Pre Wired/Drop In Pickguard?

Pre Wired/Drop In Pickguard?

Postby Capt Rosebuddy » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:58 am

I'm crowd sourcing a question that I've had for a while, I did a quick search on the forum and didn't turn up anything.

After having to downsize and sell off my sweet Garcia rig when I moved in with my now wife (a much smaller living space, but much happier life, so... pretty good trade:) I'm finding I can not shake off the need to have a Garcia guitar. Truth told I was never totally stoked with my PRS modd'd guitar, the scale length was off and once you got above the open position sounded totally glassy and just wrong, could have been the amp set up too, but at this point doesn't matter too much.

Anyway, a cheep fix is always better, and I have my eye on a new, new guitar, so I'm wondering if anyone has ever made or marketed a drop in pre wired Strat pickguard with the Dimarzio, effect loop, buffer setup? I have a really nice Custom Shop strat that I can't bring myself to re wire but a drop in kit would work great with.

Thanks Bro's!

ps How great was Long Strange Trip!?
Capt Rosebuddy
Skeleton
Skeleton

Re: Pre Wired/Drop In Pickguard?

Postby TeeJay » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:23 am

The OBEL and 9v would complicate the idea of drop in pickguard. There will be some level of modding the strat. There are ways to be minimally invasive, but I am not sure if it would qualify as "drop in".
TeeJay
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby mkaufman » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:36 am

People have reversed the cable jack housing so it's above pickguard and the battery fits underneath.

Now, can it accommodate a 2nd jack?

It would be a great option.

ace
THE best way to score gear: http://www.auctionstud.com

For discounts on extended Dell warranties: http://www.advantech-ny.com/DellComputerWarranty/
mkaufman

Postby Capt Rosebuddy » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:29 am

TeeJay wrote:The OBEL and 9v would complicate the idea of drop in pickguard. There will be some level of modding the strat. There are ways to be minimally invasive, but I am not sure if it would qualify as "drop in".

Man, glad I asked. I've been proving that no such thing as a dumb question wrong from an early age... You're totally right. In terms of the OBEL anyway, I've seen the battery attached to the back of the guard before so that won't be a big deal. I wonder tho if there is room to put a top mounted jack next to the wiper switch and have it fit in the existing route. I guess I could buy a pedal version of a buffer and attach it at the end of the cain (I've actually noticed a few dudes putting the JHS mini buffers on the back side of the pedal board which is a cool idea).
Capt Rosebuddy
Skeleton
Skeleton

Postby TeeJay » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:22 am

With some skill and creativity guys have put a crazy amount of Jerry gear under that pickguard. It just is not a great candidate for a prewired or drop in assembly.
TeeJay
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby waldo041 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:14 pm

Capt Rosebuddy wrote:I could buy a pedal version of a buffer and attach it at the end of the cain (I've actually noticed a few dudes putting the JHS mini buffers on the back side of the pedal board which is a cool idea).

I am not really sure if people who do this actually know what the purpose of the buffer is in the context of Jerry's use. Using it on the floor and not in the guitar defeats the impedance change eliminating the cables capacitance and guitars volume controls resistance interaction. Also, having it on the floor should also require putting the OBEL on the floor as well. IMHO, it is useless on the floor, most pedals bypassed states will already have a buffer type circuit in their off state so why the need for another?

TeeJay is correct, this type of guitar circuit is not very condusive to a prewired pickguard.

~waldo
Disclaimer: I only make, modify or build things for those that seek what i may be able to provide.
waldo041

Postby mgbills » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:11 pm

Greetings All.
I actually love the idea of a pre-wired . I just finished a Strat rebuild. I've refined my personal wiring techniques a bit, and feel as though a "near" drop-in could be possible. I don't want to misrepresent my skill. Tigerizing a Strat is a messy proposition.

But there are two caveats.
1) The project needs shielding in the cavity and somewhere around the buffer no matter what.
2) I would never feel good about putting a battery under a pickguard. It's just too kludgy and annyoying to change even for a weeknight practice session.

Waldo used to have a "basic" single coil Strat wiring diagram with buffer on his page. The lack of coil splits & OBEL may make it cleaner. That may be a nice setup for a Custom Shop guitar.

I've been playing the Tigerized version too long to want anything less at this point.

For what it's worth...
Peace
M
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby mkaufman » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:33 pm

I would think you could use phantom power to eliminate the need for a battery and it wouldn't be too difficult. You'd replace the standard amp cable with another TRS cable. Output signal to the amp goes on tip and input 9V DC goes on the ring. You'd also need a box to send the output signal to the amp and connect the 9V DC input to the ring.

The Ibanez 2622 (Steve Miller model) did exactly this.

ace
THE best way to score gear: http://www.auctionstud.com

For discounts on extended Dell warranties: http://www.advantech-ny.com/DellComputerWarranty/
mkaufman

Postby shadowboxer » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:02 pm

I once suggested to the Sigler Music store a few years ago that they should consider doing a Garcia pickguard since they do plenty of other artist pickguards. They expressed some interest but nothing ever happened as far as I know.
shadowboxer
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby GeneralGoldilocks » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:34 pm

Here may be an answer to the battery problem. https://www.fishman.com/products/series ... ack-strat/
like waves against the bandstand dancers broke
GeneralGoldilocks
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby ccw3432 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:03 pm

You'd have to do some routing if you're looking at putting humbuckers in and the OBEL definitely makes a drop-in option difficult. Have you considered replacing the output jack plate with an Alembic Blaster and otherwise keeping the stock pickguard and setup? It's a pretty straight-forward and reversible modification.
ccw3432
Skeleton
Skeleton

Postby Capt Rosebuddy » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:24 pm

I feel that it's a good candidate for a modification, however after taking a look at the route on the body of my guitar, unfortunately I would need to rout the cavity and given the value of the guitar that's not an option.

So agin I find myself back a square one, the more time I spend dwelling on the Irwin design, the more I marvel at what those guys managed to achieve.
Capt Rosebuddy
Skeleton
Skeleton

Postby joethepainter » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:11 pm

Here's the gut shots, and labeled pickguard shots, of the strat build Brian (milobender) did for me years ago. Still works flawlessly!

joethepainter
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby tatittle » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:25 pm

It can be done with a swimming pool route, second that.
With regular route you would have to choose a single coil, often SDS-1 pups are too tall to fit in vintage strat routes too. There is a thread on moding a Super 2 into a single but that's trickier than wiring the guitar imo.
Scarlet Fire guitars used to top quality sell double jack plates with a mini-switch for OBEL.
I put the battery and Wald under the pickguard (wouldn't fit under jackplate). I used push/pull pots for coil tap.
It doesn't have to be as adjustable/customized as the pickguard above.
tatittle

Location: Johns Island, SC via NJ; Bklyn; Detroit; Charleston; Boulder; Miami; D.C.; etc

Postby joethepainter » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:41 pm

tatittle wrote:It can be done with a swimming pool route, second that.
With regular route you would have to choose a single coil, often SDS-1 pups are too tall to fit in vintage strat routes too. There is a thread on moding a Super 2 into a single but that's trickier than wiring the guitar imo.
Scarlet Fire guitars used to top quality sell double jack plates with a mini-switch for OBEL.
I put the battery and Wald under the pickguard (wouldn't fit under jackplate). I used push/pull pots for coil tap.
It doesn't have to be as adjustable/customized as the pickguard above.

Oh, absolutely, I agree. Only posted this to show what's possible. :-)
Also, I was just gonna post a link to the original thread that milo started (Packed Strat), but the pics are gone due to the photobucket shakedown. So, what the hey. At least the pics are here, should anyone care. :-)
joethepainter
Terrapin
Terrapin

Next

Return to Jerry Tone