Mini grab n' gos for Jerry tone?

Mini grab n' gos for Jerry tone?

Postby pickngrin » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:08 pm

I know these are just out of the gate over at NAMM but they looked like they might have some potential for a mini-Jerry rig. Thoughts? Worth a try or just one more attempt to reinvent the wheel?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp_Xg9ToHC8 (the "clean" version looked like it would be the most "Jer" like.

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/2 ... roblock-45
pickngrin
Rosebud
Rosebud

Re: Mini grab n' gos for Jerry tone?

Postby Darkstar860 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:32 pm

pickngrin wrote:I know these are just out of the gate over at NAMM but they looked like they might have some potential for a mini-Jerry rig. Thoughts? Worth a try or just one more attempt to reinvent the wheel?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp_Xg9ToHC8 (the "clean" version looked like it would be the most "Jer" like.

Interesting amps. Just wish Vox would add a mid knob in the EQ. I always loved my modded out AC 15 for Bobby tone but it didnt have that Jerry tone by any means. There are a lot of small amps out there that have been coming out. Seemed like Crate was the first with the micro head back a few years back, after seeing a picture of the amp I instantly knew there would be a future with amps of smaller size like the amp you are showing us here. Id be willing to try the clean one out (if it had a mid knob id be game to buy it). Im a Twin fan myself and I find it hard to replicate that tone (at all) with these smaller amps. There isnt the push in tone to my ears, but hey until ya try it how can ya judge it ?

I'd love to see Fender test the waters with one of these small amps. Imagine a blues jr head, but with a ton of headroom! Thats what im waiting for ;-)

Thanks for sharing
"Bound to cover just a lil more ground"
Darkstar860
bruce
bruce

Postby ac4468 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:56 pm

If you want small check out the new Quilter Microblock. 45 watts in a single pedal format.
ac4468
Brent
Brent

Postby pickngrin » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:32 pm

Darkstar860 wrote:
pickngrin wrote:I know these are just out of the gate over at NAMM but they looked like they might have some potential for a mini-Jerry rig. Thoughts? Worth a try or just one more attempt to reinvent the wheel?

Interesting amps. Just wish Vox would add a mid knob in the EQ. I always loved my modded out AC 15 for Bobby tone but it didnt have that Jerry tone by any means. There are a lot of small amps out there that have been coming out. Seemed like Crate was the first with the micro head back a few years back, after seeing a picture of the amp I instantly knew there would be a future with amps of smaller size like the amp you are showing us here. Id be willing to try the clean one out (if it had a mid knob id be game to buy it). Im a Twin fan myself and I find it hard to replicate that tone (at all) with these smaller amps. There isnt the push in tone to my ears, but hey until ya try it how can ya judge it ?

I'd love to see Fender test the waters with one of these small amps. Imagine a blues jr head, but with a ton of headroom! Thats what im waiting for ;-)

Thanks for sharing

Hi Darkstar860,

I'm with you--a little Blues Jr. head with with plenty of headroom would be sweet!

I wonder if Vox is onto something with their approach to class D power and whatever they have going with the preamp and whatever they have done with tube in there. Again, like you, we need to road-test this to know. I did like the fact that they went after the "clean" tone for one out of the three when so much of the small amp world is geared toward early break-up, etc.

Cheers!
pickngrin
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby pickngrin » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:37 pm

ac4468 wrote:If you want small check out the new Quilter Microblock. 45 watts in a single pedal format.

HI ac4468,

My second link to Premier Guitar is to the Quilter pedal--couldn't find a video. I've played a few Quilter amps and liked the squeaky clean power and that pedal could be the answer to at least a credible backup amp in the gig bag. Any experience with their bigger Tone Block? I wonder how similar the 45 is to that?

:-)
pickngrin
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby PurpleTrails » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:25 pm

Frankly, I didn't think any of those sounded too much like Jerry tone to me. They all sounded pretty good, but weren't particularly in the same ballpark.

I also worry a bit about these Vox amps having a proprietary tube. They say it is longer lasting than normal tubes, but does that mean that 5 or 10 years down the road my amp is no longer operational? I've heard clips somewhere of another smallish amp using similarly sized tubes, and had the same reaction.

Someone on here uses a larger quilter amp that produces some pretty good Jerry tone, and I wonder if one of their smallest amps would work, though they do lack somewhat for tone controls.
PurpleTrails
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby ac4468 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:13 pm

I haven't had experience with the tone block but I have a Micropro Mach II head that I love. At $150 it's a steal. Maybe on a pedalboard with an eq pedal it would a cool little setup.
ac4468
Brent
Brent

Postby PurpleTrails » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:48 pm

How the heck did you get a micropro mach 2 for $150? I've only seen them new for $699, and sometimes more than that.
PurpleTrails
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby ac4468 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:45 am

Sorry that was confusing! The Micropro was $699. I meant to say that at $150 the Microblock is worth a shot.
ac4468
Brent
Brent

Postby PurpleTrails » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:14 am

Okay, that makes sense!

FWIW, I've been thinking of picking up one of the micropro mach 2 amps to help solve portability and small room issues, but have also been thinking about either getting a blues jr. tweed and just going for a one-box solution.
PurpleTrails
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby pickngrin » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:34 am

PurpleTrails wrote:Okay, that makes sense!

FWIW, I've been thinking of picking up one of the micropro mach 2 amps to help solve portability and small room issues, but have also been thinking about either getting a blues jr. tweed and just going for a one-box solution.

I'm going to put a Weber Cali/w the aluminum dust cap in my Blues Jr. III to see if it can get over the headroom issue I have with this little guy. I figure if it doesn't work the way I hope, I can build a cab for the speaker and keep experimenting.
pickngrin
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby strumminsix » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:00 am

pickngrin wrote:

I'm going to put a Weber Cali/w the aluminum dust cap in my Blues Jr. III to see if it can get over the headroom issue I have with this little guy. I figure if it doesn't work the way I hope, I can build a cab for the speaker and keep experimenting.

Not being a jerk but IMO don't waste your time. Adding that speaker to a Deluxe Reverb RI will get you SO MUCH CLOSER!
strumminsix

Postby pickngrin » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:33 am

strumminsix wrote:
pickngrin wrote:

Not being a jerk but IMO don't waste your time. Adding that speaker to a Deluxe Reverb RI will get you SO MUCH CLOSER!

No offense taken at all! My experiment with the speaker swap is just that--an experiment. I already own the Blues Jr. and for about $114 for the new speaker, I figured it was worth a try. I'll report back when I've made the swap.

Cheers! :-) :smile:
pickngrin
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby ac4468 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:02 pm

I have a BJ tweed and while it really is convenient it just doesn't cut it in the stock config. That said I bring it to practice more often than not out of ease. The Mach 2 is light and I've toyed with the idea of building it into a 1x12 combo just to make it easier to transport. If you add a 20+lb speaker to it you still end up with something not too much bigger than a Blues Jr. that sounds MUCH better.
ac4468
Brent
Brent

Postby PurpleTrails » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:24 pm

Thanks for the comparison from one who owns both!
PurpleTrails
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Next

Return to Jerry Tone