It FITS! DCR w/ Wald buffer?

It FITS! DCR w/ Wald buffer?

Postby tatittle » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:27 pm

:-) :-) :-)

Well I am certain I am not the first one to fit the Jerry Tiger wiring (as uncovered by Waldo) into a standard route Fender Stratocaster, but boy am I pleased I finally finished the full measure and squeezed it into my Strat 8) [w/ swimming pool route; but I didnt use the pool so single coil route is possible too]. So anyone wondering if its possible without extra routing it definitely is, at least with Wald's small size TPC buffer. I only had to drill 4-6 holes to accomodate the long humbucker mounting screws. Actually I have quite a bit of extra wire length I had to stuff in there or there woulda been more room. I only used 1 push/pull which I wired to split both Super2's (wired so pull up position is humbuckers since I plan on using SC more often), I dont think another push/pull would have left enough room to stuff the 9V and buffer in the control cavity. I actually still have to put the neck back on the guitar and string it up before I can actually play it, all looks well though.....but....

I was suprised to find the DCR at output jack is identical no matter which pickup combination I select (about 7.10 ohms). I am guessing this is due to the Wald buffer installed, but could someone confirm this is normal/ok?

I have 2x Super2's and an SDS-1 in the neck. I chose a smaller tone cap for the neck bc I found the SDS-1 in regular neck position of Strat (further back than on Tiger) to be too dark in an earlier incarnation (500k pot and .2 cap). I used a 680p only bc that is all I had laying around, probably end up switching that out for a larger cap eventually (.01uF on the way; 250k AB type J pot there now).

So here's to some of the best folks you will ever meet, the wise men of rukind, spreading joy and good tone to venues and basements near you. :cool:
tatittle

Location: Johns Island, SC via NJ; Bklyn; Detroit; Charleston; Boulder; Miami; D.C.; etc

Re: It FITS! DCR w/ Wald buffer?

Postby waldo041 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:44 pm

tatittle wrote:I was suprised to find the DCR at output jack is identical no matter which pickup combination I select (about 7.10 ohms). I am guessing this is due to the Wald buffer installed, but could someone confirm this is normal/ok?

I am guessing it is actually around 7.10 KiloOhms which is about the value with the buffers output 10k and the 25k volume pot in parallel.
The pickups are fed into the Buffer, so you will not see their DCR like a passive guitars wiring where the pickups are in parallel with the volume pot.

~waldo
Disclaimer: I make and sell Buffers. I also sometimes Modify, Build and sell preamps and amplifiers. My opinions are not intended to be sales pitches. I am a one man shop and prefer to spend time with my wife and family, i work full time on call and love to spend my spare time doing other things. I only make, modify or build things for those that seek them.
waldo041

Re: It FITS! DCR w/ Wald buffer?

Postby tatittle » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:32 am

Much obliged Mike. Indeed 25k volume pot, and the lack of "k" was a typo.
Cleared up an intermittent short on the split and put some tape on the base of the SDS-1 for same reason; its restrung and all together now...sounds ALOT better with the buffer :-)
Highly recommended to anyone looking for a sure-thing improvement. And they fit in standard strats with a bit of spacial reasoning.

Havent been able to crank it up good yet (damn condo) but psyched to do that this Tues. I wired the Super 2's so they hum cancel in position 2: North coil Bridge pup and South coil middle pup on when split; from what Ive learned here seems the South coil on the middle pup with standard strat H-H pickguard is closer to Garcia's actual pup position too). I was big on hum-cancel parallel combos when I first started playing Strats but now that mine are all well shielded I wonder if not using RWRP would give a better Jerry tone? Its still awful nice on those rare occassions I end up playing underneath flourescent lights or exposed building wiring though. Turns out the split-coil choice left me with no humcancel with the SDS-1 in position 4; but as I just alluded to I may prefer it.
tatittle

Location: Johns Island, SC via NJ; Bklyn; Detroit; Charleston; Boulder; Miami; D.C.; etc

Return to Jerry Tone