Worst live Jerry tone you've heard

Re: Worst live Jerry tone you've heard

Postby Bigfoot Co. » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:07 pm

For me personally, I don't think the midi was too bad. It seems like it was inspiring to Jerry at the time, and he played some cool shit with it. I kind of enjoy those midi solos in Ramble on Rose , Mexicali, Bird Song, Let it Grow, Aiko / Women are Smarter, Eyes, Terrapin outros, Other One intros out of space, space itself. Possibly just a byproduct of when I started seeing the band (89).

On the other hand, Weir's midi can go to hell. especially that "horn section" nonsense.

If you guys really want to hear some questionable Jerry tone, I'll invite you to my next gig :lol:
Bigfoot Co.
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby Ebearius » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:57 pm

Capt Rosebuddy wrote:The 66-67 stuff I can't get into, sounds like their best attempt at sounding like Revolver. The band was just finding it's feet at that point so is what it is.

As far as the midi goes
"Someone plays guitar that sounds like a clarinet"
Garcia definitely listened to a ton of Coltrane, Davis and I think Benny Goodman. His phrasing and soloist choices clearly denote that. When the technology matured enough to synth horns it was too much to say no to (also those guys loved gadgets). So that's my excuse for the midi stuff. Too much? sometimes yea you bet, but overall I thought it was kind of cool effect and very much of it's time.

I'd also offer a little pushback on the post '93 on stuff too. That material that they where writing (The Garcia songs) was so well suited to that acoustic(ish) tone. Days Between comes to mind. It sounds so eerie and etherial to my ears with the Trio and Cripe guitar. My guess is that yes, Garcia was burnt out, and also the change in helm at the front of the house sbd I'm sure had something to do with it. Who did sound for JGB? I know Cutler produced that late 90's live JGB cd, but dunno if he was on the board on that fall '93 tour. Pugging directly into a tracking desk in the studio was a pretty well established practice that I'm sure Garcia was aware of also, might have gotten better, or might have been ditched who can say? In retrospect I think it was an experiment that was sadly cut short.

Not to be too pedantic, but the line is "Someone plays guitar that sounds like ClaVinet". Referring to his Mutron, not his horn-inspired phrasing. Just had to throw that out there.
Ebearius
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby hippieguy1954 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:14 am

There were stellar moments right up to the end. Was obviously a hard time for all. I don't think Jerry ever had a "worse" tone. Maybe not the most desirable tone, but "worst" just doesn't give him justice, in MHO.
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Previous

Return to Jerry Tone