E120s Incoming

E120s Incoming

Postby strangerones » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:44 am

Hi All,

Sort of impulsively, I ordered two JBL E120s through Hard Truckers with Tony Tubby hemp recones. Now I have to figure out what to do with them...

Initially I'll be putting them into an old 2x12 Tone Tubby cab I have. My concerns come from my understanding that these things are LOUD, and that you really have to drive them to get them to sound just exactly perfect.

First, do I have enough power to even push them properly? I'm running a Mesa Boogie 50/50. I usually just use one side of the amp. Is one side going to be enough to push both speakers? Should I only use one speaker per side?

Which leads me to my next thought: I've pondered going with a stereo setup as I have a couple of Strymon pedals (Big Sky and Timeline) that have some cool stereo capabilities. I think separating the speakers into their own 1x12 cabs to run in stereo might be fun. Anyone have any experience doing anything like this?

Volume is usually an issue both at practice and gigs, so I kind of suspect that I may be dealing with equipment that I may not be able to use in any practical sense.
strangerones
rukind?
rukind?

Re: E120s Incoming

Postby TI4-1009 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:06 am

I suspect you're correct.
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby GeneralGoldilocks » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:20 pm

I would run one side of the mesa poweramp to one jbl e 120 and then you would have a backup amp and speaker for every practice and gig. one side of that mesa 50/50 should push the e120 enough. I used my e120 with a 40 watt fender tube amp and it sounded great. not so great with a deluxe reverb, though.
like waves against the bandstand dancers broke
GeneralGoldilocks
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby ccw3432 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:24 pm

They take some pushing to get them to the sweet spot. I typically can't get them where they really open up at the volumes I play. At lower volumes, they sound good but they're real clean and can get a little bright and that's why a lot of folks are using an OD like the Earth Drive. I haven't heard them with tone tubby recones.

I've used Leslie and chorus pedals with two amps (each with E120 speakers) to get some stereo sounds. I like it but it adds to the complexity of the setup. I would like to experiment with some pedals that do more extreme stereo separation. I think I'm in the minority here, but feel that stereo is underused in live sound. I'm looking to do a lot with stereo separation in a project I'm putting together that's not GD based.
ccw3432
Skeleton
Skeleton

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:21 am

TI4-1009 wrote:I suspect you're correct.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

too loud too heavy
ccw3432 wrote: At lower volumes, they sound good but they're real clean and can get a little bright and that's why a lot of folks are using an OD like the Earth Drive.

Real clean and very bright

Do yourself a favor and use a 1 x 12

I use the 2 x 12 for out door stuff but mostly it sits in the attic
Tennessee Jedi

Postby Keith Z » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:50 am

I run one e -120 with a celestion 25 watt greenback in a 2x12 combo amp pushing about 40 watts and it sounds great!
Keith Z
welcome
welcome

Postby strangerones » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:27 am

Thanks all for the feedback.

It definitely sounds like 1x12 is the way to go.

Keith Z, mixing an e-120 with another speaker sounds like an interesting idea. Currently in the cab I have are two TT alnico red speakers. I'll mess with running one of the JBL's with the TT and see what happens.

Anyone know how an Earth Drive compares to an Analogue Man King of Tone? I'm currently using the KoT for OD and really like how responsive and natural sounding it is. Would the ED bring something else to the table in terms of mitigating the brightness of the e-120s at lower volumes?
strangerones
rukind?
rukind?

Postby ccw3432 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:45 am

I'm not sure how it compares to the KOT. The ED will give you some grit but you'll still have a bright sound if that's what you're starting with. I would try the KOT and see how it works for you. The Mesa amp will play a factor too so you'll probably need to experiment a bit and see what you like. If you're going for dead on Jerry tone you may need to get a Fender Twin style preamp, however Jerry did use some Mesa stuff for a short time with GREAT results! I'd try to dial in what you have for and see how it works.
ccw3432
Skeleton
Skeleton

Postby strangerones » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:18 am

My current pre is an Alembic F-2B, so the chain will be F-2B>Mesa 50/50>e120.

I'm intrigued by the Sarno preamps, and may take the plunge on one at some point, but it will probably be a year or more before I get there.

The KoT can definitely add some grit, and being that it's essentially two pedals in one it could conceivably be set up so that I have an always-on side with just a bit of grit, and then a side with the OD kicked up a bit more for when necessary.
strangerones
rukind?
rukind?

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:03 pm

strangerones wrote:
I'm intrigued by the Sarno preamps, and may take the plunge on one at some point, but it will probably be a year or more before I get there.

Honestly I couldnt live without it
Its a few pounds lighter than a Twin thats for sure
:smile:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby Searing75 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:26 pm

SMS Preamp, McIntosh MC 50, JBL K120. Put an Earth Drive in front of the pre for a touch of grit, and you have THE tone!
All's well that sounds well.
Searing75

Return to Jerry Tone