Alembic Tribute vs Lieber's "Garcia"

Alembic Tribute vs Lieber's "Garcia"

Postby Terrapin77 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:09 am

Hi everyone,
I am new to the forum and am beginning my quest to build my Jerry rig from scratch.

Which guitar do you think is better?

Also, looking to purchase Tamayo Wolf. Is it worth it?

Has anyone tried Mutron 3 vs. Wonderlove and Protron? Just wodering if they are worth the try or should I go Tru Tron?

Thanks
Terrapin77
welcome
welcome

Re: Alembic Tribute vs Lieber's "Garcia"

Postby waldo041 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:20 am

Welcome, Your questions are great candidates for the rukind search function.

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby JustinJohn » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:50 pm

As far as which guitar is better, or which pedal or poweramp; it's really a matter of preference and how big of a pocketbook you have. There are several builders out there capable of making "jerry" guitars that have most of the functionality and feel of the real deal. The Alembic and Lieber guitars happen to be on one end of the monetary spectrum... That doesn't necessarily make them "better" than the alternatives.

I'm sure everyone on this forum would more or less agree that while gear certainly has a big role to play in that tone and feel we all strive for, it can only go so far. The real true magic of that sound is in the hands of the player. The technique.

Hope that helps a little. Welcome to the forum!

(~);}
JustinJohn
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby Jon S. » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:48 am

+1 to JustinJohn's sagacious post.
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby Mr.Burns » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:01 am

JustinJohn wrote:I'm sure everyone on this forum would more or less agree that while gear certainly has a big role to play in that tone and feel we all strive for, it can only go so far. The real true magic of that sound is in the hands of the player. The technique.

Not everyone would agree with that statement. I do, but the gear vs. hands debate has raged here since I've been on this forum.
Mr.Burns
Phil
Phil

Postby waldo041 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:41 am

Mr.Burns wrote:
JustinJohn wrote:I'm sure everyone on this forum would more or less agree that while gear certainly has a big role to play in that tone and feel we all strive for, it can only go so far. The real true magic of that sound is in the hands of the player. The technique.

Not everyone would agree with that statement. I do, but the gear vs. hands debate has raged here since I've been on this forum.

I agree with the JustinJohn quoted statement, the technique is most certainly a huge factor when trying to emulate a certain players sound. The "debate" always "rages" when some state that it is the "ONLY" factor in his sound. They refuse the fact that the gear is a factor in the sound as well. It is given that it is a much smaller factor, but a factor nonetheless. Jerry is the constant in the debate, but through the years the end result is different because of the guitar or gear he played during any given moment. Some cannot differentiate his technique from his tone. That is why there will always be the debate.

~waldo
Last edited by waldo041 on Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby milobender » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:27 am

+1 for both JustinJohn and Waldo :smile:
IO Custom Guitars
www.iocustomguitars.com
Everything we know is wrong...
milobender

Postby playingdead » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:09 am

Terrapin77 wrote:Hi everyone,
I am new to the forum and am beginning my quest to build my Jerry rig from scratch.

Which guitar do you think is better?

Also, looking to purchase Tamayo Wolf. Is it worth it?

Has anyone tried Mutron 3 vs. Wonderlove and Protron? Just wodering if they are worth the try or should I go Tru Tron?

Thanks

The question I have for you is what is the intended use? If you want to set up a 1978 Jerry Garcia shrine in your basement (or living room or wherever), and you want all the authentic stuff including the closest Wolf you can get, then the path is clear.

If you intend to be in a band and gig with the gear, that's a different set of parameters ... are you playing in rooms and settings where an authentic Garcia rig will not overwhelm and deafen everybody? Do you have a beefy roadie to muscle around a 200 pound power amp and effects rack and 100 pound speaker cabinet for you? Or do you weigh 100 pounds soaking wet and are going to be struggling to load this into a Mini Cooper for every gig and rehearsal?

If it's the former, and you want a Wolf, I would recommend the Moriarty Wolf if he is taking orders. The Alembic Furthur and Tribute guitars have completely different electronics in it than the fat man himself used. It's still a great sounding guitar, but it's not "exactly perfect." I believe the Tamayo Wolf was a one-off build ... I have seen and played that guitar (upside down) and it's nice but it has a very beefy neck profile that might not be to your liking. The Lieber "Garcia," if I remember correctly, was a $30,000 guitar ... how deep are your pockets?

You can debate tone vs. technique all day long, but there are many ways to get in the ballpark sonically, from smaller club rigs (SMS preamp, Class D power amp, 1x12 JBL), to all digital rigs that go direct (like mine) to other scaled up or scaled down scenarios (smaller Mac, 2x12 instead of 3x12, etc.). As far as envelopes, before I went the all digital route I had both an older MuTron and a Q-Tron ... both were good, I thought the Q-Tron was a little fatter and more consistent, but I've never been about being totally exact with everything. You use the envelope on just a tune or two a night anyway, so don't get too hung up on that.

The digital path works for me because it's 100 percent consistent regardless of the acoustics or parameters of where we are playing and it's easy to move (2 rack spaces is all it takes) ... that was important to me -- I got tired hauling around that heavy 2X12 with the E-120s and two rack cases. The purists would not agree ... but different strokes, you know?
playingdead

Postby Jon S. » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:33 am

"Everything affects everything."

Former Orioles manager Earl Weaver (in response to a reporter's question, "If you had not pinch hit for your center fielder in the 6th inning, might that 7th inning double have been caught?")

P.S. I think the Buddha said it, too. :P
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby RiseandFall » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:04 pm

Unread postby Jon S. » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:33 pm
"Everything affects everything."

Former Orioles manager Earl Weaver (in response to a reporter's question, "If you had not pinch hit for your center fielder in the 6th inning, might that 7th inning double have been caught?")

Jon S.
I think Buddah and Earl Weaver were much alike. Maybe Buddah didn't get thrown out of as many games though...(also...I imagine Weaver didn't really have a need to pull Paul Blair very much....)
RiseandFall
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby tcsned » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:13 pm

Jon S. wrote:"Everything affects everything."

Earl was a genius.
tcsned

Postby hippieguy1954 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:45 pm

milobender wrote:+1 for both JustinJohn and Waldo :smile:

+1
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby Jon S. » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:53 pm

A momentary aside - two Thursdays ago, if I may. :smile:

Jon S.

Postby mgbills » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:36 pm

The road to Mecca seems to pass some painted ladies!

Is the port-o-potty still outside? :lol:
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby tatittle » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:11 am

I am thinking the current housing demand in SF combined with higher taxes/regulation puts 710 rent firmly out of the reach of local bands these days(provenance aside).
tatittle

Location: NJ via Bklyn; Detroit; Charleston; Boulder; Miami; D.C.; etc

Next

Return to Jerry Tone