Waldo buffer and battery levels

Re: Waldo buffer and battery levels

Postby TeeJay » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:49 pm

Is there any noise/interference running DC power along side the signal wire in the two conductor cable?
TeeJay
Billy
Billy

Postby Gr8fulCadi » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:29 pm

"Also...anyone having issues with Switchcraft stereo jacks. My Strat just went all intermittent on me. I thought it was the GCX".

Absolutely!! Replaced one in my strat also, about 1yr ago. That one jus flaked out a couple days ago, so I'm on my third.
Gr8fulCadi
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby milobender » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:59 pm

mgbills wrote:Thanks TeeJay. Life if too short not to dance a little.

Brian...So this becomes the OBEL j-box as well? Are those Stereo Mains? Is that the reason for the two 1/4" jacks?

Also...anyone having issues with Switchcraft stereo jacks. My Strat just went all intermittent on me. I thought it was the GCX.

BTW...Voodoo labs. Great company!!! My Furman conditioner & my OBEL stereo jack simultaneously flipped out. When I call Voodoo labs to see if they'd service the GCX they were going to fix it gratis. No idea how old that unit is. Bought it years ago from a fellow RuKind member.

Thanks!

Yes, it's the OBEL box as well... Not stereo mains, just extra outs for cable in the back, tuner box, etc... I can make any combination you can imagine, to run multiple outs, A channel, B channel, AB together, etc...

I haven't noticed any particular Switchcraft jack problems. I routinely get rejects from time to time no matter what brand, jack, switch, pot, etc...
IO Custom Guitars
http://www.iocustomguitars.com
Luthier and Quilter Amplification Dealer
Everything we know is wrong...
milobender

Postby milobender » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:00 pm

mgbills wrote:Thanks TeeJay. Life if too short not to dance a little.

Brian...So this becomes the OBEL j-box as well? Are those Stereo Mains? Is that the reason for the two 1/4" jacks?

Also...anyone having issues with Switchcraft stereo jacks. My Strat just went all intermittent on me. I thought it was the GCX.

BTW...Voodoo labs. Great company!!! My Furman conditioner & my OBEL stereo jack simultaneously flipped out. When I call Voodoo labs to see if they'd service the GCX they were going to fix it gratis. No idea how old that unit is. Bought it years ago from a fellow RuKind member.

Thanks!

Yes, it's the OBEL box as well... Not stereo mains, just extra outs for cable in the back, tuner box, etc... I can make any combination you can imagine, to run multiple outs, A channel, B channel, AB together, etc...

I haven't noticed any particular Switchcraft jack problems. I routinely get rejects from time to time no matter what brand, jack, switch, pot, etc...
IO Custom Guitars
milobender

Postby milobender » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:04 pm

TeeJay wrote:Is there any noise/interference running DC power along side the signal wire in the two conductor cable?

DC current itself doesn't make noise... It takes an alternating current to do that. However, I'm careful in the enclosure not to make ground loops or position any cabling by the transformer... that definitely makes noise.

Also, it takes some modifying inside the guitar, to the guitar jack and the way the battery is usually integrated, using the ground completion switching. I can install a dip switch inside the guitar to make it a switchable situation... otherwise, it's either a battery guitar, or a remote power supply guitar.
IO Custom Guitars
milobender

Postby Gr8fulCadi » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:02 am

Not to derail this thread, But I went to change out the stereo jack last night and notice some of that greenish patina at both points where it comes in contact with the plug. Cleaned them up and the Jack works no prob. I'm using a monster cable with a 'gold' plated plug so that may have been the cause of corrosion/patina,,,,,due to the two different metals?
Gr8fulCadi
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby Jon S. » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:21 pm

This article may be common knowledge already but in case helpful, it discusses 4 buffer options, CAE, Bartolini, Wald, and CAL. https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/21437-guitar-shop-101-how-to-install-an-onboard-buffer-system-in-a-strat Most of us are already familiar with CAE and Wald (I myself have guitars with each - both sound good) but I, at least, was not with the last option, Creation Audio Labs (CAL). The article's author writes,

Several companies—including CAE Sound, Bartolini, and Wald Electronics—make onboard buffer kits. Here in Nashville, a buffer called the Redeemer (Photo 2) is popular with studio and touring guitarists. After producer Michael Wagener at WireWorld Studios introduced me to the device, I was impressed enough to recommend it to my customers who want the benefits of a buffered circuit.

While it’s not the only game in town, the Redeemer offers superb specs and costs less than $50 direct from Creation Audio Labs, who manufacture the system. It even has a “dead battery” mode that lets you finish the set even if the circuit’s 9V battery is on the ropes.
/ `--'(
< [] []////////|::: )
\_.--.(
Jon S.

Postby kurt eye » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:27 pm

kurt eye wrote:
chipperj wrote:I have this problem a bunch, and I'm convinced it's a quality control issue with the batteries. It happens both with Everyday and Duracell- I put in a new battery, and it sounds even worse than before I switched out the old one. I try another one and it's fine. It seems to happen more when I use a new one out of one of a bulk package, bought at Costco.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is the issue. I just plowed through a 4 pack of cheap Rayovacs that I bought at Lowes. According to the multimeter they still test out in the high 8 or low 9 volt range, but perhaps its an amperage issue?

I'm currently into about 4 hours of use on a cheap Walgreen's brand battery. I'm taking the battery out of the box when I'm done playing. I'm hoping this one goes the distance.

I've been going strong on this battery for 2 1/2 weeks. I've left it in the battery box for most of this time, so it doesn't appear to be a faulty wiring issue or the buffer causing it to rapidly drain. I think I just had pack of shit batteries.
Shall we go, you and I while we can? Through the transitive night fall of diamonds...
kurt eye
Mickey
Mickey

Previous

Return to Jerry Tone