3 Way Bypass Box

3 Way Bypass Box

Postby NQL » Sat May 17, 2014 4:50 am

Greetings everyone: Does anyone know how to make Waldo's "Tuner Out Bypass Box" into a 3way to switch between two
different Amps and a tuner? What type of switch and a wiring diagram.
NQL
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound

Re: 3 Way Bypass Box

Postby schmidtz » Sat May 17, 2014 7:08 am

If you want three functions, you'll need more than one binary switch. If I'm thinking correctly, you want the following functions:
1. Amp one activated
2. Amp two activated
3. Tuner activated

This would need two switches, one to toggle between amps, and one to activate the tuner. You could use a fun dual color led to show which amp is activated!

If this is what you want, I can draw up a layout for you.
"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."
schmidtz
Jester
Jester

Postby milobender » Sat May 17, 2014 8:14 am

You could also use a 3 position switch... a 3p3t, but they are hard to find... I'd use a 4p3t.... and that would include the LED indicator.
IO Custom Guitars
http://www.9mileskid.com
Everything we know is wrong...
milobender
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby schmidtz » Sat May 17, 2014 10:13 am

True, and it would be trivial to implement a rotary switch solution. I was thinking of a box to sit next to the other stomp boxes, to be worked with the feet.
schmidtz
Jester
Jester

Postby milobender » Sat May 17, 2014 10:39 am

Stomp switches like that are easy to get... Small Bear has them... as well as the rest of what you'll need.
IO Custom Guitars
milobender
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby Searing75 » Sat May 17, 2014 11:55 am

Simple A/B box. Google it. Very easy to build.

For tuning, just use a snark. They rule! I was skeptical at first, but now I will never not use one! :cool:

Chris
All's well that sounds well.
Searing75
Billy
Billy

Postby waldo041 » Sat May 17, 2014 1:12 pm

Searing75 wrote:Simple A/B box. Google it. Very easy to build.

For tuning, just use a snark. They rule! I was skeptical at first, but now I will never not use one! :cool:

Chris

Yes, you can use the Tuner Bypass Box as the simple A/B box and use a Snark for a Tuner just as Searing75 stated. But if you want a box here is something you can make.

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby NQL » Sat May 17, 2014 2:07 pm

Thanks Waldo that's exactly what I was looking for.
You are such a great asset to this whole vibe!
Again Thank you.
NQL
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound

Postby schmidtz » Sat May 17, 2014 5:06 pm

milobender wrote:Stomp switches like that are easy to get... Small Bear has them... as well as the rest of what you'll need.

I'm sorry to be the guy to not let something die, but there is no such thing as a XP3T (replacing X with any number) stomp switch. Think about it; there would need to be three different positions for the switch to be in, when there is only up and down. There are only single and double throw stomp switches. Perhaps you are thinking about the 4PDT switch that smallbear has herehttp://www.smallbearelec.com/servlet/Detail?no=1073
schmidtz
Jester
Jester

Postby milobender » Sat May 17, 2014 5:41 pm

Yep, you're right :D you'd need two of them like Waldo's schematic. I was just thinking of the stomp function and multi-tasking, at which I'm sorely lacking :smile:
IO Custom Guitars
milobender
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby tcsned » Sat May 17, 2014 6:18 pm

I'm not an electronics guy by any stretch of the imagination but I have a Boss ABY pedal and it does do essentially three functions in one switch. A, B, and both A & B. It cycles through one by one I think.

I have no clue how this is done or if the same thing would work here, just a thought.
tcsned

Postby waldo041 » Sat May 17, 2014 6:26 pm

tcsned wrote:I'm not an electronics guy by any stretch of the imagination but I have a Boss ABY pedal and it does do essentially three functions in one switch. A, B, and both A & B. It cycles through one by one I think.

I have no clue how this is done or if the same thing would work here, just a thought.

The Tuner Bypass Box is nothing more then just a passive A/B box, no Y or Both. What I have drawn here is just an passive A/B but with one of those sides having the function of being able to be split as well. So it is an A/B1-B2 box, with none of them being able to be used as the same time. The one thing that needs to be taken into consideration with the Dual B box is a ground loop, only one preamp/amp/combo needs to be grounded.

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby tcsned » Sat May 17, 2014 7:26 pm

waldo041 wrote:
tcsned wrote:I'm not an electronics guy by any stretch of the imagination but I have a Boss ABY pedal and it does do essentially three functions in one switch. A, B, and both A & B. It cycles through one by one I think.

The Tuner Bypass Box is nothing more then just a passive A/B box, no Y or Both. What I have drawn here is just an passive A/B but with one of those sides having the function of being able to be split as well. So it is an A/B1-B2 box, with none of them being able to be used as the same time. The one thing that needs to be taken into consideration with the Dual B box is a ground loop, only one preamp/amp/combo needs to be grounded.

~waldo

That makes sense to me.
tcsned

Return to Jerry Tone