Carvin DCM200L issues

Carvin DCM200L issues

Postby Jrostrom » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:44 pm

Hi all -- I have a SMS Pre into a Mesa 50/50 (racked separately in a 2u for ease of carrying) as my main rig and it is awesome -- I also have the DCM200L as a back up in the 4u rack with the SMS and use it for smaller, quick gigs -- and rehearsals -- however the noise in it can be brutal -- I am really struggling with it sometimes -- likely depends on the location -- I am guessing interference with the type of amp it is and why it is so super light -- can anyone give me advice on stopping this? The venue is the venue so I can't change that part of the equation -- it does go thru a standard ART power supply in the rack. I also have no issues when using the 50/50 in the same exact set up.

Thx

Jon
Jrostrom
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound

Re: Carvin DCM200L issues

Postby Searing75 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:35 pm

Are you using the same cables with each set up? All of the same cables, including all interconnects?
All's well that sounds well.
Searing75

Postby Jrostrom » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:50 pm

Hi - yes -- everything is identical. These are Class D from my understanding and I think those types are much more sensitive to interference but that's why I am inquiring to the experts to see if anyone has run into the same issue.

Thx all -- let me know if you have any thoughts.

JonO
Jrostrom
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound

Postby tatittle » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:14 pm

Sorry i cant really give any definite solutions, but I do have a Carvin DCM and I recall having interference issues once (I never bring it to play out anywhere).
I believe it was in a basement that otherwise was pretty clean of interference (cant remember clearly though). I do know that I used it in said basement for several months afterwards w/o issue. I want to say I switched the power cable...that I originally tried to use a non-original power cord, and when I switched back to original it was okay. But that is likely faulty memory as there would be no obvious reason that would help much. The other thing I would do intuitively is switch the AC outlet/power source. It could be caused by another component on the same outlet.
tatittle

Location: Johns Island, SC via NJ; Bklyn; Detroit; Charleston; Boulder; Miami; D.C.; etc

Postby Jrostrom » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:19 pm

How about any issues out there with Class D Amps and interference? Any thoughts?

Thx everyone!

Jon
Jrostrom
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound

Postby Searing75 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:16 pm

I used a dcm200l before I got my McIntosh, and I never had issues with noise.
All's well that sounds well.
Searing75

Postby waldo041 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:59 pm

Not entirely sure, but, I don't believe this belongs in the "Jerry Tone" discussion.

~waldo
Disclaimer: I make and sell Buffers. I also sometimes Modify, Build and sell preamps and amplifiers. My opinions are not intended to be sales pitches. I am a one man shop and prefer to spend time with my wife and family, i work full time on call and love to spend my spare time doing other things. I only make, modify or build things for those that seek them.
waldo041

Postby Jrostrom » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:52 pm

That's fine -- I am happy to move it -- just looking for help - many folks use this amp for there set ups so I thought this was correct. Feel free to guide me in where and how to move it.

Thx

Jon
Jrostrom
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound

Postby joethepainter » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:08 am

Do you use wireless, or IEM's? Class D amps can be susceptible to EMI and RF interference...
here's something I found...
http://electronicdesign.com/analog/reduce-emi-your-class-d-amplifiers
joethepainter
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby Jrostrom » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:50 am

I don't -- and exactly to your point, the first step I have taken is by buying a "Classic" series Furman (arrived yesterday) -- I had an old ART power conditioner in there before -- maybe this will make a difference -- I have also engaged with Carvin but haven't been very helpful yet.

Thx all

Jon
Jrostrom
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound

Postby johngtr67 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:28 am

Keep your iPhone away! It's almost always the culprit.
John
johngtr67
tiger
tiger

Return to Jerry Tone