Wolf is back on the market

Re: Wolf is back on the market

Postby Searing75 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:53 pm

Obviously it's peak time to sell in the current owners eyes. The popularity is at a peak with the 50th, and Dead and Co. currently at it. In another 2-3 years, The Grateful Dead will not be as valuable. Or, so they believe. It's an investment man for these people mostly. Time to sell.

I like he idea of everyone here buying it! :peas:
All's well that sounds well.
Searing75

Postby Arafel » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:53 am

Searing75 wrote:Obviously it's peak time to sell in the current owners eyes. The popularity is at a peak with the 50th, and Dead and Co. currently at it. In another 2-3 years, The Grateful Dead will not be as valuable. Or, so they believe. It's an investment man for these people mostly. Time to sell.

I do just want to point out that the current owner is a long-time Dead fan, Dan Pritzker, and is the guitarist for Sonia Dada. His family owns the Hyatt chain and the Royal Caribbean cruise line and is one of the richest families in the country, and Pritzker himself is listed by Forbes as one of the 400 richest Americans, ranking 293. The family's Pritzker Foundation does a lot of philanthropy, including establishing scholarships to Tufts, Dan's alma mater, for underprivileged minority students.

Pritzker loved Garica and the Dead, and I think he just bought the guitar to have it, not as an investment. He has also been very generous in letting it be played.
Arafel
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby tcsned » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:58 am

Arafel wrote:
Searing75 wrote:Obviously it's peak time to sell in the current owners eyes. The popularity is at a peak with the 50th, and Dead and Co. currently at it. In another 2-3 years, The Grateful Dead will not be as valuable. Or, so they believe. It's an investment man for these people mostly. Time to sell.

I do just want to point out that the current owner is a long-time Dead fan, Dan Pritzker, and is the guitarist for Sonia Dada. His family owns the Hyatt chain and the Royal Caribbean cruise line and is one of the richest families in the country, and Pritzker himself is listed by Forbes as one of the 400 richest Americans, ranking 293. The family's Pritzker Foundation does a lot of philanthropy, including establishing scholarships to Tufts, Dan's alma mater, for underprivileged minority students.

Pritzker loved Garica and the Dead, and I think he just bought the guitar to have it, not as an investment. He has also been very generous in letting it be played.

. . . and is giving the proceeds to the Southern Poverty Law Center
tcsned

Postby old man down » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:30 pm

I've always wondered how this guitar could fall 15 feet off a stage onto cement and exhibit no apparent damage.
old man down
Skeleton
Skeleton

Postby TI4-1009 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:54 pm

old man down wrote:I've always wondered how this guitar could fall 15 feet off a stage onto cement and exhibit no apparent damage.

It didn't break the first time, but that must have "softened it up" for the damage it took the second time it fell.

From an Irwin interview:

"The peghead of the Wolf is overlaid on both sides with several 1 /'28 thick sheets of maple and purpleheart with each piece turned 180 degrees, thus alternating the direction of grain. The peghead is attached to the neck on the back with a "tongue" of this overlay that runs past the first fret; a feature which is not only visually striking, but also adds tremendous strength at a traditionally weak area.

A few years after I delivered Wolf to Jerry, the guitar took several tumbles during Grateful Dead's European tour. The first, a fall of about fifteen feet off the stage onto cement, had no effect on the guitar at all, but the second incident caused a crack to appear in the peghead. When Jerry finally brought me the Wolf for repair, the crack was actually very minor, but a stitch in time, saves nine. Repairing the crack wasn't much of a problem, but having the guitar again made me reassess my early inlay work, and prompted me to reface the peghead with ebony and replace what I determined to be a poor excuse for a peacock with my signature eagle inlay cut from mother-of-pearl."

http://www.dozin.com/jers/guitars/wolf/wolf.htm
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby TI4-1009 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:18 pm

Fun Wolf story:

If you look closely at the headstock there are two small holes between the nut and the low E tuner. I always wondered if they had anything to do with the headstock repair, but they seemed pretty crude for Irwin's work.

While at the Tiger seminar at Tom Lieber's a few years ago he told the story about them. One time when Wolf came back to Irwin for some work Doug was not too happy with how Jerry used to stick his lit cigarette between the headstock and the strings- sometimes letting it burn all the way down and charring the finish. He installed a small cigarette holder there so Jer could stick it in the holder and not damage the finish (hence the two holes). Apparently Jerry was not overly impressed because the next time Irwin saw the guitar the holder was gone and Jerry never mentioned it.

"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:06 am

That is a cool story! And that peghead is remarkably scratched up too. I wonder how many sets of strings it went through? Hundreds at least, I imagine.
Rusty the Scoob

Postby CountryMile Cadillac » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:21 pm

that is a fun story! Anyone seen a picture of it with the cig holder?
"Think I'll come back here again,
Every now and then from time to time"

http://www.reverbnation.com/houndsandrabbits
CountryMile Cadillac

Postby CountryMile Cadillac » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:21 pm

that is a fun story! Anyone seen a picture of it with the cig holder?
"Think I'll come back here again,
Every now and then from time to time"

http://www.reverbnation.com/houndsandrabbits
CountryMile Cadillac

Previous

Return to Jerry Tone