Anyone ever swap the ceramic super 2 magnet with an alnico 5

Anyone ever swap the ceramic super 2 magnet with an alnico 5

Postby bdhact1 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:54 pm

I have an extra Super 2 lying around and thought I'd re-purpose it as a standard humbucker bridge pup. The winding isn't really super hot, So I thought swapping the magnet with an Alnico 5 would work well in the bridge of an all maple guitar HSH.

Anyone ever try magnet swaps in one?
bdhact1
Terrapin
Terrapin

Re: Anyone ever swap the ceramic super 2 magnet with an alni

Postby Searing75 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:17 pm

No, but I have been using the Dimarzio Gravity Storm with alnico magnet in my bridge position in my Phiga Bolt, and it sounds killer!
All's well that sounds well.
Searing75

Postby bdhact1 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:13 pm

I always wondered why Jerry never called on Dimarzio's or Duncan's custom shop to build a pickup according to his specifications. Seems like he wasted a few years trying every off the shelf pickup they had; but then settled for the Super 2.
bdhact1
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby kurt eye » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:14 am

It would be really cool to A/B test ceramic vs alnico in the same pick up.
Shall we go, you and I while we can? Through the transitive night fall of diamonds...
kurt eye
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby waldo041 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:37 am

bdhact1 wrote:I always wondered why Jerry never called on Dimarzio's or Duncan's custom shop to build a pickup according to his specifications. Seems like he wasted a few years trying every off the shelf pickup they had; but then settled for the Super 2.

I don't think he "settled" on the Super 2. He had more options than most and had a good idea by that time what he was after. He did not have the issues most have with the Neck or Bridge pickups.

~waldo
Disclaimer: I make and sell Buffers. I also sometimes Modify, Build and sell preamps and amplifiers. My opinions are not intended to be sales pitches. I am a one man shop and prefer to spend time with my wife and family, i work full time on call and love to spend my spare time doing other things. I only make, modify or build things for those that seek them.
waldo041

Postby bdhact1 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:30 am

waldo041 wrote:
bdhact1 wrote:I always wondered why Jerry never called on Dimarzio's or Duncan's custom shop to build a pickup according to his specifications. Seems like he wasted a few years trying every off the shelf pickup they had; but then settled for the Super 2.

I don't think he "settled" on the Super 2. He had more options than most and had a good idea by that time what he was after. He did not have the issues most have with the Neck or Bridge pickups.

~waldo

Thanks for Clarifying Waldo. It was always a curiosity to me.

Perhaps, one day Dimarzio will offer a Jerry Garcia Signature Super 2; I'm surprised they haven't yet.
bdhact1
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby bdhact1 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:38 am

kurt eye wrote:It would be really cool to A/B test ceramic vs alnico in the same pick up.

I plan on trying it soon. I have A2, A3, A4, A5, uoA5, and A8 magnets on hand to test.
I was hoping someone here had already tried it.

I think the Super 2 already has a C7. It doesn't sound hot enough to be a C8.
bdhact1
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:32 am

kurt eye wrote:It would be really cool to A/B test ceramic vs alnico in the same pick up.

If basses count, this is pretty easy with EMG's current offerings as they make about every magnet combination around and with solderless connections, so I've been able to swap various types of pickup into the same few basses. The results are what you'd expect, the Ceramics are a little bolder and edgier, Alnico is warmer and sounds way more like the traditional Fender tone.
Rusty the Scoob

Postby tatittle » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:20 pm

I would be very interested in hearing the results. I have issues with the ceramic pups in general (prefering alnico), but I will say that installing Wald's buffer has made a huge improvement there. They have that hi-fi tone with bite on tap now.
I wouldm imagine the result would be fairly close to the regular Super Distortion, isnt it alnico? I am yet to try one of thos in the middle slot but I foresee liking it alot per Garcia's experience with them in the 70's.
tatittle

Location: Johns Island, SC via NJ; Bklyn; Detroit; Charleston; Boulder; Miami; D.C.; etc

Postby bdhact1 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:55 am

tatittle wrote:I would be very interested in hearing the results. I have issues with the ceramic pups in general (prefering alnico), but I will say that installing Wald's buffer has made a huge improvement there. They have that hi-fi tone with bite on tap now.
I wouldm imagine the result would be fairly close to the regular Super Distortion, isnt it alnico? I am yet to try one of thos in the middle slot but I foresee liking it alot per Garcia's experience with them in the 70's.

I've found that the buffer equalizes the pickup output volumes. I use regular PAFs in the bridge and neck, but the super 2 is in the middle. When I bypass the buffer the bridge volume drops and the super 2 is louder than the neck. The buffer, when online makes the volumes all equal.

I dislike ceramic magnet pickups as well; And i feel it's better to re-purpose the super 2s with different magnets then to just have them sitting in a drawer; Not to mention, spending 80 bucks a pop on new pickups.

I'll try the A2 in a neck position first, then try A5 in the bridge position.
bdhact1
Terrapin
Terrapin

Return to Jerry Tone