Poll of the Day - Jerry Tone (Equipment Only) Ranking Poll

Poll of the Day - Jerry Tone (Equipment Only) Ranking Poll

Postby MikeInMarin » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:22 am

I thought it would be cool to get everyone's opinions on a poll as to which pieces of Jerry's equipment contributed the most to his tone. And also how one would approach the prioritizing of the equipment acquisition.

Choices to Rank In Importance (first to last on poll)

Guitar - (Tiger or a good clone)
Preamp - Twin BF or similar, well-respected clone like SMS Classic
Power Amp - McIntosh
Speakers - JBL

Without trying to make this really complicated, I am assuming that:

1. Playing technique is consistent. Keeping this just to the equipment components and not trying to minimize the value of technical ability of the player. Assume it is you or someone very good at sounding like Jerry, regardless of any equipment whatsoever.

2. Era is Tiger in the 80s (again, for simplicity's sake).

3. Please feel free to put in a completely bogus email or name too. I didn't know how to avoid asking that with this google poll, but I tested it and it's completely free form. Not trying to collect any info on anybody.

4. I will post results (assuming you care or cannot look at them yourself when you want...haven't tested that ).

Thanks for playing ! Here is the link https://shar.es/1lkRZR
MikeInMarin
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Re: Poll of the Day - Jerry Tone (Equipment Only) Ranking Po

Postby bcresci » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:48 pm

As far as tone per dollar goes, put me down for the pick. I was blown away when comparing two different 2mm picks - one was dark and muddy, the other bright and clear. A few weeks ago the Adamas graphites were still being sold in bags of 15.
bcresci
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby MikeInMarin » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:22 pm

bcresci wrote:As far as tone per dollar goes, put me down for the pick. I was blown away when comparing two different 2mm picks - one was dark and muddy, the other bright and clear. A few weeks ago the Adamas graphites were still being sold in bags of 15.

It's funny that you said that, because I just ordered my first one(s) on saturday. I got a bag of 12 for about $16 from Dunlop directly. They were sold out or a lot more everywhere else I could find. Can't wait to try them !

But perhaps I should have been clearer for the survey that it should exclude any other equipment not mention. There's always at least one person that finds the loophole. :lol:
MikeInMarin
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby Searing75 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:00 pm

The Adamas pick is a must!

Out of the gear you mentioned, I would say the JBL, but his tone is very system dependent. You really need all of the parts to attain the whole.
All's well that sounds well.
Searing75

Postby tatittle » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:21 pm

Lemme say guitar and specifically pickup.

But my real answer would be his ear and ability to dial in a tone he likes regardless of rig or what the set-up is. He likes certain qualities as he percieves them and dials in rig accordingly. Somebody who doesnt share this sympathetic ear may dial in a sound with all the right equiptment that doesnt capture the right tones as well as a mostly wrong rig dialed in properly.
tatittle

Location: Johns Island, SC via NJ; Bklyn; Detroit; Charleston; Boulder; Miami; D.C.; etc

Postby MikeInMarin » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:44 pm

No doubt the guitar is a huge piece. An example would be where you had the guitar and another combo amp, especially a Twin or a Mesa Boogie Mark "x" that does the twin thing well.

What I am personally most interested in right now, is have people rank the pieces, most of which I do not have, so that I can prioritize my purchase power. I have a reasonable facscimile of the guitar (actually 2 of them, a strat, and more importantly, a PRS knockoff with SD IIs and an SDS-1). And after a few weeks of playing it, I realize now that the rest of my gear is sorely lacking. The guitar sounded great to me for a few weeks, and now I realize that I definitely do not have the right speakers, and I do not really have the preamp or power amp either. So it seems (since I have a fender hr deville and a Super Champ XD head), that I am really in need of 1 or 2 JBLs (waiting on someone to get back to me from Craigslist about 2 K120s for $250...might be a bit of a scam as he has not responded since I asked him about actually playing through them when I come over) and an right after that, a pre-amp. I figured I can use the power section of my Deville, or perhaps buy something cheap for a temporary fix until I can find a MC50.

So I am very interested in a quantitative way of measuring everyone's opinions about my purchase priorities. And I figured it would be fun to try and put some objective/quantitative choice constraints around the 4 main pieces of equipment.
MikeInMarin
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby PurpleTrails » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:06 pm

Given where you're starting now, I'd vote for JBLs and the Adamas picks. If I was building from where you are, I'd probably move in this order:

1) picks
2) JBLs in the deville
3) extension cab (opens up more possibilities for upgrading the rest)
4) preamp & some power amp
5) McIntosh

Depending if you're playing out or not you might want to switch to a more traditional single channel fender amp like a blues jr or a twin, or even an older mesa boogie if you're shooting for early '80s tone.
PurpleTrails
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby RiseandFall » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:26 am

Well, for the sake of discussion we'll leave the hands out of the equation, but to my mind they have the biggest influence.
I'd say;
JBL's (go with the K's or the D's)
Picks
Pickups
Preamp
Mac
Obel
RiseandFall
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby aiq » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:42 am

My .02

Guitar with Tiger/Wolf design of some kind. Mine is a Olson Jerryfied Firebird, SS frets and titanium saddles. Very bright and clear to my ears.

Fender amp with JBLz, or a full blown Jerry-rig. I have Vibrolux with Weber Calis, two Deluxes with JBL 123 and a 1 x 12 with E120.

Then all the "little" things: pedals, strings, picks. At present: mxr EF, Earth Drive, wah, Rotosim, Octron, Obscura delay, Specular2 reverb. Strings, I am trying a few out Da Vinci at the moment, trying Pryamid nickel next.

All of this assumes the 10,000 hours, of course.

On the pick, I tried Adamas and Telefunken. I could not get rid of the static, tried all the tricks.

I tried a Gravity 2mm Mini Classic with the rough edge. Two years now, perfect for my thing.

I sm not going for a tribute sound but I want someone to hear the influence.

As always love the responses and the info.
Last edited by aiq on Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
aiq

Postby MikeInMarin » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:44 am

PurpleTrails wrote:Given where you're starting now, I'd vote for JBLs and the Adamas picks. If I was building from where you are, I'd probably move in this order:

1) picks
2) JBLs in the deville
3) extension cab (opens up more possibilities for upgrading the rest)
4) preamp & some power amp
5) McIntosh

Depending if you're playing out or not you might want to switch to a more traditional single channel fender amp like a blues jr or a twin, or even an older mesa boogie if you're shooting for early '80s tone.

Good suggestions...thanks !

Picks are on their way
JBLs are actively being pursued. The DeVille is a 4x10, so the cab would need to be modified, but if the DeVille Power Amp delivers, I could do that (not counting on it). I think 2 JBLs (rather than just one) would be overkill though and the Amp would be way too heavy then.
I have a heavy Mesa 1x12 Cab with a Black Shadow in it that I can use if I decide 1 JBL (12") is the right start. I think it is. I don't see how I would need 2, given the volume requirements. I would not mind having a second JBL speaker as a backup though.
Preamp/Power Amp - I think I am going to order and SMS Classic JG today. I can try it through the power amp section of the DeVille to start and keep looking for a MC50 or perhaps try something cheaper and easier to find as a temporary solution.
MikeInMarin
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby MikeInMarin » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:49 am

aiq wrote:My .02

Guitar with Tiger/Wolf design of some kind.

Fender amp with JBLz, or a full blown Jerry-rig

Then all the "little" things: pedals, strings, picks.

All of this assumes the 10,000 hours, of course.

On the pick, I tried Adamas and Telefunken. I could not get rid of the static, tried all the tricks.

I tried a Gravity 2mm Mini Classic with the rough edge. Two years now, perfect for my thing.

I sm not going for a tribute sound but I want someone to hear the influence.

As always love the responses and the info.

Thanks for the .02 ! I am pretty good on the pedals as I don't really use much except the OD/Distortion and the mini QTron EF for Jerry stuff. I have a ton of pedals for covering other tunes. Probably need the Octave pedal at some point, depending on tunes.

Great info on the pics. I will keep that in mind (trying others) if the Adamas cause static or I hate how they feel and can't get used to them (probably doubtful, I use heavy picks now).

Yeah, the 10k hours go without saying. Been working on that part for about 30 years, and probably have only another 60 to go. ;-)

Great stuff man.
MikeInMarin
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby aiq » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:33 am

Nearly everything on my list is from here in modified form and some from TGP.
aiq

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:55 am

I think it depends on how close each item is to what he used. Are we talking ballpark replacements or totally different?

A stock Strat through Jerry's rig will get a pretty good Jerry tone while Tiger itself through a Marshall stack cranked to 11 certainly won't, for example.
Rusty the Scoob

Postby JDB30 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:31 pm

IMHO, technique is 90% of tone in almost every instance. Jerry would still sound like Jerry regardless of the gear. Don't believe me? Check out The Dead on borrowed gear from The Netherlands back in '81: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4p1zBuqYDk
JDB30
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby MikeInMarin » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:57 pm

JDB30 wrote:IMHO, technique is 90% of tone in almost every instance. Jerry would still sound like Jerry regardless of the gear. Don't believe me? Check out The Dead on borrowed gear from The Netherlands back in '81: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4p1zBuqYDk

So you are saying I should stick with my telecaster and Vox AC-15 if I want to play in a Dead tribute band ?

Yes, your point has been beaten to a pulp many times over and is frankly tiresome. The point was to get feedback on which parts of the currently- available equipment would contribute the most to his tone, for the rest of us mortals.
MikeInMarin
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Next

Return to Jerry Tone