Need a light Weight/ awesome jerry tone amp

Re: Need a light Weight/ awesome jerry tone amp

Postby MattMan » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:05 am

waldo041 wrote:
franklins_timmy wrote:Fender Blues Jr, will get you real nice Jerry tone. Swap out the speaker and it will get a bit closer. Won't nail the tone like what the others have suggested will, but it will be in the ballpark. Plus it will be a little easier on the wallet if that's an issue.

All mentioned thus far will not nail his tone, but will get you in the ballpark. The lightest amp that NAILS the tone and feel is a properly modified Fender Twin Reverb, one JBL or 2(k or E).

~waldo

Just to clarify, Brian's killer tone in this clip is Wald-Electronics' Maestro Twin and 2 JBL speakers. The amp is the Twin tubes. So basically you're bringing a head and a cabinet. I'd say that's fairly convenient for awesome Jerry tone. Of course don't forget how crucial the guitar preamp is. Before we put the Wald preamp in Brian's axe the tone was not correct Jerry. After the preamp, and playing through the Wald Twin with its tubes, Brian and I could not believe how the tone just dialed in so precisely. So I can't emphasize enough the importance of the guitar preamp along with the Twin and JBLs.
MattMan
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby hippieguy1954 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:38 am

I think most would agree that Mike's Maestro modded Twin and his/the preamp buffer along with JBL's and proper pick and guitar, nails "the tone" without question. I love my Maestro twin head. :cool: That is not the point here.

What one person considers "light" can easily be "heavy" for another person. To me, the head is not light. The 2x12 is not light. The McIntosh is not light. The pedal board is not light.
None of it is "light" to me, so I use a hand truck and have no problems. :smile:
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby gdeloian » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:53 am

Quilter Micropro Mach II. Weighs nothing. Less than 7lbs. 1x12 JBL E 120 and a proper pedal board. Waldos buffer in the guitar. Bam. I load in to a gig with my gig bag on my back, my speaker in one hand and head and pedal board over my shoulder. Done.
gdeloian
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby hippieguy1954 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:15 am

All the suggestions in this thread are viable light weight alternatives, and many audiences would not know the difference between them and the real deal. Only us Jerry tone junkies will. That said, all the alternatives will also be a compromise compared to the real deal.
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby milobender » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:13 pm

gdeloian wrote:Quilter Micropro Mach II. Weighs nothing. Less than 7lbs. 1x12 JBL E 120 and a proper pedal board. Waldos buffer in the guitar. Bam. I load in to a gig with my gig bag on my back, my speaker in one hand and head and pedal board over my shoulder. Done.

+1 :cool: :smile: :smile: :smile:
IO Custom Guitars
http://www.iocustomguitars.com
Luthier and Quilter Amplification Dealer
Everything we know is wrong...
milobender

Postby playingdead » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:36 am

How close to "awesome" do you want to be? Wrestling a Twin with E-120s is not too bad if you put casters on it, just a bitch lifting it in and out of the car and, god forbid, if there are stairs at the venue. Years ago I was alarmed to see the overweight guitarist I was playing with redfaced and puffing as he struggled to get his Twin up a steep flight of about 24 stairs. Not alarmed enough to actually CARRY it for him -- I had my own stuff to haul at that point. He survived.

Splitting the Twin into a head and carrying the E-120s into 1X12 cabinets ... I went down the road, too. It's slightly more convenient, although it does not reduce the overall weight of the setup, just makes it two separate carries. The same is really true with the rack system and separate cabinets ... did that, as well, but wound up with a 6-space rack for the pedals and GCX and a 4-space for the preamp and reverb. Put the 2X12 in a real road case with rollers and carried a dog ramp to muscle it up into the wagon. Stairs became the bane of my existence, as well as stages a few feet high with no ramps.

No questions the JBLs and Twin setup is the most authentic way to get the sound, assuming you have the right guitar and a good touch. Unfortunately, that does not come with Steve Parish to haul it, so you can either put up with it or compromise.

For me, as I got more into my 40s I decided that "close enough" was "good enough" and the last couple years have been using a Fractal AX8 floorboard and going direct to FOH. If the venue has good monitors (QSC K12s are everywhere now), all I need to carry is the floorboard and the guitar. Setup and teardown in 3 minutes. If I need a monitor I have an Atomic CLR Neo that is plenty loud enough and sounds great to me. Have also used QSC K12s and K10s -- the K10 is fairly light and compact.

I love having a rig I can actually walk on a plane with. But this is also a place with knowledgeable people who have dissected Jerry's tone down to the finest points, but to achieve that, you have to get the proper components. It's anyone's guess as to what ol' Jer would be using these days.
playingdead

Postby joethepainter » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:31 pm

Thread delivers. 8)
joethepainter
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby Brandon Bowlds » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:53 am

gdeloian wrote:Quilter Micropro Mach II. Weighs nothing. Less than 7lbs. 1x12 JBL E 120 and a proper pedal board. Waldos buffer in the guitar. Bam. I load in to a gig with my gig bag on my back, my speaker in one hand and head and pedal board over my shoulder. Done.

This is my rig for most gigs these days. Mach II Head into a SSP 1x12 cab. using it for GD, for my funk band and also my chicken pickin honky tonk band. great rig.

I will say though, my modded 74 twin preamped out into a Quilter Tone Block 201 power amp is better a Jerry tone and just better tone overall. it's absolutely glorious. I've never played thru a Mac so that is my disclaimer.

my twin is in a head cab now so not that bad but still kinda heavy. For reliability the Mach II is tough to beat especially when I am playing little festivals in the middle of nowhere.
I gig a lot and I noticed the Twin in combo form was making my back sore. I'm 39 so I want to get out ahead of any back pain issues so I think the light weight rig is a really good thing. The Quilter stuff just sounds really good too.
Brandon Bowlds
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby mgbills » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:42 pm

I know this is just plain silliness...
...but don't you think, just for a moment...maybe on a sunny insightful day...somebody at Fender could've tried to put the PT in the middle of the chassis?

My Deluxe with a JBL ain't light. And...to my absolute delight hangs in my hand slightly to the PT side.

Maestro Twin head is actually better...although Mr. Waldo did put a PT in there that just might be a recycled Mopar engine from the '60's. Maybe from a 440 max wedge.

But is sure sounds righteous.

Peace
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby golfnutt » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:49 pm

Was just looking at one of these care to share how you set it up settings wise?
golfnutt
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby milobender » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:14 pm

golfnutt wrote:

The main ingredients are Select = Scoop, Voice = Brown, Bass = 1 +/-, Mid = 4 +/-, Treble 10 +/-

Gain and Boost set to taste depending on volume of playing and speakers. The Reverb controls, especially the tone, make quite a difference. I have the Hi Cut up a bit to tame the ice pick but that's to taste too. I believe gdeloian sets his reverb tone at 1 and has the Hi Cut at 1.
IO Custom Guitars
http://www.iocustomguitars.com
Luthier and Quilter Amplification Dealer
Everything we know is wrong...
milobender

Postby golfnutt » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:44 pm

milobender wrote:
golfnutt wrote:

The main ingredients are Select = Scoop, Voice = Brown, Bass = 1 +/-, Mid = 4 +/-, Treble 10 +/-

Gain and Boost set to taste depending on volume of playing and speakers. The Reverb controls, especially the tone, make quite a difference. I have the Hi Cut up a bit to tame the ice pick but that's to taste too. I believe gdeloian sets his reverb tone at 1 and has the Hi Cut at 1.

Thanks a lot for that....looks like a very interesting option :-)
golfnutt
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby gdrfk1990 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:56 am

The blues jr is only loud enough for practice in your house it won't cut it for a jerry tone. Your better off with a blues deluxe or a hot rod. I have one used it for years actually am getting ready to attempt the cap mods etc. love it. But it just doesn't cut it in band situations. I have always been happy with my fender deluxe reverb right out of the box I got many compliments on it over the years and my sweet jerry tone. I just put a jbl k120 in it a solid state rectifier and 6l6s it sounds sweet.
gdrfk1990
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby bzbz » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:59 am

Blues Junior only loud enough for practice in house???

I had the BillM mods done to mine, and often use with with an external JBL K120 - but even with the stock Jensen, it is loud enough in most band situations I've been in - we must have radically different Blues Juniors!
bzbz
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby gdrfk1990 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:35 am

Not to get a jerry tone... I can use it as a blues amp in just about any situation yes but to get the jerry tone this amp(Blues Jr.) only does that at low volumes. And I play with just about everybody in the NYC tri state area.When I switched from the Blues Jr to the Deluxe Reverb the feedback was instant substantial and very positive and that was right out of the box

Just about everyone who does what I do where I am uses a twin through at least 1x12 jbl I am trying to get away with the deluxe as I get many compliments on my tone and my volume. I am afraid the twin in this config has a cleanliness that just can't be mimicked by other amps
gdrfk1990
Terrapin
Terrapin

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone