Phil
Phil

Re: Poll of the Day - Jerry Tone (Equipment Only) Ranking Po

Postby alcorelectric » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:20 pm

imo
i think it wuld be tuff to find the right sound w/o at the very minimum
tiger style (tho i prefer wolf)
and a fender twin or similar
Altho the speakers hav a huge impact I think getting the ruff sound is where u shud start
btw dont discount the SF fenders as they are amazing
also a set of peavey black widows can get a great JBL sound (ask Brad Sarno himself as he seems to like them alot)
hth
T
alcorelectric
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby MikeInMarin » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:25 pm

alcorelectric wrote:imo
i think it wuld be tuff to find the right sound w/o at the very minimum
tiger style (tho i prefer wolf)
and a fender twin or similar
Altho the speakers hav a huge impact I think getting the ruff sound is where u shud start
btw dont discount the SF fenders as they are amazing
also a set of peavey black widows can get a great JBL sound (ask Brad Sarno himself as he seems to like them alot)
hth
T

Thanks T. I got the speaker yesterday (JBL K120) and it is fantastic. SMS JG Pre-Amp coming soon. And I won an eBay auction today for a pair of MC50s. So I am in great shape.
I did consider getting a twin for a while, but it's way too much amp for what I need and it's big and heavy too. I need something I can play at reasonable levels that sounds great.

Mike
MikeInMarin
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby TI4-1009 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:06 am

Soooo.... poll results?
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby JustinJohn » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:56 am

...Just a quick thought/opinion about the Adamas 2mm Graphite pick... I've noticed several folks chose it as the #1 piece of gear which gets one closest to Jerry's 80's/Tiger tone, and I simply can't agree. With all due respect to everyone who feels that way... I use the Adamas pick exclusively, and I love it. I acknowledge that it indeed adds a certain sonic component, a subtle "chirp" for lack of a better word, that is evident when using it and recognizable when listening to recordings of Jerry, also it feels really good. But I can't see how those subtle inflections warrant it as the #1 piece contributing to 80's Jerry tone.

My Girlfriend brought me a thick nylon pick from a music festival she attended recently; I used that pick for a set while playing with my band and, while it didn't sound exactly like the Adamas pick (which I switched back to at the setbreak), it worked well enough, sounded good enough, and I doubt anyone really noticed. By contrast, I've played on stage through a friend's rig which is very similar to mine except no McIntosh and slightly different speakers, and the difference was profound; my guitar/Adamas pick included.

I would agree that if you already have a Waldo TPC1 and the right pickups, a proper preamp, and decent speakers, the pick can bump you up quite a bit into the Jerry-zone with it's unique feel and sound. Also, as far as "biggest bang for the buck", at $17/dozen from the manufacturer, one could argue it gives the most push for the money spent... In the grand scheme of things though, a "new-to-Jerry" guitarist starting from scratch and assembling gear, IMHO, the Adamas pick is not nearly as important as guitar electronics, pre-amp, or speakers.

...my $.02

:smile: :smile: :smile:
Current Rig: http://gbb.octorok.net/justin_rig.htm
My Dead Tribute Band: GBB
JustinJohn
Billy
Billy

Postby PurpleTrails » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:33 am

I think there was a certain amount of ambiguity in the OP. He asked for ranking equipment by how vital it was to getting to Jerry tone, but also said he was using that to prioritize his purchase order. Using the former there is no way the pick would be first, but on the latter it is easily the cheapest and quickest to implement, and does have a substantive effect. I was surprised by the difference it made switching from a 2.0 mm big stubby, and my Jerry rig is basically a vintage silverface twin with JBLs and an in the ballpark version of his pedal board.
PurpleTrails
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby tatittle » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:51 pm

Dollar for dollar I might vote for some real Lysergic over the pick lol. Two variables I had issues adapting my playing to are the 2mm pick and the ceramic magnet pups (SDS-1/Super 2). Guess Id vote for the preamp; no doubt it was the most consistent variable over his career.

I didn't see the link to the poll the 1st read thru. I imagine I'm not the only one judging from the posts. I switched my rankings to 1. JBL 2. Mc 3. AB763 4. guitar after considering which I would choose if I could only have that choice in a rig.
Last edited by tatittle on Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tatittle

Location: Johns Island, SC via NJ; Bklyn; Detroit; Charleston; Boulder; Miami; D.C.; etc

Postby pablomago » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:46 pm

I'd say the JBL's are the main constant from all of Jerry's rigs. Picks, guitars, amps all changed over the years. The McIntosh's were there for most of the time. Different guitars and picks. The picks were probably more consistent then the guitars. The setups of the guitars were probably fairly consistent as well. That might be more of a factor then the guitars themselves.
pablomago
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby GeneralGoldilocks » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:01 pm

I'm going to vote AB763 preamp. It is a whole package, though. I heard a luthier say that once. Not one component makes or breaks a guitar, it a sum of it's parts, same with Garcia's rig.
like waves against the bandstand dancers broke
GeneralGoldilocks
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby Ebearius » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:25 am

I'm going to say, "reverb". No matter the source, I don't think you can get the characteristic Jerry crackle, clang, sweetness without it.
Ebearius
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Previous

Return to Jerry Tone