Example of JG Grit

Re: Example of JG Grit

Postby PurpleTrails » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:32 pm

waldo041 wrote:Another good example throughout this show, albeit with a backup rig. One guitar cable, no effects at all. I always wondered if he was so loud, how can he stand right in front of those speakers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeFwJIuYOyk

~waldo

It also makes a big difference if you're in someplace relatively small and enclosed, like a club or bar, vs. being outside. It's surprised me sometimes that my twin can produce ear-bleeding SPLs inside, but outside without the walls to reflect sound it can seem more like the levels with a deluxe or blues jr inside.
PurpleTrails
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby zambiland » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:10 pm

waldo041 wrote:Another good example throughout this show, albeit with a backup rig. One guitar cable, no effects at all. I always wondered if he was so loud, how can he stand right in front of those speakers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeFwJIuYOyk

~waldo

Deaf and drugs. Phil said that his hearing was his gift to Jerry. It's not hard to see why.
zambiland

Postby chipperj » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:41 pm

The Earth Drive helps get there but not quite that same thing he was getting in the mid-80s. That was the period I went to most of the shows I saw (82-87) so it is the tone that I love most.

I was just going to say that for me the Earth Drive's sole purpose is to inject some of that hair at lower volumes (My band mates would prob dispute my use of the word "lower"). I have mine set at 9:30 and 2:30. It's on 100% of the time.
chipperj
Brent
Brent

Postby lovetoboogie » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:57 am

For arguements sake, without being argumentative ;)

How do you explain this;

Borrowed Yamaha guitar, no effects, no MAC, Fender Twin(potentially 135w ultarlinear)...

Same snap and pop on the cleans and mildly gritty dirt and sustain on the leads...

"It all rolls into one..."
lovetoboogie
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby waldo041 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:55 am

lovetoboogie wrote:For arguements sake, without being argumentative ;)

How do you explain this;

Borrowed Yamaha guitar, no effects, no MAC, Fender Twin(potentially 135w ultarlinear)...

Same snap and pop on the cleans and mildly gritty dirt and sustain on the leads...

Old argument, some don't hear the difference between this borrowed and his regular equipment. Most only hear his technique and not his tone.

~waldo
Disclaimer: I make and sell Buffers. I also sometimes Modify, Build and sell preamps and amplifiers. My opinions are not intended to be sales pitches. I am a one man shop and prefer to spend time with my wife and family, i work full time on call and love to spend my spare time doing other things. I only make, modify or build things for those that seek them.
waldo041

Postby lovetoboogie » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:25 am

waldo041 wrote:
lovetoboogie wrote:For arguements sake, without being argumentative ;)

How do you explain this;

Old argument, some don't hear the difference between this borrowed and his regular equipment. Most only hear his technique and not his tone.

~waldo

I totally agree...and I love that particular Eyes clip...I hear that clarity vesus a the "low-fi" tone achieved in the Amsterdam 81' gig... I guess I just meant to illustrate there is a magical 'x' factor that only Jerry could achive on any rig that transcends the "right Jerry rig" vs. the "wrong Jerry rig". I don't know what it is. It is purely conversational in regards to this thread...
"It all rolls into one..."
lovetoboogie
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby shadowboxer » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:18 pm

It is the old argument here, and I don't want to offend by downplaying the importance of the old traditional "tone" recipe. But I will say that the Weir gear (Tele and a Peavey amp) at the Melkweg sounded about 10 times better than the Weir gear in Waldo's comparison video.
shadowboxer
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby hippieguy1954 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:08 pm

Yep, mostly the same except for the tone to my ears.
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby GeneralGoldilocks » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:23 am

I agree about the bobby tone, the tele sounded great.... not to dis bobby, he is a musical genius and an idol of mine, but he can evoke some terrible tone from his effects and gear, especially post jerry. i think jerry's rig at melkweg is quite inferior to tiger, twin, mac recipe of that era, though. You can hear the difference, i don't think i'ld dig one of those yamaha guitar's, although they do have a certain 70's 80's japan vibe. Jerry made it sound good because he is a great player. I bet it would sound like dogshit if I played it!

a final note on this: i'm in a GD cover band now in a remote area and we are no DSO, so sometimes I have to play Jerry parts and then Bobby parts, in the same tune. I have been thinking the Tele might be the way to go because, imo, the neck pickup on the Tele is so great for Bobby stuff, even though he never really used a tele with the GD for any significant timeframe if at all.... As for the bridge, while not traditional Jerry tone, can do some great interpretations of Garcia tone. Too bad my Tele is nowhere near as nice as my other jerry style guitars......
like waves against the bandstand dancers broke
GeneralGoldilocks
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby MattMan » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:10 pm

I totally know what you're talking about. I like to use Position 2 for that purpose (Bridge pickup and middle pickup together) when I add some more chordal jams along with the rhythm player in my band--that position gives some nice Bobby color I think.
MattMan
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby Searing75 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:42 pm

MattMan wrote:I totally know what you're talking about. I like to use Position 2 for that purpose (Bridge pickup and middle pickup together) when I add some more chordal jams along with the rhythm player in my band--that position gives some nice Bobby color I think.

It's that out of phase tone.
All's well that sounds well.
Searing75

Postby shadowboxer » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:56 am

Searing75 wrote:
MattMan wrote:I totally know what you're talking about. I like to use Position 2 for that purpose (Bridge pickup and middle pickup together) when I add some more chordal jams along with the rhythm player in my band--that position gives some nice Bobby color I think.

Just to correct, the 2 pickups in a normal Tele are not wired out of phase, they are wired parallel in the middle setting. Out of phase wiring would give you a nasal, slightly honking and thin sound. In series wiring would be the other type typically used in a 4 way switch for a combination setting, and would give you a fatter and louder output than the normal parallel wiring.
shadowboxer
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby Searing75 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:55 am

shadowboxer wrote:
Searing75 wrote:

Just to correct, the 2 pickups in a normal Tele are not wired out of phase, they are wired parallel in the middle setting. Out of phase wiring would give you a nasal, slightly honking and thin sound. In series wiring would be the other type typically used in a 4 way switch for a combination setting, and would give you a fatter and louder output than the normal parallel wiring.

I was referring to the typical Jerry Guitar PUP layout, as I believe was Mattman also. The PUP's when used together, in this style set up, are out of phase.
All's well that sounds well.
Searing75

Postby shadowboxer » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:47 pm

Sorry, my bad, Generalgoldilocks was talking about the telecaster and I thought Mattman was too. Should have read it more closely.
shadowboxer
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby tatittle » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:49 pm

Re: volume threshold, like Purpletrails said, it is much different ime standing in front of a cranked amp outdoors or in large venue than in a low-ceiling bar etc. Further the volume doesnt bother me as much when it is myself playing, maybe because I know beforehand when the peaks and valleys volumewise will be coming and thus can prepare for them. But Im sure alot of withstanding that volume was adaptability over the years. Ive had some tinnitus symptoms myself and it is not pleasant at all.

I might argue that outside of the Mutron, Garcia's technique and melodic sense (and dexterity) have more to do with his recognizable uniqueness than his tone, at least relative to other players immediately recognizable. To experienced ears there is definitely a unique tone, but to the masses Id bet it is the phrasing that alerts them to the fact Garcia is the one playing more than tone. That may not be as true with effects heavy legends like Hendrix (at least at that time) e.g...
tatittle

Location: Johns Island, SC via NJ; Bklyn; Detroit; Charleston; Boulder; Miami; D.C.; etc

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone