Cool historic amp

Cool historic amp

Postby James-T » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:35 pm

Sure its a Fender Bassman...but hey they are all the rage now for guitarists!

Looks like it was modded for an effects loop. Remember those lettering imprint guns with the rolls of heavy tape for doing labels - from the 70's? I just had a flashback. :shock:

Nice tie dye too! :smile: Courtenay told me the tie dyes on those old amps were set on plywood and screwed on. You can see that in this image.

Peace,

James
James-T
Phil
Phil

Re: Cool historic amp

Postby tatittle » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:03 pm

Looks to have at least 1 extra pot on the front ch. 2 in above picture. Unless its a master...it has far more pots than Bassmans I recall though, no trem, no rev, no mid usually.

Just looked at website..its a Dual Showman likely 1968-9, that explains all the pots. Still 1 extra though. Marked as ch. 2 inputs for effects loop.
tatittle
Jerry
Jerry

Location: NJ via Bklyn; Detroit; Charleston; Boulder; Miami; D.C.; etc

Postby James-T » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:27 am

its a Dual Showman likely 1968-9

So if you are a guitar player.......even more reason to spend 5K on it! I thought it was a Bassman LOL!

:-)

Peace,

James
James-T
Phil
Phil

Postby TI4-1009 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:40 am

Might be a Courtenay tiedye, but I thought his were the more geometric from a little bit earlier. The later ones that were more "pastel" and flowery were done by others. Rosie's book has examples of that- I think she did some of them?
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby tatittle » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:23 am

Actually Bassmans have long been used by guitarists, I don't think they were ever very popular with Bass players (maybe in the 50's-early 60's). The Tweed Bassman 4x10 is considered one of the best blues amps ever, and the RI is marketed towards guitarists. Lotsa pro guitarists used various Bassman circuits back in the 60'70's.. Pete Townsend is all that comes to mind but there are lots. If you throw in the fact that the Marshall 45 was almost a direct copy of a tweed Bassman, the list gets ridiculous.
tatittle
Jerry
Jerry

Location: NJ via Bklyn; Detroit; Charleston; Boulder; Miami; D.C.; etc

Postby James-T » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:39 pm

If its a legit piece of GD gear from the early 70's its Court's. He did a lot of work for other bands back then as well. Pretty much cornered the market. He was on the E72 tour (he's in the book in the box set) with them as well in-between travelling around in a Rolls Royce with his persian princess. Apparently Weir's girlfriend had a travel company called Fly by Night back then and gave Courtenay an around the world ticket. He can tell the story much better than I can. :smile:

Peace,

James
James-T
Phil
Phil

Postby TI4-1009 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:35 pm

"Maybe yes, maybe no." -Rocky Rococo

"Milan was serious. He knew I was an experienced tie-dyer, having dyed hundreds of items from t-shirts to curtains, in addition to creating tie-dyed front panels for the speaker cabinets built by Alembic for the Dead's sound system and stage monitors."

-Rosie McGee, Dancing With the Dead, Chapter Seven: 1970.

Good photo of her cabs there too- and GREAT photos of the Courtenay tiedyes from the Chateau show in France.
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby James-T » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:53 pm

Who is Milan? and who is the tie dye artist Rosie is referring to?...its written like its in first person....herself?

You could be right. I think I posted something on FB, some tie dye NRPS amps and Court couldn't recall if those were his....I think...it was a while back.

Peace, :smile:

James
James-T
Phil
Phil

Return to Jerry Tone