new owner as does the 60lb overpowered MC2120. Anyway those are my thoughts based on my experiences with exactly what you're struggling with. Hope it helps some. Good luck brother!
czyfingers
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby gdrfk1990 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:39 pm

Thanks for all the advice guys ultimately I went for a Rivera era Concert head Joe at Shakedown amps had in the shop. I played it tonight at practice sounded pretty sweet. Waldo I hope you are wrong as this has 2 6L6s but seems to have plenty of clean headroom. I am hesitant to get Dual showman as I still play small venues I wanted 50-60 watts and this seemed to fit the bill.. Opinions??? I will post some samples with Hard Truckers 2X12 cab monday or tuesday.. Ordering a 1X12 cab from Sound Scaper Productions
gdrfk1990
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby czyfingers » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:59 am

Hey...I can't really offer an opinion on the Rivera era Amp, because I have no experience with it...If it sounds good to you and you're happy with it, that's most important. Regarding the comment about the DSR...I've used mine in venues as small as my basement and bedroom and it sounds good. So I don't think you can do wrong with that option. However, I usually end up running it with 2 power tubes pulled, so maybe you're on the right track! Post some clips so we can hear it when you can!
czyfingers
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby Jon S. » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:15 am

gdrfk1990 wrote:Thanks for all the advice guys ultimately I went for a Rivera era Concert head Joe at Shakedown amps had in the shop. I played it tonight at practice sounded pretty sweet. Waldo I hope you are wrong as this has 2 6L6s but seems to have plenty of clean headroom. I am hesitant to get Dual showman as I still play small venues I wanted 50-60 watts and this seemed to fit the bill.. Opinions??? I will post some samples with Hard Truckers 2X12 cab monday or tuesday.. Ordering a 1X12 cab from Sound Scaper Productions

Try running a straight cord into the all-tube effects loop and, adjusting the input and output controls, use the loop as an additional gain stage. On this amp, which I owned for many years (combo version with stock EV speaker upgrade), the 6L6s are run at high voltages and are clean to the point that some view the tone as sterile. I emphasize some because you might like it that way and that's fine. But if you want to "loosen up" the amp's response a bit, the effect loop can be used effectively for this. Happy experimenting!
/ `--'(
< [] []////////|::: )
\_.--.(
Jon S.

Postby gdrfk1990 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:35 pm

That's funny Jon S part of the reason I got this was I thought it would break up at a lower volume than a twin. I believe Joe tinkered with the caps in the tone stack on the clean channel. He said something about rolling off the highs making it less harsh. Not sure what he did with the drive channel but he said with the gain on 1 Master on 10 it's jerry all day. Played it at practice last night and a gig tonight. Sounded sweet large improvement to deluxe reissue. Even if it doesn't quite get me to dual showman tone it's a bit smaller, lighter and cheaper.
gdrfk1990
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby Jon S. » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:26 am

gdrfk1990 wrote:That's funny Jon S part of the reason I got this was I thought it would break up at a lower volume than a twin. I believe Joe tinkered with the caps in the tone stack on the clean channel. He said something about rolling off the highs making it less harsh. Not sure what he did with the drive channel but he said with the gain on 1 Master on 10 it's jerry all day. Played it at practice last night and a gig tonight. Sounded sweet large improvement to deluxe reissue. Even if it doesn't quite get me to dual showman tone it's a bit smaller, lighter and cheaper.

An amp can break up at a lower volume than a Twin and still be remarkably clean and tight, particularly when the amp shipped stocked with Sylvania 6L6STRs run at or around 600 plate volts. All in all, the Rivera-era Concerts are great amps even if the wiring does tend to look like spaghetti on the inside! You owe it to yourself to at least experiment with a straight cord in the effects loops varying the loop's input and output levels.
/ `--'(
< [] []////////|::: )
\_.--.(
Jon S.

Postby waldo041 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:42 am

Jon S. wrote:An amp can break up at a lower volume than a Twin and still be remarkably clean and tight, particularly when the amp shipped stocked with Sylvania 6L6STRs run at or around 600 plate volts.

Really? What is the Max Plate Voltage of the Sylvania 6L6-STR? 600 volts on the plates seems really high to me.

~waldo
waldo041

Postby gdrfk1990 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:43 am

Here are some samples of the new amp let me know what you think. Any advice will be well appreciated it's still not dialed in where I want it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivRpJN0L6wU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTHG2598hWA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEd90MQvIjU
gdrfk1990
Terrapin
Terrapin

Previous

Return to Jerry Tone