Dual Sound Demo

Dual Sound Demo

Postby James-T » Tue May 27, 2014 4:15 pm

Every time I make one of these video's I learn more about my gear, and hopefully other's get something out of it as well. I'm captivated by the Dual Sound and SDS-1 Dimarzio pick-ups. This demo focuses on the Dual Sound. Good timing I figured with Vic's experiments with the Dual Sound.

I think I've got a great combo, a particularly bright sounding PRS, a Wald Electronics preamp and the Dual Sound stuck between a Bare Knuckles Stormy Monday and a PRS Dragon II Bass pickup. My pick-up settings through the 6 minutes of playing are exclusively on the Dual Sound or the Dual Sound mixed with the Dragon II in and out of single coil modes- except at 3:54 where I switch on the Dragon II by accident.

This particular pick-up has some really acoustic like qualities. Really bell like. - and I think the real magic of the pick-up is how it interacts with Mike's preamp to get those amazing clean tones.

I'm playing through my 73 Vibrolux. Guess the speaker if you will. :-)

Peace,

James

James-T
Phil
Phil

Re: Dual Sound Demo

Postby tcsned » Tue May 27, 2014 4:28 pm

nice tone and playing! That PRS is a sweet sounding guitar.
tcsned

Postby James-T » Thu May 29, 2014 7:44 am

Hey thanks TC!

Well no one wanted to play everyone's fun game; guess that speaker. But who likes an open ended question anyway? How about multiple choice:

A. Austin Alinco Elegante 12
B. Blackbird JP 12 100 BP - Jensen
C. California 12 - Weber
D 120F
E120

Hint. I don't own the first 3.

Peace,

James
James-T
Phil
Phil

Postby Griffyote » Thu May 29, 2014 7:56 am

That D120F sounds heavenly. Absolutely beautiful tone and riffing to my ears. :hail: the dreamy videography goes well too.
Say James, who did most of the major work on the PRS?
Griffyote
Brent
Brent

Postby James-T » Thu May 29, 2014 8:18 am

Hey thanks!

My guitar tech/ luthier is Pual Iverson who works out of Tom Lee Music in North Vancouver BC.

Arguably the best go to guy for mods in the province.

He did a great job. I had to source the gold covered Dual Sound direct from Dimarzio. It's a stock part in their offerings but they did have to build it for me as they don't typically have them ready to go. While I was at it I ordered 3 matching PU rings. The advantage of the CU22 is there is lots of room for a middle pup.

This was a fun project. I wanted to make it look like it came that way from PRS. They make a great guitar.

Any other's want to wager on answer D?

Peace,

James
James-T
Phil
Phil

Postby Griffyote » Thu May 29, 2014 11:56 am

Hmmm, I have a PRS standard 24 fret. I'll have to get out the scale and see if I even have room for another pickup. Or maybe build a neck through guitar myself. I hate to cut on the PRS.but I also have a hard time imagining myself building something that plays as well.
Griffyote
Brent
Brent

Postby tcsned » Thu May 29, 2014 12:03 pm

Griffyote - I don't know where your building skills are but Doug darling at Soulmate Guitars makes really nice through-necks. I've got one that I love, also a bolt next from him that is just as nice. Not too expensive.
tcsned

Postby milobender » Thu May 29, 2014 2:50 pm

Unfortunately Doug isn't making necks at least until next year... He really does good work, at a very reasonable price... it's forced me to go back to making my own "o)
Everything we know is wrong...
www.9mileskid.com
milobender
Jerry
Jerry

Postby tcsned » Thu May 29, 2014 3:52 pm

milobender wrote:Unfortunately Doug isn't making necks at least until next year... He really does good work, at a very reasonable price... it's forced me to go back to making my own "o)

Bummer, that Doug isn't making them right now.
tcsned

Postby James-T » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:37 am

Hey Griffyote,

That D120F sounds heavenly.

Said with authority. I find when you say things with authority folks believe you! ...but actually it's my E120 not my D120F. I guess it's pretty hard to tell the difference. Splitting hairs almost on tone. The E120 is growing on me. Good purchase. Another local CL score.

Thanks again for the kind words!

Peace,

James
James-T
Phil
Phil

Return to Jerry Tone