25K vol with no onboard buff/blast

25K vol with no onboard buff/blast

Postby tatittle » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:45 am

My understanding is 25K pots are typically used with active/low impedance pups. If so, would using the 25K volume without the buffer or blaster before the volume compromise tone? Too trebly? I don't have either onboard yet (in the queue to do)...but I just realized I do have them in my effects loop (pedal) so the volume is seeing the same thing (albeit with addt'l 15 ft of cable). I haven't noticed a noticeable difference when FX loop is off (no buff/blast), but I haven't been looking for a change either.
tatittle
Bear
Bear

Location: NJ via Bklyn; Detroit; Charleston; Boulder; Miami; D.C.; etc

Re: 25K vol with no onboard buff/blast

Postby waldo041 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:21 am

The higher the resistive value the more high frequencies will get through, the lower resistive values will attenuate the high frequencies. A general rule is 250k for single coils and 500k for humbuckers. The 25k pot is used to keep the resistance low for the low impedance output of the buffer to eliminate the filter created by the interaction with the cables capacitance. Using a 25k volume pot on your pickups without a buffer will alter your pickups high frequencies in an adverse way.

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Re: 25K vol with no onboard buff/blast

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:22 pm

Agreed, a 25k pot on unbuffered pickups is a dramatic tone sucker, treble killer.

B
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Return to Jerry Tone