Dead Again's Brian Avigne with his Maestro Reverb Amp

Re: Dead Again's Brian Avigne with his Maestro Reverb Amp

Postby waldo041 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:31 am

strumminsix wrote:Great tones! bravo to you Mike and the band!!

Thanks, as you know, it took many years to get to this point.

~waldo
Last edited by waldo041 on Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer: I make and sell Buffers. I also sometimes Modify, Build and sell preamps and amplifiers. My opinions are not intended to be sales pitches. I am a one man shop and prefer to spend time with my wife and family, i work full time on call and love to spend my spare time doing other things. I only make, modify or build things for those that seek them.
waldo041

Re: Dead Ahead's Brian Avigne with his Maestro Reverb Amp

Postby strumminsix » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:14 am

waldo041 wrote:
strumminsix wrote:Great tones! bravo to you Mike and the band!!

Thanks, as you know, it took many years to get to this point.

~waldo

yes i do, brother! and it's been a great pleasure watching your many years of hard work evolve into a small custom shop!

PS - I'm PM'ing you :)
strumminsix

Postby softmachine72 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:47 pm

I Love mine. I do not have a full chassis (preamp only no Vibe) but, really has "it" no muss ,no fuss. Great Clip.
softmachine72
Skeleton
Skeleton

Postby softmachine72 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:47 pm

I Love mine. I do not have a full chassis (preamp only no Vibe) but, really has "it" no muss ,no fuss. Great Clip.
softmachine72
Skeleton
Skeleton

Postby FrettyBoy » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:52 pm

Sounds great.

Really nice to hear the vocals sung expressively, and on pitch, by all concerned.
FrettyBoy
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby mgbills » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:09 pm

Spendid! Really pleasing all the way around.

I didn't see an Mc in the videos. Admittedly I'm squandering time at work. Straight Maestro (which I also love) or pre-amped?

Who built the Wolf?

Great job Waldo! Awesome Band Brian!
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby TeeJay » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:14 pm

I didn't see an Mc in the videos. Admittedly I'm squandering time at work. Straight Maestro (which I also love) or pre-amped?

I think in this clip it is just the Maestro power section. The wolf is a Chris Michas with the new TPC-2 adjustable gain preamp.
TeeJay
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby waldo041 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:20 pm

Both you guys know how good the power section is of the Maestro Reverb Amp. Most everyone that have played one first fall in love with the combo. Brian only has an MC2300 and his stage footprint and wattage needs made his decision not to use it. He loves the tone of the combo so much that he is actually considered selling the mac!

~waldo
Disclaimer: I make and sell Buffers. I also sometimes Modify, Build and sell preamps and amplifiers. My opinions are not intended to be sales pitches. I am a one man shop and prefer to spend time with my wife and family, i work full time on call and love to spend my spare time doing other things. I only make, modify or build things for those that seek them.
waldo041

Postby TeeJay » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:49 pm

Both you guys know how good the power section is of the Maestro Reverb Amp. Most everyone that have played one first fall in love with the combo.

Absolutely correct! I am in love, and I prefer the Maestro power over my MC50. I was scared to say that for fear of persecution, but the Maestro combo seems more alive. More connected, or quicker (that doesn't really make sense?) I don't have the experience to verbalize it, but it feels right.
TeeJay
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby jackevorkian » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:15 pm

Do you only make these on a Twin platform, or could you build one from a Super Reverb or Pro Reverb?
jackevorkian
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby mgbills » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:22 pm

I'd say dimensional, but differently dimensional than the Mc.

6L6's (to my ear) driven to this degree have a bloom which has all the harmonic range of the clean signal, but with a gurgly element that I find fascinating. This is much more evident in lower Hz ranges. The Mc drives the bloom in a more linear manner, and can represent similarly but with a different presence. I prefer the Mc when the playing gets louder. It's more deliberate or intentional. If you're lucky enough to play in big venues or outdoors and can get that JBL break...the Mc is the ticket. I saw DSO two weeks ago, and Jeff sounded awesome with the SMS/Mc2300 setup. Dude was on fire, and his rig was wonderful. But it was loud. He's got some good stuff going on there. Made me lusty for a 2300. I missed one at $1100 2 years ago.

I play the Deluxe combo fairly often. Nice at lower volumes. Creamy when driven. Completely different gizmo, those 6v6's.

All of that said...the whole animal is different coming from the Maestro. I had a buddy, who's a former touring musician, over a couple weeks back. I was showing him my rig and he tore it up for a bit. Then I brought the vibrato back on, flipped the bright switch up, and put the first gain stage tube back in. His comment was "Ahhh. That's the Twin I know." That gain through the Maestro is unlike anything I've played.
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby TeeJay » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:59 pm

6L6's (to my ear) driven to this degree have a bloom which has all the harmonic range of the clean signal, but with a gurgly element that I find fascinating.

Well said.
TeeJay
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby waldo041 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:15 pm

jackevorkian wrote:Do you only make these on a Twin platform, or could you build one from a Super Reverb or Pro Reverb?

I guess i could, but i am going to make either one closer to the twin platform and that will come at a cost. Starting with a Twin is costly enough, starting from scratch is even more. I would put messing with a Super or Pro Reverb somewhere in the middle. That said, i don't think i will continue to operate taking players amps in. I cannot guarantee how long i will have it, it would never take a year or 2 or 3 like another builder is known to take, but i just don't feel comfortable having that pressure inserted into my life. I think i am only going to find my own chassis candidates and invest in the parts and work up front myself and then sell it once it is completed. I feel more comfortable working like that and i can work on the amps when i have the time and release the pressure of having to get someones amp out as soon as i can.

~waldo
Last edited by waldo041 on Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
waldo041

Postby waldo041 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:15 pm

TeeJay wrote:
6L6's (to my ear) driven to this degree have a bloom which has all the harmonic range of the clean signal, but with a gurgly element that I find fascinating.

Well said.

+1

~waldo
waldo041

Postby hippieguy1954 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:56 am

waldo041 wrote:Both you guys know how good the power section is of the Maestro Reverb Amp. Most everyone that have played one first fall in love with the combo. Brian only has an MC2300 and his stage footprint and wattage needs made his decision not to use it. He loves the tone of the combo so much that he is actually considered selling the mac!

~waldo

How much for the MC2300?

Where is Brian's volume set on the Maestro Reverb amp when using just the combo?
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone